PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning fluid mounted negatives and slides

sanking
7-Mar-2006, 08:42
I have been wet scanning some of my medium format and 5X7 negatives, using either oil or kami mounting fluids Both substances leave some residue on the negative that must be wiped off. I would prefer to not have to wipe off my negatives for fear of scratching. Are there any liquid products in which I could safely soak my negatives to remove the residue from oil and kami fluids, thus avoiding having toi wipe them clean?

Bruce Watson
7-Mar-2006, 09:59
Are you talking about residue that is wet - from right after you pull the film from the scanner? Or residue that is dry?

The "normal" way to quickly go from scanner to dry film is to spray the film with film cleaner and wipe it off with a scanner wipe. You rotate the wipe as you go to avoid scratching. Both sides of course. If your residue is left after drying, you don't have a lot of choice but to use the film cleaner method.

If the residue is just Kami fluid on your film, rumor has it that you can hang the film to dry just like you would in the darkroom after final rinse. It's supposed to completely evaporate, and fairly quickly (minutes, not hours) Other fluids will too (like Prazio anti-Newton fluid) but take somewhat longer.

I've been drum scanning for years now, and I've never heard of a product you can soak film in to remove scanning fluids. That doesn't mean it's not out there somewhere. It just means that no one on any of the scanner forums that I participate in has brought the topic up, and none of my normal vendors offer such a product.

sanking
7-Mar-2006, 10:25
I was refering to the residue that stays on the film after it dries. In my experience just hanging the film to dry after mounting with Kami fluid leaves some type of residue on the film unless I wipe it first with film cleaner.

It would be convenient for my work flow if there were some kind of degreasing solution to which I could transfer the film immediately after scanning to get rid of the oil, followed perhaps by a wash. . Perhpas I will experiment on some scrap fiom with a mild form of one of the household degreasing agents, perhpas with a little alcohol added.

paulr
7-Mar-2006, 10:33
i find that most of the residue actually evaporates on its own. it seems like it won't, because some of it lingers for a while, but leaving the neg out for a couple of hours usually eliminates all of it.

when it doesn't, i think the cause is some oily muck that was on the neg in the first place, that was disolved by the mounting fluid, swished around, and then left behind.

to get this off, or to get the last of the fluid off when i'm impatient, i just use kimwipes and som pec-12. never once had a problem with scratching. i suspect most household grade solvents would be more likely to leave you with streaks than to get rid of them.

Henry Ambrose
7-Mar-2006, 11:58
Sandy, I'd try isopropyl alcohol. I think dipping the negs and then hanging would be a good method or perhaps misting them with a spray bottle would be a good alternative so you're always using clean liquid. Thats assuming that Bruce and paulr's suggestions don't do it for you. I have in the past seen tiny haze like scratches from PEC pads and other film cleaner wipes. I would not touch -my- film with them. There may be some that don't abrade but I've not seen them.

Bruce Watson
7-Mar-2006, 12:23
Just so you'll know, the MSDS for both Kami and Prazio anti-Newton fluid both indicate that the fluids are Naptha based. IIRC, basically lighter fluid. Clearly they are somewhat different because the have different evaporation rates, and Kami fluid is rumored to have some anti-static properties.

So, basically, you are using a solvent. To make a solvent go away, you typically use another, higher volitility solvent. Which is why the film cleaner route works.

If you decide to use something other than film cleaner, please post your results. Might be interesting.

Michael Rosenberg
7-Mar-2006, 18:33
Sandy,

I have been cleaning my film before enlarging using Recton film cleaner, available in the local camera stores. It is in a spray bottle. I spray the negative and then gently wipe with a PEC pad in one direction. It is very gentle and has anti-static properties. (It has vertually eliminated my need to spot prints!)

You could buy enough to dip the negative....... I would not suggest using PEC cleaner as it does tend to leave a residue. I believe that one of the components of the Recton cleaner is butyl alcohol, which does evaporate quickly. It would be a good solvent for naptha-like fluids. You could probably buy some from Fischer Scientific - aren't you at Clemson U??? There should be a scientific supply house near you where you could avoid hazardous shipping expenses.

Mike

www.mpr-rosenberg.com

sanking
9-Mar-2006, 22:35
I found a fairly simple solution to my problem. After scanning the negatives using Kami mounting fluid I placed them in a tray of water for about five minutes at abot 90F, with a small amount of dishwashing liquid. The brand was Sun Light Ultra, called the Grease Fighter, but I would suspect that most dishwashing liquids are very similar. I then washed the negative for about five minutes in running water, and rinsed them briefly in PhotoFlo before hanging to dry.

The dry negatives are clear of mounting fluid on both base and emulsion side. And no scratches at all.

I find this procedure much preferable to wiping with cleaning fluid, and the consequent risk of scratching.