PDA

View Full Version : View Camera Conference

steve simmons
28-Feb-2006, 12:57
The keynote speaker will be George Georgio who is the staff photogrpaher for Playboy. The topic will be Playboy and the Large Format Camera: A Longterm Relationship. The Conference is June 8-11 in Rockford, IL. A complete program is on our web site

www.viewcamera.com

steve simmons

Kirk Gittings
28-Feb-2006, 13:46
Should be interesting.

Christopher Perez
28-Feb-2006, 14:13
Hey Steve, when will you let us host your conference in Portland, OR?

steve simmons
28-Feb-2006, 15:07
Here is what I look for when selecting a venue

is their an audience in the area that will come in enough numbers

is there a location that is affordable but has the space to hold the conference

steve simmons

Jim Ewins
28-Feb-2006, 16:15
I echo for Portland or Florence, OR

Eric Biggerstaff
28-Feb-2006, 23:42
Steve,

My vote is for Denver.

It is home to many fine LF photographers, has easy access to the city via the DIA and now with Southwest flying here the rates are cheap.

Plenty of hotels and nightlife in the LoDo section of downtown and LOTS of great field trip possibilities in the Denver area for just about any type of photography a person may want to try ( landscape within a hour or two drive, great old buildings in the Lower Downtown area, sports - try that with LF!, nudes, you name it.

There are a few good galleries who could host shows. There are restuarants to fit all budgets. Camera stores who stock LF gear and supplies. You name it.

Also it is a easy drive for photgaphers in New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, Northern Texas and Oklahoma.

All in all a nice, central place to have a conference. I might even host a field trip to Mt Evans and dinner plus print viewing in my home afterwards!

Well, just a thought.

Eric

Diane Maher
1-Mar-2006, 06:52
Steve,
Thank you for having it in the midwest this year.

steve simmons
1-Mar-2006, 07:21
It is encouraging that people are already looking forward to next year.

Here are maybees (sp?0 for 07

New Mexico to coincide with PhotoArts Santa Fe. This would be early July

Denver is a city I like. Is there a facility on the west side of town?

I also like Portland and will consider it as well. Perhaps not for 07 but maybe 08

Thanks for the encouragement.

steve

William Mortensen
1-Mar-2006, 09:56
An inconsequential vote here for somewhere in the southwest, and a thank you for holding it in the summer when photographic educators are more likely to be able to attend.

Philip_5765
1-Mar-2006, 19:45
How about Texas? The weather is a lot better during the spring and the landscape is something else. How about Houston? Hotels are cheap and so is the beer....

M.

kreig
1-Mar-2006, 22:55
Bellingham, Washington

Located between two great cities: Seattle, Washington and Vancouver Canada.

We have the in-land seas and islands of Puget Sound.

10,744 ft high Mt Baker, a steaming volcano located only 1 hour from Bellingham and wonderfull sights of the Cascade Mountains. Yes, you can drive to 6,000+ feet for great views, or should I say, outstanding views, of pristine forests, glaciers and wildlife.

Large areas of farmland with unpolluted skies.

Western Washington University with a great campus.

Plenty of small towns for exploration and photography.

Crossing the border to Canada is only restricted by the number of cars lined up to make the crossing. Vancouver is an awesome city for touring and exploring as is Seattle.

So, we have mountains, seas, islands, cities, farmland, clean air and water, two countries, and a friendly community.

Not only do I live here but it truly is a great place!!

Eric Biggerstaff
1-Mar-2006, 23:06
Steve,

There are plenty of new areas in Denver that could potentially hsot the conference, but I like areas closer to downtown as there is SO much to do adn photograph there as well as galleries to visit. In addition, it is easy to get to the mountains from downtown,.

If you are interested I will be happy to work with you and scout of some potential ideas.

Eric

steve simmons
2-Mar-2006, 11:05
Generaly the closer into a larger city the more expensive it is to put on any affair. I was thinking about the Lakewood area and trying to include a program called Working With Artists.

I might be inclined to bring it back to New Mexico in 07 to coincide with PhotoArts Santa Fe and APIS.

steve

Kerry L. Thalmann
2-Mar-2006, 12:05
Generaly the closer into a larger city the more expensive it is to put on any affair.

That's always a tough act to balance. On the one hand, lodging and conference facilities can be more expensive in larger cities, but other costs, such as travel (air fair and rental cars) can be less expensive due to greater competition and more options. Clearly you have considered these trade-offs in selecting the sites for the past conferences. Holding the conference in a small to medium city (like Springfield, MA or Rockford, IL) can keep the facitilites costs down, and as long as you aren't too far from a major airport, the travel costs are reasonable.

I do like the fact that you've moved the conference around the country as it gives a lot more people an opportunity to attend, and gives repeat participants a new loaction to look forward to each year.

