PDA

View Full Version : Twitter bans!

Tin Can
1-Dec-2021, 14:42
Twitter has published an update to its private information policy that specifically bans the publication of photos and videos (media) of private individuals without the permission of those depicted.

I stole this from

https://petapixel.com/2021/11/30/twitter-bans-sharing-photos-of-people-without-their-express-consent/

Tin Can
1-Dec-2021, 14:46
"Technically, many forms of street photography would be prohibited under this new rule."

Tin Can
1-Dec-2021, 14:49
MAD - Spy vs Spy - Season 1 Complete

https://youtu.be/onR7PD3Grc0

Leszek Vogt
1-Dec-2021, 14:54
Is Twitter that ignorant about public space ? Just wondering aloud.

Tin Can
1-Dec-2021, 15:57
Jack Dorsey quit same day

I see our Supremes in our future

Michael R
1-Dec-2021, 16:17
Jack Dorsey quit same day

I see our Supremes in our future

I see this thread being locked in our future :)

paulbarden
1-Dec-2021, 16:18
What a dismal time we live in.

r.e.
1-Dec-2021, 16:32
I think that people should read the actual policy before getting worked up about this: https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/topics/company/2021/private-information-policy-update

I don't think that it's going to have any effect on activities like street photography.

Twitter will only act on the basis of a complaint from a person whose consent has not been obtained, and there are broad exceptions.

This addition is part of a broader policy that is directed at people who are using Twitter for the purpose of harassment, intimidation, revenge, making threats, etc.

r.e.
1-Dec-2021, 16:55
"Technically, many forms of street photography would be prohibited under this new rule."

I think that this is PetaPixel working really hard at spinning this into something it isn't. Given the purpose of the policy, its exceptions and the way it has to be invoked, I don't think that this will have any impact whatsoever on street photography :)

Old_Dick
1-Dec-2021, 18:30
TC, MAD, love it, thanks.

Sal Santamaura
1-Dec-2021, 21:29
And the confusion between one's right to speak freely and/or photograph in public spaces with a private venue's right to control what it publishes continues. :)

Paul Ron
2-Dec-2021, 06:40
its the start of new censorship. political correctness has created new laws banning certain speech as hate crimes. whats next?... connect the dots!

r.e.
2-Dec-2021, 07:20
its the start of new censorship. political correctness has created new laws banning certain speech as hate crimes. whats next?... connect the dots!

Twitter doesn't make laws. It is a private company that offers one of the several platforms that people use to express their views. In case you haven't noticed, some people use Twitter to harass, intimidate or threaten others. Unsurprisingly, Twitter is taking steps to stop this. Also unsurprisingly, the vast majority of users agree that this should be stopped, and many critics say that Twitter doesn't do enough.

If one actually reads Twitter's policy, it's perfectly obvious that it is not directed at, nor will affect, activities like street photography. It certainly has nothing to do with the Business of Large Format Photography, which is where the thread was started.

Dugan
2-Dec-2021, 07:53
And even more importantly, what are the Kardashians up to?