PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Color Kardon 4x5 to 5x7?

Chester McCheeserton
1-Nov-2021, 22:26
I've never had one of these cameras but a friend has a very clean copy of the 4x5 model and I've been impressed by it. I read on an earlier thread here that the 5x7 model was very heavy compared to the 4x5 as it shared components with the 8x10 model.

Would it be possible/a good idea to buy a 4x5 model on ebay and then buy a 5x7 back to convert it? I'm looking for something that I can still shoot in the field with, though obviously I won't be using it as a hiking rig.
Not sure this matters, but I don't need much bellows extension, in fact I would want to get the shortest possible rail that would allow for a 180 or 210 lens to be used, and 90% of the time I'd be using the wide angle bellows and a 150 lens.

Vaidotas
2-Nov-2021, 01:11
I’m using 18x24 Linhof Color Kardan with reducing backs and suspect that 13x18 model goes with the same rail as my camera. That might be a problem, smaller rail on 4x5. This camera is perfect for studio work, but really uncomfortable in the field, keeping in mind dedicated tripod and head, sinars and arcas are much better choices with your preferred focal lengths.

Oslolens
2-Nov-2021, 04:38
I had the same thought with a 4x5" Plaubel I bought for €180. Ended buying another Plaubel €300 with both 4x5" and 5x7" back and sold the first at the loss €10. Cheaper and faster than converting a generic back

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Chester McCheeserton
3-Nov-2021, 14:06
Thanks to both of you for the input – sounds like a norma might be better bet, though I would def not be using a linhof tripod and head.