PDA

View Full Version : OT: Availability of 120 Film?

Bill_1856
24-Feb-2006, 07:37
In your community has 120 Film become difficult to get at the usual non-camera store places (drug stores, WalMarts, Krogers, 7-11, etc)? Is only Color negative available, or some B&W, too?

Walt Calahan
24-Feb-2006, 07:46
I recommend ordering 120 film on-line for use in LF Roll Film backs instead of relying on non-camera stores. Around here they only stock 135 mm film.

Color transparency, color negative, and B&W 120 and 220 film is available.

Ted Harris
24-Feb-2006, 07:54
You haven't been able to get 120 film in the sorts of places mentioned in many (maybe most) parts of the US for at least 20 years. Let's not start another film is dead thread .

gfen
24-Feb-2006, 08:51
I've never seen roll film at any of those locations, however, I can say that roll film is starting to disappear from the "mainstream" camera stores, and I've never noticed sheet film at those locations.

Then, I do most film purchasing through the Internerd. I know, I know, support your local merchant. I'm a bad man.

David A. Goldfarb
24-Feb-2006, 08:56
No problem. Here in New York, you can get 5x12" Kodacolor Gold 400 in blister packs at the grocery store by the checkout right next to the dry plates.

Bill_1856
24-Feb-2006, 08:58
Sorry I asked on this forum. I'll try to take my business elsewhere,

Mark_3632
24-Feb-2006, 09:13
I've never seen any 120 film outside of camera stores. There it is still pretty easy to get, but kind of expensive. I usually just order mine. Even factoring the shipping I come out ahead.

steve_782
24-Feb-2006, 09:19
Bill, I've been buying 120 film since 1967. I've never seen 120 film in any of places you, apparently, would like to buy it. I always get my 120 / 220 film from three different places: 1. local camera store; 2. local processing lab; 3. order it from B&H or Samys.

I buy it 40 rolls at a time of each type of film I shoot, keep it in the freezer, and re-order when I'm down to 5 rolls. But, out of curiosity, the next time I'm at Walgreen's I'll cruise by the "photo dept" and see if they have any 120.

Steven Barall
24-Feb-2006, 09:28
Bill, don't be like that. There is infact a huge variety of 120 size film available today but it is really not considered a consumer item now like it was in the past. I remember as a kid being able to buy 120 film in all kinds of strange places. If you look around on the websites of the big photo suppliers like B&H and Calumet you can see what's out there. Also check jandcphoto.com for an amazing selection of black and white films available from companies large and small from the world over.

Get a selection of films and give them a try. This really is a great place for all kinds of useful information it's just that once in a while people get a little snooty. Don't forget people, 120 leads to 4x5 etc... Hey David, my local Korean grocery store keeps rolls of 120 Kodachrome right in the salad bar not to mention the wraps made with 11x14 Velvia with velveta.

Donald Brewster
24-Feb-2006, 09:51
Only see at good camera stores these days -- getting harder to find there too except at "pro" shops.

Terence McDonagh
24-Feb-2006, 09:52
120 is definitely getting harder to find. On vacation in Colorado I had to resort to bribing a precoessing lab owner to sell me a few rolls of his personal stock when I ran low.

Until three years ago I COULD actually get Kodak B&W 120 film at my local CVS (Hoboken, NJ), but I think that was because the manager was a photographer.

David A. Goldfarb
24-Feb-2006, 10:01
Just kidding, Bill. I think 120 at the drug store went into decline around the time they discontinued Verichrome Pan. One issue might be that Kodak and Fuji expect professional color films to be refrigerated, and drug stores and markets don't offer that option for film (though they do for milk and cheese).

Bill_1856
24-Feb-2006, 10:43
Thank you Guys for your straight answers. I should have explained my motive for asking -- I was wondering about the practacility of taking a folding 120 camera for backup when on the road with the 4x5. It doesn't make any sense to carry an extra bunch of film along for such purpose. Apparently it isn't a good idea; guess that I'll just continue to pack away a small 35mm "just in case". Thanks again.

CXC
24-Feb-2006, 11:17
A compact MF camera is a great backup to LF, and a convenience for imagery too fleeting to capture via tripod. Why not buy the film in advance? How much film might you shoot? 5 rolls, 60 frames, weigh nothing and take up hardly any space. Only risk is leftovers.

Chris Pandino
24-Feb-2006, 11:34
"No problem. Here in New York, you can get 5x12" Kodacolor Gold 400 in blister packs at the
grocery store by the checkout right next to the dry plates."

"Just kidding, Bill. I think 120 at the drug store went into decline around the time they
discontinued Verichrome Pan. One issue might be that Kodak and Fuji expect professional
color films to be refrigerated, and drug stores and markets don't offer that option for film
(though they do for milk and cheese)."

--David A. Goldfarb

David,
Thanks for clearing that up. I was about to put my house up for sale and move to NYC.

Mark Sampson
24-Feb-2006, 11:38
I don't travel anywhere expecting to buy film on the road- even on a trip to New York City. But it's true, 120 film has been a professional format for a long time; Kodak discontinued their roll-film cameras about 1963, when the 126 Instamatic came in. Some formats (620,127) survived 30 years after that. So 40+ years later, the survival of 120 film is down to portrait/wedding shooters and studio commercial photographers. Long may 120 live!

Kirk Gittings
24-Feb-2006, 11:51
When I am on the road for commercial shoots. I only shoot 120. Freestyle is a phone call away and all the film I want is waiting for me the next day at my motel.

BrianShaw
24-Feb-2006, 12:32
"It doesn't make any sense to carry an extra bunch of film along for such purpose. Apparently it isn't a good idea; guess that I'll just continue to pack away a small 35mm "just in case". "

Suit yourself... but if film availability is an issue, why not leave the 4x5 at home too? You're not going to find any film for that camera at the corner quicky mart! 120 film isn't *that* bulky, is it?

When I'm in your situation, I often leave the MF at home because the camera is bulky. In fact, I also leave my F-3 at home for the same reason! My Retina IIIc is compact, quiet, and reliable... but I ALWAYS end up regretting that decision when I'm squinting at those tiny 35mm negs.

Mark_3632
24-Feb-2006, 22:34
take the MF and film. Out of the boxes, but in the wrapper hey take up no space at all. It is amazing how many of those suckers will fit into a diaper bag without the wife even noticing.....At least until the Airport X-ray guy hauls her over to the side, does the complete search and asks her to unload the bag. My Butt was in the wringer for a while after that.