PDA

View Full Version : C.P. Goerz Berlin D.R.P. Dogmar Age

alt.kafka
11-Nov-2021, 12:21
I recently picked up this 165mm f/4.8 Goerz Dogmar that is in far better condition than I expected. It was described as fogged with fungus, and I thought I'd give a try cleaning it. Well, as far as I can tell, there's nothing to clean. It looks like it's from-the-factory mint. Like, new. No age, no cleaning marks, and certainly no fog or fungus. Same thing with the Compur shutter. No slowness or hesitation at all. Everything turns smoothly. No paint missing, no wear, nothing. It looks and acts like a brand new lens and shutter.

Which, makes me suspicious. Not really suspicious, really, but I have to wonder how old it can really be. Any background info on this would be appreciated.

Steven Tribe
11-Nov-2021, 13:22
99 years old-1922. Goerz became part of Zeiss Ikon a few years later.

Probably mounted on a 10x15 cm folding camera. They are usually mounted direct on the front standard, so the lens board suggests an upmarket set.

Chauncey Walden
12-Nov-2021, 09:01
I have 2 Dogmars; a 180 f/4.5 serial 467xxx dated to 1921, and a 420 f/5.5 serial 661xxx dated to 1924. Nice lenses and one of the neat things about them is that they can be used as a triple convertible. The 420 gives me 588 and 672 also.

alt.kafka
12-Nov-2021, 12:46
It seems like a really nice lens. I'm surprised the whole thing is as crazy clean as it is. I don't know what kind of box you could put something in for 100 years where it would come out looking that unaged, but whatever it is, it was in it.

Too bad there's no flash terminal on the shutter. I wonder if there's some way I could do it using a cable release.

nolindan
12-Nov-2021, 12:59
Too bad there's no flash terminal on the shutter. I wonder if there's some way I could do it using a cable release.

I think you were expected to use flash powder. Flash bulbs date to late 20's. External synchronizers can be found on Speed Graphics and the like - a button on the flash gun fires the bulb and energizes a solenoid on the lensboard that then trips the shutter. Obviously, won't work with electronic flash.

alt.kafka
12-Nov-2021, 14:29
I think you were expected to use flash powder. Flash bulbs date to late 20's. External synchronizers can be found on Speed Graphics and the like - a button on the flash gun fires the bulb and energizes a solenoid on the lensboard that then trips the shutter. Obviously, won't work with electronic flash.

I think I'm going to go with flash powder. Can't get more analog than that.

LabRat
12-Nov-2021, 22:27
Sync can be added to these shutters by a tech... I have several that it was an obvious add-on, and some even had a PC socket end...

For still life work in a darkened studio, open flash (using B setting) works fine...

Steve K

J. Patric Dahlen
13-Nov-2021, 07:03
Congratulations! The Dogmar is a fine classic lens for black and white, just use a sun shade. I have the 135/6,3 version from 1916 and it's a gem.

alt.kafka
13-Nov-2021, 09:03
I'm thinking that the Kalart Speed Flash Automatic Synchronizer might be a solution for using flash with it.

I like to use my Crown Graphic hand held with the rangefinder. I have some cams that should be close. If they're not close enough for the ranges where I'd be using it, I can probably fabricate one.

Neal Chaves
14-Nov-2021, 18:04
That would be a nice lens to cam up on a TRF Crown Graphic, and it would be a nice focal length for Big Shot use with a nosed-off cam.

alt.kafka
16-Nov-2021, 09:42
and it would be a nice focal length for Big Shot use with a nosed-off cam.

;) ;) What do these funny words mean? ;) ;)

I'm really happy with my Optar 162mm as a RF with flash. It's just dead on. I'd be pretty happy to be able to do that with the Dogmar. I don't know if it would fit in a shutter with a flash sync without an adapter, but I love the almost circular iris of the Compur shutter. It's just insanely clean and smooth, so I want to keep using it. I'm hoping that the Kalart flash sync enables me to trigger a flash.

otto.f
16-Nov-2021, 10:12
I recently picked up this 165mm f/4.8 Goerz Dogmar …….. suspicious. Not really suspicious, really, but I have to wonder how old it can really be.

Couldn’t it just have had a CLA by a vintage lover, with a new shutter, a (seems plastic) improvised lens board and a clean up of the glass?

alt.kafka
16-Nov-2021, 10:29
Couldn’t it just have had a CLA by a vintage lover, with a new shutter, a (seems plastic) improvised lens board and a clean up of the glass?

Well, whoever owned it before took really good care of it. The shutter serial # dates within a year of the serial # on the lens, so I don't doubt they came together.

J. Patric Dahlen
16-Nov-2021, 16:16
What's the outer diameter of the lens in millimeter? It would be interesting to know what size slip-on filters/sun shade fits.

alt.kafka
16-Nov-2021, 21:20
What's the outer diameter of the lens in millimeter? It would be interesting to know what size slip-on filters/sun shade fits.

42mm. Series VI should work.

otto.f
17-Nov-2021, 02:28
Well, whoever owned it before took really good care of it. The shutter serial # dates within a year of the serial # on the lens, so I don't doubt they came together.

It was meant to be for you, enjoy!

alt.kafka
17-Nov-2021, 06:33
It was meant to be for you, enjoy!

Yeah, I just need to drill out a lens board for it. Maybe this weekend.

J. Patric Dahlen
17-Nov-2021, 12:49
42mm. Series VI should work.

42mm is also a common size for slip-on filters and shades, which is good and should be easy to find. :)

Ron (Netherlands)
28-Nov-2021, 04:32
Have a Dogmar in barrel (with focussing mount/in German: Schnecke) with a serial that comes near yours: 556914. - was probably meant for a Goerz Anschütz camera.
It is a f4.5 15cm lens. I didn't find the table with years of production.