PDA

View Full Version : Horseman vs. LF

Emre Yildirim
4-Mar-2006, 18:06
Hello folks,

Is there any difference between using a Horseman SW-612 and a 4x5 LF camera, and then cropping the image to equal the same size of the 6x12 negative produced from the Horseman? Assuming that both use the same lens, they should produce the exact same image (after the 4x5 negative is cropped to equal the 6x12), right?

I was just wondering, because I'm getting more and more interested in these panorama cameras. Then again, it appears that my LF camera can already produce the same kind of panoramas...I just need to crop the negative to make it look longer. Or am I wrong?

Jerry Fusselman
4-Mar-2006, 18:48
Your intuition did not fail you. If the same lens is on both, you get the same image, and even same depth of field---unless you would have used movements (perspective and focus-plane control) on the 4x5 that cannot be duplicated on the Horseman 612. With the Horseman, you gain film economy, and you are less likely to miss the decisive moment because you can shoot faster. But you lose movements, and you lose lens options.

Walt Calahan
4-Mar-2006, 18:57
Or buy a Horseman 612 back for your 4x5.

You get the movements, all your lenses, and you can shoot more quickly than changing 4x5 film holders or quickloads (readyloads).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=HOFB61245&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=22849

Paul Droluk
4-Mar-2006, 18:57
Emre... you are correct in your thinking. A cropped 4x5 is identical to a 6x12 image, using the SAME lens. The primary advantage of a dedicated 6x12 camera is its much smaller size/weight, and the use of 120/220 rollfilm. If the larger/heavier 4x5 camera is not a problem, you could add a 6x12 film back and use 120/220 film as well.

Emre Yildirim
4-Mar-2006, 21:25
Thanks everyone for making this clear. I thought I was right, but had to assure myself with the experts on here :)

Walter - You got me excited there for a second, until I saw the price! That's how much I paid for my lenses. Maybe I can find a used back somewhere...the idea of rollfilm seems interesting.

bglick
4-Mar-2006, 22:28
Emre, or shoot 5x7 Canham camera, then you can shoot LF and 6x17 with the same lenses, and plus your Panoramics are now at the norm, 3:1 aspect ratio, vs. 2:1. In addition you add movements to your pans... just a thought....

GPS
5-Mar-2006, 04:12
A dedicated 6x12 will give you the advantage of quick shooting, as it was said. That advantage alone can not only multiply your photographic output considerably but can steer you towards new subject that otherwise are not prone to LF photography. It's an entirely different field of photography that is accessible with a dedicated panoramic camera.

Leonard Evens
5-Mar-2006, 08:08
In principle, there is no difference. In practice, the Horseman-SW is designed to be used with short focal length lenses, down to 35 mm. With a large format camera, you might find it difficult to use such lenses, even with a bag bellows and a recessed lens board.

Walt Calahan
5-Mar-2006, 08:58
Emre

gps and Leonard both make valid points about the advantage of the dedicated body.

I was just assuming that you already have a 4x5 w/lenses, so didn't want the expense of a dedicated camera with roll film back.

Yes the price of a new 4x5 roll film back takes my breath away, I own two.

But check eBay and other venues for used gear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HORSEMAN-6x12-panoramic-Roll-Film-Back-Holder-Type-612_W0QQitemZ7592868860QQcategoryZ29979QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or stores such as Lens & Repro in NYC.

Glad we've all been helpful.

Brian Ellis
5-Mar-2006, 10:57
Right. Which is one reason I've never understood the appeal of roll film holders except as a means of carrying more film with less weight and bulk. It isn't difficult to visually crop on the ground glass, many ground glasses already contain cropping lines to help you do that. And if yours doesn't or if you find it difficult to visually crop just make a little carboard cropping frame in 6x12 (or whatever) dimensions and hold or tape it against the ground glass as you're composing).

GPS
5-Mar-2006, 13:22
"the appeal of roll film holders"... is often to fill some special needs for ex. in product photography where you need movements but you don't always need big formats. There the roll film holder comes to its own, exactly as digital backs do today.