I'll go ahead and make a case for Portland. It's a medium sized city that has a major international airport serviced by all major US carriers. There are nearly endless possibilites for subject matter and field trips. The Columbia River Gorge (30 - 45 minutes from the airport), the Oregon Coast (about an hour and a half from Portland to the Northern Coast) and Mt. Hood (about an hour - an hour and a half, depending on which side of the mountain and the traffic) are all close by and even Mt. St. Helens is less than a two hour drive. Portland also has beautiful Japansese and Chinese gardens, as well as the world famous international rose test garden. Portland has a nice blend of historic and modern architecture. Lots of opportunities for pre and post conference field trips and workshops.

As far as facilities goes, the greater Portland area (from Hillsboro on the west to Gresham on the east) runs the full gammut. One possibility to help keep the costs down would be to use the facilities of one of the many college campuses in the Portland area as a host site (Portland State University, University of Portland, Portland Community College, Mt. Hood Community College, etc.). As long as the conference is held during the summer months (June, July or August), and doesn't conflict with any other major event (Rose Festival, Mt. Hood Festival of Jazz, etc.) you could probably get a good deal on the use of these facilities. If no affordable option can be found in downtown Portland, there are also alternatives in the suburbs. Do to the high tech growth of this area during the late 1990s, a lot of new hotels with conference facilities popped up in the suburbs over that last 5 - 10 years. Given the current slump in the high tech industry, many of these hotels are competing for limited business. You might be able to get a good deal at one of these places.

Portland also has light rail service from the airport to the main light rail line that services downtown and the east and west surburbs (from Gresham to Hillsboro). If the conference site is located close to a light rail station, many conference attendees could get by without paying for a rental car, further reducing travel costs.

Portland has a rich history of supporting photography and a rich legacy of large format photographers (Ray Atkeson, Christopher Burkett, Steve Terrill, Stu Levy, etc.). The Photographic Image Gallery is the oldest gallery in the Northwest featuring exclusively photography and there are several active photography groups in the Portland area (The Portland Photographer's Forum, the Forest Grove Camera Club, etc.). One of the best parts of last years conference was the show and reception. With all the large format photographers in Portland, I'm sure something similar could be hosted here, perhaps at the Photographic Image Gallery or at the conference site.

That said, I'll go where ever the conference goes and I like Denver and New Mexico as well. Hard to go wrong with any of these locations.

Kerry

Duane Polcou
2-Mar-2006, 12:47
I think it's wonderful that any level of recognition is given regarding Playtboy's longtime use of the 8x10
format for their centerfolds.I've photographed a couple of Playmates (not for Playboy; other magazines) and enjoyed their stories of how they had to hold poses for hours as sheet after sheet was exposed. I remember an old cover of American Photo magazine with Pompeo Posar, a Playmate, and a Deardorff 8x10. Alas, I believe most of the centerfolds are now shot on 6x9 cm (referencing a recent article on Stephen Wayda) and digital can't be far behind, but the legacy remains.

Michael Kadillak
2-Mar-2006, 19:06
How about considering a truly prestine setting away from the big city where accomodations are reasonably priced and the conference is truly disconnected from traffic, light rail, urban sprawl and all of the baggage that comes with being close to a major metropolitan area?

A couple of years ago I attended a conference in Snowmass outside of Aspen, Colorado that was unlike any experience I previously had and it was truly marvelous. Instead of worrying about getting to and from the venue and parking or looking over your shoulder in the "city" I was spotting elk from my hotel room with binoculars. The air was clean and fresh and photograpic opportunities abound in any direction. A totally refreshing experience it there ever was one.

John Sexton conducts a photographic seminar at Anderson Ranch that is adjacent to Snowmass that surely we could incorporate into the stated objectives. I believe that I speak for many that are sick and tired of the big city and relish the opportunity to see it in my rear view mirror on route to a place that is personal and visually stimulating.

Pre-planning ahead is the necessary prerequisite to schedule the facilities and garner the best rates.

Cheers

Paul Metcalf
2-Mar-2006, 20:06
I have no idea what rate they would charge, but I've been to events at the Marriott Denver West (just west of Denver in Golden). http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/DENWE

I think Cabelas is coming to Wheat Ridge (also just west of Denver) in the near future, for those who need another reason.

Marko
2-Mar-2006, 20:22
I'm surprised that nobody mentions Southern California - it's as major as a metropolitan area can get and yet offers literally all levels of accomodation, services and attractions, both within and in the relative vicinity.

Given the local climate, just about any time of the year would be good, and the sheer population size would guarantee good attendance.

Regards,

Kerry L. Thalmann
3-Mar-2006, 10:44
Michael K. - How about considering a truly prestine setting away from the big city where accomodations are reasonably priced and the conference is truly disconnected from traffic, light rail, urban sprawl and all of the baggage that comes with being close to a major metropolitan area?

