PDA

View Full Version : Making collodion negatives for Salt Printing.

paulbarden
4-Dec-2021, 15:02
In the past two weeks, I have been exploring options for making Salt Prints (https://flic.kr/p/2mNjLRd) as an alternative to Albumen Prints, which I found very difficult to do well (it seems I was unable to find good quality eggs for making the albumen so the results were always less than great). But I have very quickly gotten a feel for making salt prints and find it easier to do. I've looked into making traditional film negatives, following Sandy King's advice on exposure/development to get an appropriately contrasty/dense neg for this purpose and I'm getting the hang of it now. But I am more comfortable with the Wet Plate Collodion process and am aware of how suitable it is for salt/albumen printmaking, so I'm making some test negatives in collodion to test with salt.

This is a scan of yesterday's negative, made on 5x7 glass, and redeveloped after washing to boost contrast/density. I think it has potential for salt printing. I'll prep some paper for tomorrow.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51724425858_bb425cfdf3_h.jpg

Made with my holey B&J 5x7 camera and Voigtlander f3.5 Petzval.

carbo73
19-Jan-2022, 16:05
Wow, that's my goal, too. I've done some first trials with salt prints, and I've been doing wet plate since 2020, although with a bunch of problems most of the times. Now I'm trying to get salt prints from my wet plates, as the main problem I have with plates (tintypes, mostly) is their general darkness, compared to a paper print.

Two23
19-Jan-2022, 16:25
I'm following this topic. I'd like to try it later this year.

Kent in SD

Michael Wellman
18-May-2022, 20:23
Beautiful image. I am wanting to get started in wet plate and I'm just starting out in salt printing. I hope you post a followup. What was the article you referenced about Sandy King, negative density and salt printing?

j.e.simmons
19-May-2022, 03:54
Have you gotten Chris Anderson’s book Salted Paper Printing? It has a lot of information.
BTW, when I did albumen printing, I used egg whites that came in a carton like a milk carton. I found them at my local big supermarket. Had to quit because I’m allergic to eggs.

paulbarden
19-May-2022, 07:20
Have you gotten Chris Anderson’s book Salted Paper Printing? It has a lot of information.
BTW, when I did albumen printing, I used egg whites that came in a carton like a milk carton. I found them at my local big supermarket. Had to quit because I’m allergic to eggs.

I do have Chris's book, yes. I acquired it shortly after making the above print. A very useful book!

bob carnie
20-May-2022, 06:10
hi Paul- just talking about you yesterday with Deborah Samuel, she is coming into my shop to visit and I realized we both have someone in common other than his brother Craig - that would be you.

peter schrager
20-May-2022, 07:38
if you follow Quinn Jacobson he has been working with collodion negatives. find him on Facebook

paulbarden
20-May-2022, 07:55
hi Paul- just talking about you yesterday with Deborah Samuel, she is coming into my shop to visit and I realized we both have someone in common other than his brother Craig - that would be you.

I'm not surprised you two know each other. I worked for Deb in the 1980s as her darkroom technician, and I learned a LOT during the two years I was with her. She's a great photographer and I have a lot of respect for her and her work. I have one of her pieces hanging in the house, and it was in fact printed by ME in the 80's!