PDA

View Full Version : arca swiss F metric 5x7?

Chester McCheeserton
11-Nov-2021, 09:53
Do these ever show up used? Can Badger get them new?

mike rosenlof
11-Nov-2021, 10:13
Likely rather rare.

Rod Klukas at www.rodklukas.com might be able to answer this better than I can.

konakoa
11-Nov-2021, 11:33
I've been after one too and they just can't be found. I contacted Rod, who said Keith Canham was making 5x7 conversion kits to fit Arca cameras. I've attached a few photos to show what Keith did for me.

Bernice Loui
11-Nov-2021, 12:39
Any 5x7 Arca Swiss is a rare camera. Owned one for a short time some years ago that was previously owned by Kerry T. It was a partially completed project to convert the front to accept Sinar bits. Got this far with it, then decided it was all for not as there was ZERO advantage to the Arca Swiss -vs- Sinar and in many ways far more limiting due to what is easily available but at times required accessories for the Arca Swiss. Weigh savings was nil, just a very long list of negatives.

Eventually, this 5x7 Arca Swiss was put back to original then found a home with a collector.

Bernice

Chester McCheeserton
11-Nov-2021, 12:59
I've been after one too and they just can't be found. I contacted Rod, who said Keith Canham was making 5x7 conversion kits to fit Arca cameras. I've attached a few photos to show what Keith did for me.

huh interesting Thanks, is that one of Keith's metal 8x10 backs modded down? I know he made a 57 metal too but I didn't remember the rear standard being so big.

that's a great looking setup...Actually nevermind, now I can see it's way smaller then 8x10. How's the rigidity of the rear standard? Lock down pretty solid?

Chester McCheeserton
11-Nov-2021, 13:01
Thanks Bernice, I think I saw that on an older thread. interesting project

Chester McCheeserton
11-Nov-2021, 13:01
Likely rather rare.

Rod Klukas at www.rodklukas.com might be able to answer this better than I can.

Thank you

jeroldharter
11-Nov-2021, 22:24
I used to have a 4x5 F-Metric. The camera itself is art. Almost too precious to use! Good luck in your search.

r.e.
12-Nov-2021, 05:31
Given the currently small market for 5x7, it's interesting that Arca-Swiss doesn't offer the components that are unique to 5x7 at a price attractive to existing 4x5 and 8x10 owners. I would think that it's considered that option, and has decided for whatever reason that it won't pay to do it. Are cameras even a significant part of Arca-Swiss's business at this point?

konakoa
12-Nov-2021, 10:57
huh interesting Thanks, is that one of Keith's metal 8x10 backs modded down? I know he made a 57 metal too but I didn't remember the rear standard being so big.

that's a great looking setup...Actually nevermind, now I can see it's way smaller then 8x10. How's the rigidity of the rear standard? Lock down pretty solid?

The back is Keith's own metal 5x7 modified to fit the Arca cameras. He attaches an Arca dovetail to the bottom of the ground glass frame and the whole thing slips into the existing Arca 'function carrier' no problem at all. I haven't noticed any problems with stability, wobble or flex. Keith provides a set of bellows also made to order to fit his rear ground glass frame and mounts to the existing Arca camera in the front.

I need to note here that my camera for this conversion is the Arca 4x5 field model, so my camera has the smaller front end and uses 110 lens boards. It's a bit more compact and lighter weight because of that. My favorite lens for 5x7 is a Schneider 400mm f/5.6 APO Tele-Xenar and this camera handles that very nicely.

alan_b
12-Nov-2021, 11:36
He attaches an Arca dovetail to the bottom of the ground glass frame and the whole thing slips into the existing Arca 'function carrier' no problem at all.

I did the same thing to attach a Sinar 4x5 back to my Arca M2. (Dovetail plate marked with arrow.) Since the rise/shift is on the function carrier, that movement is preserved. The same could be done with a Sinar 5x7 back, with reduced rise/fall.

221235 221236

BLATT LAB
12-Nov-2021, 11:38
At least the German distributor List a 5x7 "format change kit" for the Classic and Metric cameras and als just all the spare parts alone

https://www.arca-shop.de/en/cameras/f-line-m-line-accessoires/format-wechsel/format-sets/formatsets-f-line/

Bernice Loui
12-Nov-2021, 12:40
Appears to be available at significant cost:

As with any of this camera stuff, consider cost -vs- value -vs- functionally_durability_quality of build, and all that.

Cost of these Arca Swiss bits are likely driven by their extremely low production volume, quality of design, construction and materials (Arca Swiss stuff is excellent).

Bernice

At least the German distributor List a 5x7 "format change kit" for the Classic and Metric cameras and als just all the spare parts alone

https://www.arca-shop.de/en/cameras/f-line-m-line-accessoires/format-wechsel/format-sets/formatsets-f-line/

Bernice Loui
12-Nov-2021, 12:44
Nice illustration of what can be done with a modular view camera. It would not be that difficult to take a Sinar 5x7 rear frame carrier then mill off the bottom casting then add the Arca Swiss dove tail allowing the Sinar frame to fit as it should on the Arca Swiss carrier.

Add a modified Sinar 5x7 bellows (tapered or bag) with an Arca Swiss front, done.

This could be easier and more cost effective than trying to get an OEM Arca Swiss 5x7 conversion set.

BTW, the folks at Arca Swiss was involved with the Sinar (Carl Koch) early on as Koch needed a means to fabricate the modular view camera design, it was the folks at Arca Swiss that help Koch and Sinar get started. Previously discussed:
https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?110814-Sinar-history

Bernice

I did the same thing to attach a Sinar 4x5 back to my Arca M2. (Dovetail plate marked with arrow.) Since the rise/shift is on the function carrier, that movement is preserved. The same could be done with a Sinar 5x7 back, with reduced rise/fall.

221235 221236

Rod Klukas
18-Nov-2021, 09:48
After selling very few 5x7 cameras over the last 10 years, Arca-Swiss decided to drop the 5x7 from the line. I sold the last camera and the last bellows and ground glass about 3 years ago. As noted above, Keith Canham does a nice and compatible 5x7 format kit, but even these are limited going forward, so get in soon if you would like one.
We have had a few people inquire over the years about 5x7, but less often solid orders. It is an elegant format, but needs serious buyers to support manufacture, as making one-offs is now quite expensive. To come with a camera at a price that people would entertain, we would have to purchase at least about 100 frames, to use one part example, and at the sales figures over the last 20 years it would be into the next century before we would sell out, if then.
And at say 20 or 30 frames the price for just that would be 4-5 times higher.
A small manufacturer, can do these in small batches, and especially in wood, could make them more readily.

Hope this clarifies the issue a bit.

Rod

Drew Wiley
18-Nov-2021, 13:15
Making dies themselves for sake of serious metal components is extremely expensive. CNC aluminum fabricating is far cheaper, but doesn't produce the same durability or precision. Wood fabrication can be potentially custom tweaked by anyone with relevant shop skills and cabinet-shop style equipment, even me. But in any option, in terms of practicality, the less often machine settings and templates and so forth need to be reset or recalibrated, the more realistic it is to hold expense in line.