PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Century 5x7 plate holders and Pony Premo

gimenosaiz
16-Sep-2021, 02:30
@Hello!

Do you know if Kodak 5x7 wood plate holders for View or Century Cameras are can be used in a Pony Premo #4?

Thank you !

Kind regards from Spain.
Antonio

Tin Can
16-Sep-2021, 04:08
Maybe

I solve this issue by first trying a modern 5X7 film holder

and sometimes use them if they fit

I have bought as many sizes of film holders as I can afford

Plate holders may vary during that crossover decade

I don't have a data base, I just mix and match

Always get holders with an old camera

Then check and adjust 'T'

gimenosaiz
17-Sep-2021, 07:21
Maybe

I solve this issue by first trying a modern 5X7 film holder

and sometimes use them if they fit

I have bought as many sizes of film holders as I can afford

Plate holders may vary during that crossover decade

I don't have a data base, I just mix and match

Always get holders with an old camera

Then check and adjust 'T'
Hi!
I think that I'll try modern film holders ...

Thank you!

Pat Kearns
17-Sep-2021, 17:05
Modern film holders will work but there will be about a 1/8" focus shift compared to the plate holders. My brother-in-law built a spacer out of plexiglass that I insert when focusing then remove and insert the modern film holder for exposure. I have a ROC Pony Premo No. 3 that is a 5x7.

A forum member sent me the following information on the aperture markings. It might help you from burning up a lot of film.

Pat -- the aperture may be marked in the old U. S. numbers, where 8 = f/11, 16 = f/16, 32 = f/22, 64 = f/32, and 128 = f/45. If it is marked thus, the aperture at number 8 should appear to be about 3/4 inch when viewed through the front lens cell from a distance, and at number 128, about 3/16 inch. At the modern f/8 number, the diameter should appear to be about one inch, and at f/128, about 1/16 inch.

gimenosaiz
18-Sep-2021, 14:59
Modern film holders will work but there will be about a 1/8" focus shift compared to the plate holders. My brother-in-law built a spacer out of plexiglass that I insert when focusing then remove and insert the modern film holder for exposure. I have a ROC Pony Premo No. 3 that is a 5x7.

A forum member sent me the following information on the aperture markings. It might help you from burning up a lot of film.

Pat -- the aperture may be marked in the old U. S. numbers, where 8 = f/11, 16 = f/16, 32 = f/22, 64 = f/32, and 128 = f/45. If it is marked thus, the aperture at number 8 should appear to be about 3/4 inch when viewed through the front lens cell from a distance, and at number 128, about 3/16 inch. At the modern f/8 number, the diameter should appear to be about one inch, and at f/128, about 1/16 inch.
Hi, Pat!

Thank you very much!! Very valuable information !!!

Regards
Antonio