PDA

View Full Version : So stores/ebay sell 4x5 GG protectors but not 8x10?

ericantonio
22-Sep-2021, 16:32
On the "Lounge" sub-forum, I posted about this guy who didn't know what he was doing --me! it was me!!-- and how he broke his ground glass. I thought, someone must've made one of these, if not a 3d print job but ebay and stores don't seem to have an 8x10 GG protector.

What's your McGuyver on making one for transport?

ericantonio
22-Sep-2021, 16:38
Well, how about that, I just did a quick search and I didn't see this before, but CatLabs has one. $70 bucks for a clear acrylic one with a bendy loop on top, kinda like a giant money clip.

Oren Grad
22-Sep-2021, 16:48
Badger Graphic offers plexiglas GG protectors in several sizes, including 8x10 for $49.99.

ericantonio
22-Sep-2021, 16:54
Badger Graphic offers plexiglas GG protectors in several sizes, including 8x10 for $49.99.

Oh, I haven't been to that website in years! I'll check it out!

Drew Wiley
22-Sep-2021, 17:00
Make my own with about 50 cents worth of scrap plastic, preferably polycarbonate, but acrylic is OK too. Takes all of about ten minutes to make one. A plastics shop could cut you a piece to size for a few dollars, if you don't have the ability yourself.
A ski file or a sheet of sandpaper will quickly relieve any sharp edges.

How these are attached to the back depends on the specific camera. Simple velcro buttons work in some instances, attached to the GG perimeter frame. With the Sinar monorail, the sliding clip on the back does the job with complete reliability, and retains the flat shield at a comfortable small distance from the glass itself. (You need to take into account any potential bowing inward of the plastic cover itself).

In once instance I wanted to go cute instead, for sake of my 8x10 folder and battle-scarred Ries wooden tripod, and used undrilled copper clad PC board, then swirly toned it using vinegar followed by ammonia. The old fashioned way would be to bury it in wet used cat litter, and let the urine do the job. But I wanted more of a tie dyed look without the same amount of stink, in order to get true Verdi gris upon copper color. Then I sealed it off from further shift with an appropriate clear Krylon spray varnish. Velro buttons have proven completely reliable in that case.

ericantonio
22-Sep-2021, 17:19
In once instance I wanted to go cute instead, for sake of my 8x10 folder and battle-scarred Ries wooden tripod, and used undrilled copper clad PC board, then swirly toned it using vinegar followed by ammonia. The old fashioned way would be to bury it in wet used cat litter, and let the urine do the job. But I wanted more of a tie dyed look without the same amount of stink, in order to get true Verdi gris upon copper color. Then I sealed it off from further shift with an appropriate clear Krylon spray varnish. Velro buttons have proven completely reliable in that case.

We need a photo of this man! And a photo of the cat!

BrianShaw
22-Sep-2021, 17:25
I broke a GG about 27 years ago. Since then I keep thinking of a GG protector. But I’ve been so careful ever since and I’ve never really needed it.

ericantonio
22-Sep-2021, 18:22
I broke a GG about 27 years ago. Since then I keep thinking of a GG protector. But I’ve been so careful ever since and I’ve never really needed it.

Some guy ran over my bike in the garage. Good thing I got that idiot's licence plate. That plate was oddly just like mine.

Drew Wiley
22-Sep-2021, 19:21
You should have taken that plate for a ground glass cover. That would be novel.

Willie
22-Sep-2021, 21:17
Mat board and fome cor board work well. Join with gaffers tape at the top and you have one that works.

Oslolens
23-Sep-2021, 00:25
How about a thick fresnel?

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

ericantonio
23-Sep-2021, 07:18
Mat board and fome cor board work well. Join with gaffers tape at the top and you have one that works.

Now that's the kind of Mcguyver'ism I expect from this Forum!!

Alan9940
23-Sep-2021, 07:24
If you don't want to DIY it, Keith Canham sells a very nice gg protector. Back when I bought mine, IIRC it was $40.

tykos
23-Sep-2021, 07:39
i just took an acrylic 2-3mm sheet (5€ i think, and i've still got more than half of it), cut it to size, bended 2 times with an heat gun and a wood scrap lath as a guide, sanded a little bit and obtained the horrible and crappy brother of this one: http://stevemidgleyphotography.com/IMG_0426.jpg
It works!

choiliefan
26-Sep-2021, 07:52
I used a scrap sheet of 1/8" Lexan, cut to twice the required length to cover the glass and frame.
Took note of the center line and used a hair dryer to heat said center line and gently folded the Lexan to fit. ​
Very low-tech and slides in just like a film holder and covers the gg on both sides.

Two23
26-Sep-2021, 09:43
The old fashioned way would be to bury it in wet used cat litter, and let the urine do the job. .

My assistant, Annie the Cat, is ready for the job.:D All of this did get me thinking. I'm strictly an outdoor photographer, often in some dicey environments. I've been simply carrying my Kodak 2D in a regular backpack with the GG pressed towards my back (the padded rear of the pack.) A simple sheet of thin veneer or acrylic might be a wiser idea.

Kent in SD

Vaughn
26-Sep-2021, 09:54
My last backpack trip with the 5x7 I just slid an 8-ply piece of matboard (a 'hole' from cutting a window mat) behind the camera when I put it in the stuff sack.

My GG protector for the 11x14 is a ~12x30 piece of plex that was heated and bent over a rod in the middle (rod then removed) -- it slides in like a film holder, covering both sides of the GG without touching the GG.

ericantonio
27-Sep-2021, 09:10
I found some foam core I wasn't using. I LOVE your ideas guys! I'll try to fashion something today with it. I'll use a film holder as a template. So I'm thinking a piece that goes inside like a film holder, and then a piece outside to protect the glass.