PDA

View Full Version : where to find large format equipment buyers?

Jaz Jablonski
24-Feb-2006, 10:01
I am no longer using my large format (4x5) camera, lenses plus accessories and want to find a buyer for them. Where are the best places to try to sell them without practically giving them away? They're all in near mint condition. I'd like to get the best dollar for them. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

Jaz Jablonski

Scott Rosenberg
24-Feb-2006, 10:10
jaz...

if this thread gets killed, don't be miffed. the moderators are tightening things up around here (which is a good thing)...

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/504870.html

David Rees
24-Feb-2006, 10:15
Have you considered eBay? I've purchased almost all of my 5x4 kit from eBay in the past 6 months. There's certainly a market for LF equipment in good or better condition, particularly if it is reasonably recent.

If you'd like advice on how to sell on eBay, send me an email.

David A. Goldfarb
24-Feb-2006, 10:16
If you're not a dealer yourself, sell on eBay and you should be able to get a price in between what a dealer would pay and what a dealer would sell for. If it is high-end equipment that you bought new some years ago, don't expect too much for it in the current market.

Just to give you an example, not too long ago I bought a well-maintained 8x10" Sinar P with a custom 40" bellows from a local studio for about $850, but I'm sure the photographer made more than the original cost of the camera many times over in commercial jobs.

David Karp
24-Feb-2006, 10:59
If you don't want to sell on E-Bay or know anyone to sell to in person, my first choice to sell to would be Jim Andracki at Midwest Photo Exchange (MEPX.com). In my experience he pays a fair price for used LF stuff. I guess the next choice would be KEH.com, since they do sell a lot of LF stuff. I have never sold to them though.

David Karp
24-Feb-2006, 11:00
Oh yeah. You can also join APUG.org and sell in their classifieds section.

Ron Marshall
24-Feb-2006, 11:06
Apug.org

Photo.net

ebay

Capocheny
24-Feb-2006, 12:00
Alternatively, you can contact one of the ebay re-sellers and see what they would charge to sell your gear.

Try Dagor77... his listings generally garner pretty healthy bids.

That said... I don't know what he would charge for the service.

Cheers

Dan Jolicoeur
24-Feb-2006, 12:37
MPEX or KEH will give you $.50 on a dollar. I got twice the price of a lens that I sold on ebay.

QT Luong
24-Feb-2006, 14:13
When the change in software just announced by Tom is completed, there will be a classifieds area on this forum.

Scott Rosenberg
24-Feb-2006, 14:23
qt, that's a great idea!

ronald lamarsh
24-Feb-2006, 16:08
I have to put in my vote for Jim at MPEX he's as honest as they come and in the end I doubt you'll get better on e-bay by the time you pay for the service etc. Also APUG.ORG

Brian Ellis
24-Feb-2006, 20:53
In addition to ebay you can place a n ad in the large format classified ad section of photo.net (www.photo.net) and in the marketplace section of rec.photo.equipment.large-format (assuming the marketplace part of rec.photo is still around). Also APUG, as someone else mentioned but you do have to pay a small fee to join APUG and use the classifieds. If you don't want to be bothered with selling retail, I second the suggestion of others to contact Jim at MidWest Photo Exchange.

Jaz Jablonski
24-Feb-2006, 22:32
Thank you one and all for all your advice. I'll certainly call Jim At Mid West Photo Exchange plus use your other suggestions.

Jaz

PS - If anyone has any other suggestions I'll be more than willing to listen. Please post. Thanks again.