PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who have 8x10 monorails...carrying....

ericantonio
9-Sep-2021, 14:00
Those of you packing up your monorail and onto your Dodge Minivan, do you guys break it completely apart? Like front/rear standards off, rails off, bellows off, and then put it back together when you get somewhere? Or kinda keep it together and put it in a big 'ol box.

I used to have a 4x5 monorail with a case on it is suspended upsidedown in it and resting on the rails. That was pretty nice. I don't think 8x10's have cases that large

abruzzi
9-Sep-2021, 14:44
I’m still trying to figure that out. While there are big bags, few are big in the right places. I have an old Tamrac bag that came with my Technikardan, and if I pull all the dividers I can barely fit the Norma 8x10 on a 6 inch rail (just to keep the parts from flopping around.). It’s quick to reassemble, so packing it off the rail wouldn’t be that bad, but in this case I’m more worried about things banging into each other and breaking the glass, but in the case of this bag the dividers wouldn’t really help. If your camera doesn’t have short rails that will make keeping it together harder because it will make the shape very awkward.

Greg
9-Sep-2021, 14:58
Sinar 8x10 Norma. Folded up upon itself and rests inside an old OEM Sinar case. Unfolding takes under 30 seconds. Folding the camera upon itself per Sinar's illustration (image attached) takes time to master. After probably 20 times folding the camera upon itself, I finally got it.

Tin Can
9-Sep-2021, 15:03
I got a custom box for you

I bought an 8X10 P rig with 3 lens packed securely for world travel including the country stickers

The all 1/2" plywood custom made weighs a lot, I kept the case and lenses when I sold the P

No damage to the P at all

ericantonio
9-Sep-2021, 15:23
Sinar 8x10 Norma. Folded up upon itself and rests inside an old OEM Sinar case. Unfolding takes under 30 seconds. Folding the camera upon itself per Sinar's illustration (image attached) takes time to master. After probably 20 times folding the camera upon itself, I finally got it.

That's sweet setup. But I like the circa Cold War style art work!

Daniel Unkefer
9-Sep-2021, 15:46
I -just- got one of the original Sinar Norma 8x10 cases. It arrived from Italy and some smart gentlemen kept it in immaculate like new condition. It cost $100 and $90 to ship. What got me to pull the trigger, is that the original cloth straps and in-pieces are perfect. I have never seen one in such good condition. Usually they are Butt Ugly condition. So it goes into my Sinar Norma Museum studio LOL

Worth every penny. Holds a complete 8x10 Norma system. I'm going to take a picture. BTW I always carried around the 4x5 Norma fibre case with a very well padded strap.

Kept everything clean and super organized in very dirty conditions. It's not as heavy as you might think and I know this from decades of direct experience.

Mat Marash at Midwest Photo recently sold me recently a restorable 8x10 Upgrade Sinar Norma Case. Holds what you need to upsize the Norma from 4x5 to 8x10

ericantonio
9-Sep-2021, 15:57
I -just- got one of the original Sinar Norma 8x10 cases. It arrived from Italy and some smart gentlemen kept it in immaculate like new condition. It cost $100 and $90 to ship. What got me to pull the trigger, is that the original cloth straps and in-pieces are perfect. I have never seen one in such good condition. Usually they are Butt Ugly condition. So it goes into my Sinar Norma Museum studio LOL

Worth every penny. Holds a complete 8x10 Norma system. I'm going to take a picture. BTW I always carried around the 4x5 Norma fibre case with a very well padded strap.

Kept everything clean and super organized in very dirty conditions. It's not as heavy as you might think and I know this from decades of direct experience.

Mat Marash at Midwest Photo recently sold me recently a restorable 8x10 Upgrade Sinar Norma Case. Holds what you need to upsize the Norma from 4x5 to 8x10

This is amazing! Yes let's see that photo!

I was thinking like a giant plastic crate from Home Depot, and a lot of eggshell foam stuff.

abruzzi
9-Sep-2021, 16:09

I’ve tried for several hours with different positions but mine simply will not do that.

Greg
9-Sep-2021, 16:18
Holds a complete 8x10 Norma system.

Addendum: I am currently figuring out how to modify my OEM vintage case to hold an 8x10 Sinar Norma on a shortened rail and thus fully ready to be mounted on a tripod head. Seems quite possible. Will post images if I succeed. As far as the weight goes, to me it is directly dependent on the lenses that I put inside the case. For a fully loaded case, I use a rolling fold up wheeled luggage cart.

r.e.
9-Sep-2021, 16:42
For car transport...

