PDA

View Full Version : Film developing stuff I learned today

esearing
24-Dec-2021, 10:31
1) I can process 2 sheets of 5x12 film in a 3 inch x 12inch cylinder tank (Nikkor 5 roll tank) using the taco method. I altered my dilution for Pyrocat-M to 22mlA + 18mlB +1800mlWater basically adding 45% over my normal 15mlA/15B for a single sheet as an educated guess. Processed my normal time of 13 minutes at 70*. Both images are normal looking.

2) When you accidentally load two sheets in the holder and don't know it until you unload the top sheet, you can leave that second sheet in the holder and expose it another day. For FP4+, the anti-halation layer prevented the initial exposure of the second sheet. I was hoping for a cool double exposure when I shot the second sheet by itself but that did not happen. I suppose scene brightness may come into play at some point and allow some light through. The initial shot was fairly early in the morning, and the second shot in brighter conditions. No double exposure evident.

3) TF5 fixer mixed 1:9 working solution is too weak after sitting for 3 months per the clip test. Replenishing 1800ml with 100ml stock was enough to bring it back for todays processing of 4 5x12 sheets. I put a sticker on the bottle to remind me to test before use.

Doremus Scudder
24-Dec-2021, 12:54
I don't know of a filmholder that will allow you to load two sheets one-on-top-of-the-other on one side. The 100+ 4x5 holders I have all have not enough space behind the hold-down rails for that to happen. What holders/film are you using?

As for fixer: Keeping a weak working solution of fixer for three months means it probably expired due to age and oxidation. It's not really a good idea to try replenishing it. Toss it and mix fresh. In the future, mix what working solution you need for a session if possible. The concentrate will keep substantially longer. By "replenishing," you basically mixed an even weaker fixing solution that may be contaminated by precipitated sulfur.

Best,

Doremus

Bob Salomon
24-Dec-2021, 13:51
I don't know of a filmholder that will allow you to load two sheets one-on-top-of-the-other on one side. The 100+ 4x5 holders I have all have not enough space behind the hold-down rails for that to happen. What holders/film are you using?

As for fixer: Keeping a weak working solution of fixer for three months means it probably expired due to age and oxidation. It's not really a good idea to try replenishing it. Toss it and mix fresh. In the future, mix what working solution you need for a session if possible. The concentrate will keep substantially longer. By "replenishing," you basically mixed an even weaker fixing solution that may be contaminated by precipitated sulfur.

Best,

Doremus

The LInhof Glass Plate/Sheet Film holders would let someone load two to a side. Not recommended though.

xkaes
24-Dec-2021, 14:32
We ALL screw-up!!!!

That's for SURE!!!

We've been there, and we understand!!!

My approach is to have a beer and turn up the music -- LOUD!!!!!

I prefer Pink Floyd or Cream, but I've found that La Traviata works just as well!!!

abruzzi
25-Dec-2021, 08:49
depends, the 4x5 sheets of Rollei IR (or other Aviphot 200 versions) are pretty thin, and I bet 2 sheets could easily fit in a holder.

esearing
25-Dec-2021, 14:39

Doremus

I have done it many times with 4x5 Riteway holders and now my chamonix 5x12 holders at least 3 times which gets expensive. I seem to be getting batches of film that stick together very tightly. I just opened a new box yesterday and had to bend the film slightly to get it apart. Even with that I still got two sheets I had to separate.

j.e.simmons
26-Dec-2021, 04:48
Doremus, I have lots of old Lisco and Riteway holders in 4x5. Over the 40-years I’ve used them, I’ve double loaded a number of times. I can’t tell which specific holder. Films I specifically remember have been Tri-X, FP4, and just a few weeks ago, cut down X-Ray film. If you haven’t made made the mistake of double loading yet, you still have something to accomplish in your large format career. Ha.

Tin Can
26-Dec-2021, 06:10
Guilty

I now edge flip with my thumb before loading, to detect double film

after loading I forefinger flip both side of film to check both sides are under the rails

I now more carefully cut X-Ray for better sizing, as sloppy cuts may cause problems

I cut a lot of X-Ray in one go and store in Paper Safes, a product I love in all sizes. up to 20X24"

fotopfw
26-Dec-2021, 06:39
As long as I shoot 8x10, on Vericolor, VHC, Ektachrome, Ektar, Portra almost all Kodak films, there's never a confusion. I use Lisco Regal and Fidelity Elite holders, and I can't fit two films inside. I can, by force. I have no experience with thin films, I guess it can happen there. That's why I load 5 holders at the same time, I must have 10 films then, if I have 9, I've double parked one. And I label the holders, with the film type and exp. date.

esearing
26-Dec-2021, 07:12
That's why I load 5 holders at the same time, I must have 10 films then, if I have 9, I've double parked one... Good idea - so 13 holders for 4x5 with one side empty for storing the 1/2 frame slide. My 5x12 I only have 3 holders and rarely shoot more than 3 sheets in an outing so still have to be careful there.

Per Madsen
26-Dec-2021, 11:41
We ALL screw-up!!!!

That's for SURE!!!

We've been there, and we understand!!!

My approach is to have a beer and turn up the music -- LOUD!!!!!

I prefer Pink Floyd or Cream, but I've found that La Traviata works just as well!!!

Heinrich Schütz also works (1585 -> 1672) (The missing link between Claudio Monteverdi and Johann Sebastian Bach)

Doremus Scudder
26-Dec-2021, 12:54
Funny, I use Fidelity Elite, Riteway, Lisco and a bunch of older wooden Graphic holders and have never been able to double-load a sheet of film. The second sheet jams up on the rails if I try. I use mostly Kodak 320 Tri-X and TMY, but have used BPF200 and a couple others in the past.

I do keep track of the film count when I load though, mostly to make sure I haven't missed a side.

Best,

Doremus

xkaes
26-Dec-2021, 15:19
That's why I use MIDO film holders. There is no way you can get TWO sheets of film in them. But that's not why I use them.

And when I get them loaded -- which is a pain in the butt -- I crank up the MONTEVERDI!!!

esearing
28-Dec-2021, 09:28
I need silence to concentrate in the darkroom - and usually close my eyes while loading film - even in a dark bag.
I don't know if its a getting older thing or not, but watching the hand on the graylab timer I sometimes forget if I am at 2 minutes or 3, or where I started. I need a digital countdown clock with start/stop button.

abruzzi
28-Dec-2021, 10:09
I need silence to concentrate in the darkroom - and usually close my eyes while loading film - even in a dark bag.

The weird thing I've discovered is I need to remove my glasses before loading film on the reel or in film holders. Its pitch black, but if I leave my glasses on I can't do it right.