PDA

View Full Version : backdrops

eunified61
11-Oct-2021, 16:03
I'm wondering what people use as backdrops for portraits and still life tintypes and ambros, nothing expensive like painted ones just any particular material or colour you use

Mark Sampson
11-Oct-2021, 19:04
Many portraitists have made their own by painting a large muslin sheet to suit their needs. A big roll of seamless paper is useful (if bland), but generally requires two stands and a crossbar. Or find an empty room with interesting walls and windows for lighting (seems quite possible in Ireland).
Remember that wet-plate is sensitive to blue light only, so be careful with colors. Experiment, have fun, and when you get a result you like, share it here, please.

eunified61
23-Oct-2021, 15:11
Many portraitists have made their own by painting a large muslin sheet to suit their needs. A big roll of seamless paper is useful (if bland), but generally requires two stands and a crossbar. Or find an empty room with interesting walls and windows for lighting (seems quite possible in Ireland).
Remember that wet-plate is sensitive to blue light only, so be careful with colors. Experiment, have fun, and when you get a result you like, share it here, please.
An empty room........you haven't heard about our housing shortage

Mark Sampson
23-Oct-2021, 20:49
Well, no, I haven't. Didn't mean to insult your intelligence or your country. Best of luck!

eunified61
28-Oct-2021, 13:01
Well, no, I haven't. Didn't mean to insult your intelligence or your country. Best of luck!

no need to apologise Mark, you didn't do either. Irish humour!!!!!: