PDA

View Full Version : Light spots on film.

Grandpa Ron
22-Oct-2021, 18:48
Attached are two photos showing a problem that has haunted me for some time. As you can see there is a bright spot on the negative not always as bright or in the same spot.

Gear - I restored an 1910 Seneca 4x5 view camera, I have a 127 mm Wollensak lens, a 163 mm Wollensak lens, and some pinhole lenses I made.

Problem - All of these lenses produce this bright spot, but not always near the center and of various brightness. I would say about 1/3 of the time.

Efforts - I have checked, re-checked and re-re-checked for light leaks inside and out. The bellow, the box, the back, the lens shutters, the film holders and dark slides both on the camera and separately.

Shooting procedure - I set up the shot then cover the entire camera with the dark cloth only leaving enough room to pull the dark slide. I have even added a lens hood and painted or covered all the shiny surfaces black.

Best guess - At present I do not think there is a light leak in the camera, I do not think that both lens shutters and certainly not the pinhole would leak and the spot is not always in the center of the negative. The only other thing I can think of is light reflections inside the bellows. I also checked to be sure the frosted surface was facing the inside of the camera.

I can take the back of the camera apart to see the inside of the bellows but I am wondering if anyone has had this problem or has any suggestions.

I have attached two photos showing the problem.

Thanks

Dugan
22-Oct-2021, 22:36
Have you tried more than one box of film?
Looking at the unexposed edges, there is fogging.
My first thought is old, fogged or light-struck film.
How is the film being processed?

Doremus Scudder
23-Oct-2021, 10:28
Definitely light strikes. And, from the look of the film rebates it may have happened out-of-camera. "May" is the key word here, though. I'd start looking for light leaks in my camera, holders, tanks, changing bags, whatever. The old light-bulb-inside-the-camera-in-a-dark-room is what I'd try first.

Best,

Doremus

Grandpa Ron
23-Oct-2021, 11:56
I have shot Arista EDU 200 and 400, perhaps 200 sheets. This light spot has been a random occurrence since the start. I have used Arista developer, Rodinal and now I an using HC-110.

I believe it is time of a look inside the camera.

Willie
24-Oct-2021, 06:27
Does this happen when using more than one lens?