Michael,

I haven't spent anytime in Snowmass, but I did spend a week in late September in Aspen a few years back. I agree, it's a beautiful area. There are many other similar smaller communities in spectacular seetings that I love to visit whenever I have a chance (Springdale, UT, Hood River, OR, etc. ). In fact, I hope to eventually retire to one of these places. I am a small town boy at heart and all things being equal (gainful employment, quality schools, etc.), I'll take a small town over a big city anyday - especially if that small town has access to outdoor recreation and beautiful scenery.

However, as beautiful and peaceful as these places are, the logistics of holding a large conference at one of these locations may be insurmountable. Hosting a conference with a few hundred attendees is a lot different than a workshop for 6 - 12 (or even 50) participants. Snowmass is a four hour drive from the nearest major airport. So, add eight hours round trip driving time onto flight times and getting to/from the airport on the other end, and the travel overhead can discourage many people from attending a weekend conference. It also requires a few hundred people to rent cars for the weekend and buy a tank or two of gas - which could further limit the number of potential attendees. A conference like this needs a lot of attendees to be successful. In order for the dealers, distributors and manufacturers who are a vital part of these conferences to attend, you need to have to have enough attendees to make it worth their time and expense.

Granted I don't know the options in Snowmass (I've only driven through), but in Aspen accomodations are anything but affordable (at least compared to accomodations around the Portland area). Does Snowmass have a location suitable for hosting a group of a few hundered? Not just hotel rooms (I'm sure they do as they cater to skiers during the winter months), but conference and banquet facilities for hosting the trade show and several concurrent seminars? How many people would show up if they had to drive an extra four hours each way for a weekend conference and pay for a rental car and gas? How many dealers would be willing to transport their wares the extra distance (probably depends on the answer to the previous question)? How many manufacturers and distributors would attend?

Michael K. - A couple of years ago I attended a conference in Snowmass outside of Aspen, Colorado that was unlike any experience I previously had and it was truly marvelous. Instead of worrying about getting to and from the venue and parking or looking over your shoulder in the "city" I was spotting elk from my hotel room with binoculars. The air was clean and fresh and photograpic opportunities abound in any direction. A totally refreshing experience it there ever was one.

Sounds wonderful. And while I agree with you in principal that a smaller, more peaceful and scenic location would be great, and I'd personally jump at the opportunity to attend a conference in such a location, for practial matters, reasonable access to a major airport and proximity to a large population base have big impacts on the number of attendees, and therefore, the viability of the conference.

That said, if Steve ever decides to host the conference in Snowmass, I'm there.

Kerry

P.S. I'm not sure why you lumped light rail in with traffic, urban sprawl and all of the baggage that comes with being close to a major metropolitan area. An efficient, affordable light rail system actually elminates problems like traffic and parking normally associated with being close to a major metropolitan area. In other words, light rail should be considered a plus, not a deterent to hosting a conference in a specific location.

Kirk Gittings
3-Mar-2006, 11:50
From my experience helping Steve with these in the past, the conference simply has to be within an hour or so from a major metropolitan airport (i.e major city) or it will seriously limit attendence. That said, many wonderful places fit the bill. We all have our favourites. Monterey was my favourite, a mecca for LF photographers for many reasons and a difficult act to follow.

Michael Kadillak
3-Mar-2006, 15:21
Kerry:

I was simply making reference to the big city transportation requirements where congestion is the dominant criteria and parking costs the equivelant of lunch for you and the wife.

Kirk, you would be surprised at the attendance that you would get if you simply opened up your mind to the possibility. A few years back I attended a National Cattlemen's Conference there (long story but a fabulous time) and we had nearly 200 attendees with their families and the accomodations were not pressed in the least. Hotel rates were $65 - $85 per night negotiated for the conference (remember it is the off season for a ski area) and I saw license plates from Iowa, Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Texas, New Mexico and elsewhere. Folks turned it into a family holiday.

You can get great airfare into DIA and you are driving through the Rocky Mountains nearly the whole way there. If you have to rent a car to get to your destination even in a city venue you are paying by the day with (usually) unlimited mileage. I would rather let it sit in the parking lot somewhere nice and pay for a bit more gas. The drive time is practically inconsequential.

Bottom line is that marvelous scenery is part and parcel to the beauty that we long to align ourselves with in landscape photography. I do not see this as a limited factor in the least. In fact I see it as a highly favorable enticement. Think BIG and reach for the tall branches. What you perceive as a limiting factor may in fact only be a perception. Pick any place that has some scenery - I could care less.

I will tell you that I have not attended a VC conference since Sante Fe because of the logistical problems that occurred there with seminar times and the confusion that abounded. A lack of structure drives me crazy.

