PDA

View Full Version : "Dark bags"

MikeH
23-Oct-2021, 11:36
I usually mail my E6 4x5 to the lab in the film boxes. The Darkroom today mentioned "dark bags." Searches, including B&H, turn up blank. Are these light-tight bags, that would be less-costly to mail to the lab? Where does one find them?
Thanks.

Bill Poole
23-Oct-2021, 12:51
Aren't these the black poly bags the film is packed when new, inside the box??

domaz
23-Oct-2021, 15:49
The bags black and white paper come in might work if you double bagged them.

Jim Andrada
24-Oct-2021, 23:44
You can use the light proof black bags in flat cardboard mailers.

https://www.amazon.com/Adorama-Safe-T-Bags-Transportation-Protection-Photographic/dp/B00009USYL

Tin Can
25-Oct-2021, 04:11
Save ALL film boxes and dark bags for reuse

MikeH
25-Oct-2021, 07:34
Thanks, everyone, for all the responses. Turns out B&H has them... you need to search for "Paper safe bag" rather than "dark bag... :-)

r.e.
25-Oct-2021, 08:21
Thanks, everyone, for all the responses. Turns out B&H has them... you need to search for "Paper safe bag" rather than "dark bag... :-)

What's the plan? To use these and a USPS cardboard envelope or similar instead of a box?

MikeH
25-Oct-2021, 08:51
Yes. I've been sending priority mail, ~$8. This will be ~$2.50 - $3. We'll see.

r.e.
25-Oct-2021, 08:54
Yes. I've been sending priority mail, ~$8. This will be ~$2.50 - $3. We'll see.

Thanks for starting the thread. I like this idea. Those USPS envelopes are sturdy enough, and it's easier and less cumbersome than using a box.

John Layton
25-Oct-2021, 09:11
I'd be careful to avoid placing otherwise unprotected sheet films in anything flat for mailing, and would instead opt to place the sheets back into their original lightproof bags/sleeves and boxes prior to mailing - to offer some added protection from squashing/scratching/folding.

Greg Y
25-Oct-2021, 10:06
I agree with John. I would not send films thinly packaged. Several years ago, I received a CD in a flat cardboard mailer. The CD itself was also in a cardboard case. The postage stamp cancelled mark went right through the packaging onto the CD.

MikeH
25-Oct-2021, 12:51
I need to get the bags first, but I plan to enclose the bags in a 2nd, smaller cardboard envelope. I'll report back in a month or so after I've tried this. But, The Darkroom said they return "bags or boxes," so others must be doing this... We'll see.