PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to The Machine

paulbarden
2-Oct-2021, 16:58
Welcome to The Machine (Tropicana)
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51544624330_0d34073d7a_h.jpg

Scan of a 5x7 inch wet plate collodion negative.
Intrepid 5x7 camera used, with the Voigtlander Petzval lens, wide open.
7 minutes exposure on Quinn's collodion for negatives.

Two23
2-Oct-2021, 18:28
Looks good in b&w.

Kent in SD

Tin Can
3-Oct-2021, 05:14
Pink Floyd - Welcome to the Machine (1975) (https://youtu.be/7S8wllPmazM)

paulbarden
3-Oct-2021, 07:26
Looks good in b&w.

Kent in SD

Thanks!

LabRat
3-Oct-2021, 14:42
Kool!!! Great image!!!

But did they have this technology during the wet plate era???

But by the way, what was the subject matter, where, and what did it do???

Steve K

paulbarden
3-Oct-2021, 15:04
Kool!!! Great image!!!

But did they have this technology during the wet plate era???

But by the way, what was the subject matter, where, and what did it do???

Steve K

Hi Steve. Thanks, glad you like this.
This image depicts the interior relays board of a 1955 Tropicana pinball machine, which actually predates modern pinball machines: this was a "game of chance" (IE: a gambling machine) that did not have flippers, with which you could influence the outcome. It was saved from destruction in 1972 by my husband's father, when a long defunct bar in Montana was "excavated" after the wife of the owner died. The contents of the bar had been left untouched for about 15 years, when the owner had died, and the widow didn't want to keep the bar running, so she closed it up and left it, till her death, when the family cleared it out.
Its been in my husband's possession for many years, but yesterday he sold it to a friend, so it has a bit more of a future (we have no place to keep it anymore). It appears that there are only two copies of this machine left in existence, and this one is 98% functional.
This photograph was my very last opportunity to make its "portrait' before it went to its new home.

Tin Can
3-Oct-2021, 15:08
Collectors do pay big

I would make sure the lucky one knows that

Good for you!

LabRat
3-Oct-2021, 15:12
The Riverside pinball museum out here has to close (due to pandemic income woes) so most all will be auctioned off...

So sad... :-(

Steve K

Tin Can
4-Oct-2021, 05:13
https://sternpinball.com/event/chicago-pinball-expo-3/

Chi has bars full of machines

Many were made there

pendennis
4-Oct-2021, 07:32
Looks similar to the innards of the pinball machines that were usually located in bars or pool halls. No flippers, and you could insert multiple coins for each play. There was a screen which could be moved, changing the rows, columns, and diagonals of the ball slots. The payoffs were recorded as "free plays", but the barkeep or counter clerk would run off the replays and pay you in cash.

Greg
4-Oct-2021, 09:00
Water powered Trip-Hammer Machine. Collins Axe Factory, Collinsville, Connecticut.
Circa 1905 5x7 glass plate made by Charles Harrington.