PDA

View Full Version : 510 Pyro 1 Hour Stand

Tin Can
12-Dec-2021, 05:23
...https://youtu.be/l4RrXavL188

John Layton
12-Dec-2021, 06:24
I do have to try this sometime!

I was a bit surprised about no additional agitation - like at the halfway point for example, and this makes me wonder about images with broad areas (like skies or foggy seas) of little detail and equal tones...how these might stand up to relatively big enlargements.

Also wondering (thinking about bromide drag) if it may make a difference which film areas are placed on top in the (vertically oriented) tank, which if important would have further implications relative to vertical vs horizontal images. I would think that in the "broad skies and foggy seas" examples, especially with some moderately contrasty foreground detail, such orientation could make a real difference. Could anyone chime in on this? Steve Sherman...you around?

Michael R
12-Dec-2021, 07:37
Nonsense. Sorry.

Alan9940
12-Dec-2021, 08:00
FWIW, I've used 510 pyro off-and-on for many years and recently tried processing 120 roll film using the Rudiger Hartung semi-stand method as championed by Zone Imaging Lab (UK). I'll be kind and say the results were not good.

paulbarden
12-Dec-2021, 08:16
I've yet to discover a "stand" development option that did not result in blotchy, uneven densities and/or bromide drag and hotspots at the bottom of the tank. Although the negative Martin got from 510 Pyro/Stand looked very good, I'm still skeptical that most practitioners would reliably have the same results. I suspect he'd have gotten a nearly identical negative if he'd processed the film as prescribed for 510 Pyro.

I wish that when people did this kind of a test to demonstrate a process for the public, that they'd do a control study, comparing a control (processed normally) with the test subject. Its not very meaningful to just hold up a sheet of film and say "this is superior" unless you have a control to compare it to.

ruilourosa
14-Dec-2021, 07:32
Stand with pyro?

paulbarden
14-Dec-2021, 08:34
Stand with pyro?

Yes, its a known thing.

John Layton
14-Dec-2021, 14:11
Wasn't that written by Tammy Wynette? (hmmm...maybe her husband played with matches?) :confused:

Drew Wiley
15-Dec-2021, 15:33
She did not in fact stand with her man. Think she left him for another man because he was drinking too much pyro moonshine from an improperly agitated tank called a "still". .... still waitin' for it to develop .... still longer ....

Renato Tonelli
15-Dec-2021, 15:50
Semi-stand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRJOelLX0nc&t=102s

Jim Noel
15-Dec-2021, 16:16
I'll stick with my tried and true trays.

Michael Kadillak
16-Dec-2021, 13:12
Sometimes a positive outlier result causes a whole lot of angst among viewership encouraged to go down this road. The suggestion of doing a proper analysis to adequately test the process is the correct one. Like many respondents my first reaction when I heard the one hour stand with no agitation was "this is not going to end well". Go figure.....

esearing
18-Dec-2021, 06:07
Its worth burning a 4x5 sheet of film to try it. Pick a subject with full range of tones and take two shots same exposure. Develop one normally and one diluted for stand. Contact print both and decide if the approach works for you. Picking a dilution is the part where you are likely to fail initially.

Michael Kadillak
18-Dec-2021, 09:40
Its worth burning a 4x5 sheet of film to try it. Pick a subject with full range of tones and take two shots same exposure. Develop one normally and one diluted for stand. Contact print both and decide if the approach works for you. Picking a dilution is the part where you are likely to fail initially.

Clearly, if one wants to give it a go as you stated, there is no harm in that. However when you get the results back I would just mention that there are two substantive issues that fly in the face of trying to get beyond the initial test IMHO. The first is the know fact that there are developers such as catchetol based pyrocat and Rodinal that have been proven to work with stand or semi stand development and data with which to use from other users as a starting point. Conventional pyro has a storied history of leaving a litany of adverse artifacts on the negative because it is a highly energetic developer that mandates consistent movement with tray development being the optimal development process. The key here is repeatable results and the assurance that it will handle highlights such as clear skies which is where I would bet my last dollar is where the rubber meets the road on this test.