PDA

View Full Version : Is Wisner Still Making Cameras??

Andrew O'Neill
24-Feb-2006, 23:04
I was just checking out ebay when I came across a guy selling a 4x5 Wisner. He claimed that he purchased it new just prior to suspension of operations...You can check it out for yourself?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Wisner-Stealth-Camera-5X7-Format_W0QQitemZ7593674308QQcategoryZ15247QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is Wisner still in the business of making cameras?

Stephen Willard
24-Feb-2006, 23:22
I just visited Wisner's website and he is still making cameras. According to is website he is taking new orders for cameras now.

You can check it out yourself at http://www.wisner.com/

neil poulsen
25-Feb-2006, 09:53
Based on his comments on this forum awhile ago, he was moving to a new place, downsizing, and was considering supporting existing customers only. At that time, it wasn't his intention to take on new customers. He was also going to cut his product line back.

He was stretched pretty thin, and he wanted to remedy that. Plus, there've been some pretty significant changes in the marketplace. What with film going south. He indicated that the price of his cameras would probably increase.

Sal Santamaura
25-Feb-2006, 10:12
"What with film going south."

Has any significant LF film 'gone south?' It seems we have many more choices in sheet film than when Wisner was at his "peak" a few years ago.

Jerry Flynn
25-Feb-2006, 14:59
Just to muddy the waters a little more -- wasn't there a thread stating that Ron was stepping aside and that his production manager was buying out the business and continuing operations at a different location?

John Z.
25-Feb-2006, 17:24
The best way to find out would be to call his business, and see if he responds to any new camera orders. His web site indicates it was updated in January, and seems to say he was still in the process of moving at that time.

Ron Wisner
25-Feb-2006, 18:15
I will save everyone the trouble. We are in fact mostly moved but are still wiring and insulating the new shop. I have not accepted any new orders yet. I will post on our website when this happens, including new prices, simpler product line and pictures of the new shop. Also the phone was just moved so it will be reconnected next week, but as we are not entertaining new business just yet, please contact us by email, not by phone for any information.

steve simmons
25-Feb-2006, 18:15
"What with film going south"

What does this mean? View Camera, in our Jan/Feb 06 issue, just listed all of the sheet films currently available and there are more choices than any of us will ever use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope we are not going to get into one of those absurd threads about the death of film.

steve simmons
www.viewcamera.com

Mark_3632
25-Feb-2006, 18:39
yep dead and gone. Steve lied in his mag. you will just have to send all of your cameras and lenses to me since they are useless now. :)

Michael Kadillak
25-Feb-2006, 19:02
I have heard that Ron was one of a number of people that were anticipating filling a ULF camera building niche business that would be served by wet plate photography when film for ULF cameras were phased out and only 4x5 and maybe 8x10 would hang on for a few more years. As Steve stated above, nothing could have be further from the truth.

If we did not collectively take the bull by the horns and organize to represent our case to the film manufacturers, then unquestionably the demise of ULF film would have probably already started downhill toward this wet plate model.

However, it will be many years into the future before quality film and ULF photography will in fact part company and force those that want to continue this craft to wet plate. I would not concern myself about having a camera and holders made for wet plate work unless that is your primary objective.

Keith Canham continues to take orders and sell cameras with his exemplary customer service and there are a myriad of other overseas and domestic camera makers that have been very active to fill this demand. I do not see this changing anytime soon. I received many many e-mails from individuals after we announced the T Max 400 ULF deal (and the concurrent Ilford deal) that finally had enough positive news with film for these formats to make the leap into ULF photography whereas previously they were rightfully concerned and decided to stay on the sidelines.

2006 has been a tremendous year and I see it only getting better.

Cheers!