PDA

View Full Version : An Anthology Of Silver Prints

tundra
25-Sep-2021, 07:55
I have posted some of the images below here in the past. I finally sat down and consolidated a bunch of them i had laying around, old- and new, into a single album.

This is a more complete look at some of my work now beginning in 1995. I will likely add older- and new images as the spirit moves.

These are shot in a variety of film formats but all are scans of silver prints made from traditional negatives. Only minimal digital post processing was done to try and - as best as possible - match the actual print.

Questions, commentary, and critique are welcome:

https://www.tundraware.com/Photography/MyPhotographs/Silver/

Alan Klein
25-Sep-2021, 10:10
Nice prints. Are there common features like type of film, paper, etc?

tundra
25-Sep-2021, 12:17
Nice prints. Are there common features like type of film, paper, etc?

No, not really. The negatives are from Tri-X, Agfapan APX 100, TMX, FP4+, HP5+, and Efke 100PL. Formats include 35mm, 645, 6x6, 6x9, and 4x5.

Developers are HC-110B, PMK Pyro, D-76, D-23, and Pyrocat-HD, the latter being almost exclusively used in high-dilution, low agitation, long duration development (Semistand or Exterme Minimal Agitation). The last 1/3 or 1/2 of images were developed in some version of that with either D-23 1:1 or Pyrocat.

The images are VC split printed using a Zone VI VC cold light head on an old Omega D-2. The earlier ones are printed on either Arista.EDU VC Glossy or Oriental VC. The later ones are printed on Fomabrom VC Variant 111 (which to my mind is one of the finest VC papers ever made).

All of them are developed in Dektol 1:2, stopped with dilute glacial acetic acid, and rapid fixed in Ilford Hypam. After washing and clearing in PermaWash they were toned in Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner in dilutions varying from 1:20 to 1:40, and then go through a 60 min final wash.

Pieter
25-Sep-2021, 12:28
Maybe it's my browser, but all I see are tiny images, including the thumbnails on the right. Hard to judge anything from that, and I am not going to download to view.

tundra
25-Sep-2021, 12:31
It's definitely your browser. Likely it's not dealing with javascript properly.

Tin Can
25-Sep-2021, 14:17
Thank you!

Amazingly consistent over decades

Almost thought I knew locations

but I was wrong

again

Michael R
25-Sep-2021, 14:53
I like the trees/branches in fresh snow. I’d be tempted to crop it but it’s not my picture so feel free to disregard that.

tundra
25-Sep-2021, 15:00
No, mine is the same. Tiny image in the upper left corner.

Hmmmmm, what browser and what OS? I have looked at this on a variety of display surfaces and it always worked well.

Is it possible your browser is zooming down? Do you have another browser with which to try this?

So far I have confirmed proper operation on IOS/Safari on iPad, Linux/Chrome, Linux/Firefox, and Android/Chrome. I have anecdotal evidence that it also works on iPhones.

tundra
25-Sep-2021, 15:04
I like the trees/branches in fresh snow. I’d be tempted to crop it but it’s not my picture so feel free to disregard that.

I should probably have noted that these are prints from my workbooks. They are not finally finished, spotted, cropped, etc. So, yes, there is likely quite a bit of opportunity for enhancement when/if I make a wall hanging out of any of these.

That picture was one of my early forays into Extreme Minimal Agitation earlier this year and I was still dialing in effective ASA. To my eye, it needed just a touch more exposure in the shadows. These days, I'd Semistand develop it and get full box ASA and thereby be able to place shadows just fine.

tundra
25-Sep-2021, 15:05
Thank you!

Amazingly consistent over decades

Almost thought I knew locations

but I was wrong

again

Happy to reveal locations, camera, etc. of any or all as requested.

Pieter
25-Sep-2021, 15:14
Hmmmmm, what browser and what OS? I have looked at this on a variety of display surfaces and it always worked well.

Is it possible your browser is zooming down? Do you have another browser with which to try this?

For me it does not work in Safari/MacOS Catalina. It does work in Chrome/Catalina.

Michael R
25-Sep-2021, 15:16
Actually what makes it work for me (based on how it looks on my screen which of course might be inaccurate) is the graphic quality of the combination of subject matter and rendering. Black and white without much in between suits the subject, but again this is just my view.

I should probably have noted that these are prints from my workbooks. They are not finally finished, spotted, cropped, etc. So, yes, there is likely quite a bit of opportunity for enhancement when/if I make a wall hanging out of any of these.

That picture was one of my early forays into Extreme Minimal Agitation earlier this year and I was still dialing in effective ASA. To my eye, it needed just a touch more exposure in the shadows. These days, I'd Semistand develop it and get full box ASA and thereby be able to place shadows just fine.

tundra
25-Sep-2021, 15:24
For me it does not work in Safari/MacOS Catalina. It does work in Chrome/Catalina.

I just tried it with Safari on Catalina 10.15.7. Worked perfectly out of the box. This suggests some settings madness with your instance of Safari, particularly since Chrome works. This is why everyone uses Chrome or Firefox ;)

To test this theory, you could create a "clean" new test account on your Mac and see if Safari works properly when logged in as that user.

paulbarden
25-Sep-2021, 17:13
Doesn't display correctly. Mac OS X High Sierra, Firefox browser.
This is what I see:219928

tundra
25-Sep-2021, 17:53
Doesn't display correctly. Mac OS X High Sierra, Firefox browser.
This is what I see:219928

This may well be an incompatibility in the gallery generation software (fgallery) which has not been updated since 2016. I will look around for better/newer gallery software. In the mean time, perhaps try Chrome.

(Keep in mind that you're also running a very old version of OSX which was declared End Of Life last December. One of the many reasons I am less and less excited about OSX or Windows and use Linux for almost everything.)

tundra
25-Sep-2021, 19:03
Maybe it's my browser, but all I see are tiny images, including the thumbnails on the right. Hard to judge anything from that, and I am not going to download to view.

Try again please. I updated the gallery generator.

tundra
25-Sep-2021, 19:03
No, mine is the same. Tiny image in the upper left corner.

Try again please. I updated the gallery generator.

paulbarden
26-Sep-2021, 07:26
This may well be an incompatibility in the gallery generation software (fgallery) which has not been updated since 2016. I will look around for better/newer gallery software. In the mean time, perhaps try Chrome.

There's no way on Earth I will install Chrome on any of my machines. Google's product is intended to scrape every tidbit of user information possible, while Firefox's goal is to protect users from invasive agendas.

Your regeneration of the gallery works now, by the way. Thanks.

tundra
26-Sep-2021, 09:13
There's no way on Earth I will install Chrome on any of my machines. Google's product is intended to scrape every tidbit of user information possible, while Firefox's goal is to protect users from invasive agendas.

Your regeneration of the gallery works now, by the way. Thanks.

OK great. I long ago accepted that almost any use of the web - on any browser or OS - was a tacit acceptance to have my privacy violated. I mostly use Firefox, which while better, is still not perfect. Maybe tor+vpn is better, but that assumes the vpn vendor isn't selling their logs to ...

Anyway, thanks for bringing this to my attention.