Just my $0.02.

Kirk Gittings
3-Mar-2006, 15:44
"I will tell you that I have not attended a VC conference since Sante Fe because of the logistical problems that occurred there with seminar times and the confusion that abounded."

Confusion, logistical problems? Dude! You were in the wrong city. There has never been a VC conference in Santa Fe. They have been Albuquerque, Monterey, Springfield Mass., and now Rockford Ill.

Kerry L. Thalmann
3-Mar-2006, 15:46
Michael K. - I was simply making reference to the big city transportation requirements where congestion is the dominant criteria and parking costs the equivelant of lunch for you and the wife.

Parking in Portland is abundant and affordable - perhaps because so many people use public transportation (including light rail) and leave their cars at home when heading into the city. For those who prefer to drive their own vehicle, parking on the weekends (when the bulk of the conference is held) is no problem - cheap and plentiful. If the conference is held on one of the college/university campuses or in the suburbs, parking is even less of any issue (basically, a non-issue). Not all cities are the same, and I don't consider Portland a big city. More like a just-big-enough city. It has everything you need in a city, but still feels small and intimate compared to other cities I've visited. While there can be some congestion during rush hour, Portland traffic, public transportation and parking are all MUCH better than Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles (the BIG West Coast cities).

Michael K. - I will tell you that I have not attended a VC conference since Sante Fe because of the logistical problems that occurred there with seminar times and the confusion that abounded. A lack of structure drives me crazy.

That was my first LF conference and I remember meeting you there. Somehow, it seems that two different sets of seminar schedules got published and that led to much confusion. The only problems I remember in Monterey is that one or two seminars had to switch rooms to accomodate larger than expected audiences. Last year in Springfield, the conference seemed to run extremely well. I didn't notice any confusion or problems at all. So, hey practice makes perfect. I have enjoyed each of the conferences I have attended and each one has been better than the last (IMHO). I'm looking forward to this year's conference, and next year's (wherever it may be) as well.

BTW, I'm not knocking Snowmass as a conference location. If it has the facilities and people can be convinced to attend in sufficient numbers, I'd be all for it. Not everyone who attends these conferences are landscape photographers, but I am and would welcome a location rich in pre and post conference shooting possibilites. I used to have the same problem with the NANPA conferences. They were always held at a location ideally suted to those who photograph migratory waterfowl (not exactly the ideal subject matter for a LF shooter). They finally held one in Las Vegas, and while Las Vegas is one of my least favorite cities in the world, it has low air fares, and more importantly is only a few hours drive from Zion and a host of other spectacular locations. I made a week of it, drove down, and did some shooting in Utah on the way down and back. They did hold the NANPA conference in Portland a few years later, but it was in January, and guess what - it rained. Anytime May - October would have been MUCH better and June - September ideal.

Kerry

Kerry L. Thalmann
3-Mar-2006, 15:51
Kirk - Confusion, logistical problems? Dude! You were in the wrong city. There has never been a VC conference in Santa Fe. They have been Albuquerque, Monterey, Springfield Mass., and now Rockford Ill.

Kirk,

Michael is referring to the conference that was held in conjunction with the Santa Fe PhotoArts Festival three years ago. It wasn't exclusively a LF conference, but Steve still put on a trade show and a full slate of seminars.

Kerry

Kirk Gittings
3-Mar-2006, 15:53
I get it. I wasn't around for that one. That was one of the summers I was a visiting artist at SAIC in Chicago.

steve simmons
6-Mar-2006, 09:02
Thanks again for all of the enthusiasm. So let me comment,

I really do like Portland, it is one of my favorite cities. I have cousins there, Jake's has great clam chowder, and it is a very pretty city. But probably not for 07.

Denver is another area I like. It is easy to get to from almost anywhere, the LoDo area (lower downtown) is very interesting, the train station is interesting, etc.

The larger the hotel, and the closer to a big city the more expensive the function becomes.

Snowmass is another nice area but I do not know if they have the facilities for a conference with a trade show

steve

Michael Kadillak
6-Mar-2006, 09:20
Snowmass does have great conference capabilities and can accomodate large number of attendees without a problem. The nearby Anderson Ranch accomodates the John Sexton Photographic Workshops and has done so for some time. It would be interesting to query a number of possible locations this far out because the further you can plan the better deal you can strike with attractive room rates and the conference as a package deal.

The Town of Snowmass Villiage has a web presence at;

www.tosv.com

Cheers!

Rob Vinnedge
6-Mar-2006, 11:26
I strongly agree with Kerry about Portland. I'm from Seattle, another active LF community, but I visit Portland with regularity. Let's not forget that the greatest Pinot Noir region in the world is only a half hour from downtown, and Powell's bookstore is a only a block from Jake's restaurant and the Pearl District.