When I want to use my Arca-Swiss F-Line as a 4x5, I usually put it in the car assembled. When I want to use it as an 8x10, it goes into the car disassembled and I assemble it when I get to my destination. Assembly only takes a few minutes, and it takes the same amount of time regardless of whether I do it before it goes into the car or after I take it out of the car.

ericantonio
9-Sep-2021, 17:05
For car transport...

When I want to use my Arca-Swiss F-Line as a 4x5, I usually put it in the car assembled. When I want to use it as an 8x10, it goes into the car disassembled and I assemble it when I get to my destination. Assembly only takes a few minutes, and it takes the same amount of time regardless of whether I do it before it goes into the car or after I take it out of the car.

Right, what I want to know is how do you carry the 8x10 in the car? In box? Case? Flat Case? I'm sure you want to protect it bouncing around and drifting around curves.

r.e.
9-Sep-2021, 17:19
Right, what I want to know is how do you carry the 8x10 in the car? In box? Case? Flat Case? I'm sure you want to protect it bouncing around and drifting around curves.

I use a Pelican case, but on occasion I've used a cardboard box :) I just make sure that the camera is protected enough that it should be OK if I'm in a hypothetical minor car accident.

tgtaylor
9-Sep-2021, 17:20
Years back I bought a Calumet W15102 rolling case w/foam from the local Calumet store in San Francisco for the Toyo 810G. The camera stores assembled riding on the short rail with extension rails and focusing cloth on top of the foam. It is an easy fit in the trunk of a Toyota Echo or the larger trunk of a Corolla. I always bring along a 2-wheel dolly that I also got from Calumet for transporting the camera in its case and tripod from the car. Lenses and holders are carried in a backpack although you can leave one lens attached in the case. It's also a good idea to bring a 3-wheel tripod dolly if you plan to be moving around onsite.

Thomas

ericantonio
9-Sep-2021, 18:12
I use a Pelican case, but on occasion I've used a cardboard box :) I just make sure that the camera is protected enough that it should be OK if I'm in a hypothetical minor car accident.

I see. Which model # pelican? Do you use foam or the dividers?

ericantonio
9-Sep-2021, 18:14
Years back I bought a Calumet W15102 rolling case w/foam from the local Calumet store in San Francisco for the Toyo 810G. The camera stores assembled riding on the short rail with extension rails and focusing cloth on top of the foam. It is an easy fit in the trunk of a Toyota Echo or the larger trunk of a Corolla. I always bring along a 2-wheel dolly that I also got from Calumet for transporting the camera in its case and tripod from the car. Lenses and holders are carried in a backpack although you can leave one lens attached in the case. It's also a good idea to bring a 3-wheel tripod dolly if you plan to be moving around onsite.

Thomas

I'm using right now, a knobby tire garden cart (Gorilla Carts). I've used a jogging stroller with big wheels. I was thinking a golf caddy, I always see those at Goodwill, to carry my Bogen 3051.

Daniel Unkefer
9-Sep-2021, 19:00
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51440527062_5f9b1d1363_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2mnC9x1)8x10 Norma Case 1 (https://flic.kr/p/2mnC9x1) by Nokton48 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51442243345_8884aff93c_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2mnLWJ6)8x10 Norma Case 2 (https://flic.kr/p/2mnLWJ6) by Nokton48 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51441283056_e0be00a25d_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2mnG2go)8x10 Norma Case 3 (https://flic.kr/p/2mnG2go) by Nokton48 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/), on Flickr

Hey Eric,
Here is my 8x10 Norma case from Italy. I will re-do the foam pads other than that it is clean and complete

neil poulsen
9-Sep-2021, 19:11
I've had an Arca Swiss Model A, and I keep it in a backpack that's attached to a gold cart. Arcas break down and assemble easily and compactly.

abruzzi
9-Sep-2021, 19:20
This is my bag with the Norma in it. The top doesn't quite close down, but I can slide two film holders in the pocket in the front. The rail the standards are on is a 6in extension rail, underneath the camera is a 12in base rail and a 12in extension. The base rail is a bit too long to leave the camera on it, so I clamps the standards to the short extension, then when I pull it out, I loosen everything, attach the base rail, maybe the 12in extension. (in this photo the tripod mount is not on, but it fits between the two standards.)

abruzzi
9-Sep-2021, 19:41
Are there different length pleated bellows standard for the Norma? I ask because in my picture above, that is as compressed as the bellows will go. I ask because in the instructions posted above it says to leave the bellows attached to the front standard and fold the standard horizontal, but I can't get mine to even 45 degrees with the bellows still attached.

r.e.
9-Sep-2021, 20:32
I see. Which model # pelican? Do you use foam or the dividers?

I have a number of Pelican and Nanuk cases that I use for various purposes, none dedicated to my Arca-Swiss. I've transported the camera on the rear rack of my motorcycle, which calls for a different case than what I'd use for the car. The Nanuk cases are less expensive (often on sale from B&H) and in my view just as good.

I think that the dividers are probably a good idea for some purposes, but I don't have any. When it comes to protection, I'll use whatever seems to work, from styrofoam to towels.

I agree with Neil Poulsen's comment (post #17): "Arcas break down and assemble easily and compactly."

Sorry, I'm not very scientific or methodical about this, but one could easily rig a dedicated Pelican or Nanuk case for a monorail, at least for an Arca-Swiss. Then, I think the main question would be whether one wants to use a case with wheels.

Jim Andrada
14-Sep-2021, 19:43
For my 5 x 7 Kardan Bi I had a machine shop cut town one of the rail sections so it was just long enough to hold the front and rear standards with enough space between them to insert in the rail clamp and a few mm of rail protruding. So the camera was always fully set up and ready. Mount on the tripod, screw on the other rail elements and go. I found a rectangular aluminum case that was deep enough to store the camera resting on the film back and drilled a couple of blocks of plywood just large enough for the ends of the rail to house in the blocks. Used the case for years - I can take a photo later this week when they let me go home from the hospital.

ericantonio
14-Sep-2021, 19:54
Jim, thanks, would appreciate the photo. I was at Home Depot today to find a 3/8-16 nut for my Gitzo. I saw this tool case. I know a photog who actually uses these for lights, gear, and cameras in cases. Was thinking maybe foam or something like you described, kinda like the old metal cases were desiged. Or I can just foam it up somehow inside. I like the bigger wheels on these

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61s8HpYTROL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

Rod Klukas
22-Sep-2021, 14:26
The Arca can be collapsed on a 6"or 15cm rail and slid out of the connecting bracket and put in a case or back pack. I carry my 8x10 this way using a 15cm, 40cm and 40cm bracket.
Any Arca-Swiss camera can be collapsed onto a 15cm rail.
The connecting bracket could go into a tube case on the side of the back pack or in a case. John Stone at Stone Photo gear makes cases for the Arca-Swiss
Connecting bracket and rail. He makes customer things as well. Stonephotogear.com

Also any Arca-Swiss can be mounted on the current Arca-Swiss monorail II rails.

Hope this helps.

Rod

ericantonio
22-Sep-2021, 16:17
The Arca can be collapsed on a 6"or 15cm rail and slid out of the connecting bracket and put in a case or back pack. I carry my 8x10 this way using a 15cm, 40cm and 40cm bracket.
Any Arca-Swiss camera can be collapsed onto a 15cm rail.
The connecting bracket could go into a tube case on the side of the back pack or in a case. John Stone at Stone Photo gear makes cases for the Arca-Swiss
Connecting bracket and rail. He makes customer things as well. Stonephotogear.com

Also any Arca-Swiss can be mounted on the current Arca-Swiss monorail II rails.

Hope this helps.

Rod

Thank you that did help. So the trick is to have the short rail on it. Do you remove the bellows? Looks like mine, from the BOTTOM of the rail, to the top of the camera is 21" so I'll need a case that is about at least 21" in height. Then I can get some foam stuff to wrap it around in. You guys bring out the McGuyver in me! Or the Rube Goldberg...whichever works.

ericantonio
22-Sep-2021, 16:29
I may try that Rigid 22 from Home Depot this weekend. It looks like the height will fit but barely. I can probably tilt it a little bit and for sure it'll fit, and get some foam to wrap it up. I"m sure my broomstick of a rail will fit in there too. I do know a digital photographer who uses these.

The middle tier one that fits on top of this, can house the lenses, meters, 12" long Subway Meatball sandwich, masking tape, and a few holders. This way I'll just walk around looking like I have $20,000 worth of tools instead of a $1,000 camera.

If it doesn't fit, I can return it, literally 2 blocks away.