PDA

View Full Version : New Film From Fuji!

Scott Fleming
20-Feb-2006, 02:06
How can this be? Film is dead, right?

LINK (http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/PREventDetailPage.jsp?DBID=NEWS_845107&CAT_ID=-1007)

Scott Fleming
20-Feb-2006, 02:14
Oh Gee whiz, here's another one!

LINK (http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/PREventDetailPage.jsp?DBID=NEWS_845110&CAT_ID=-1007)

mark blackman
20-Feb-2006, 02:49
not much use to us though, its in toy camera sizes.

Walt Calahan
20-Feb-2006, 07:11
Fuji also update their sheet film. NPS 160 is now NPS 160S.

Now my "toy" 8x10 has fresh new film to use. Yippee!

Gee Mark, I never thought my Leicas were toys?

Why the need for the put down?

Great photography doesn't "only" happen in Large Format. My approach is to honor anyone's creative expression regardless of his or her cameras size.

I wish our posting reflected a positive attitude. Can't we rise above the pettiness. It really turns me off to see all the negative stuff on this forum.

Michael Graves
20-Feb-2006, 07:56
While there is no indication on the Provia, the T64 Professional indicates that it will be available in sheet film.

Andrew O'Neill
20-Feb-2006, 08:11
Oh, relax Walter. It was meant as a joke. We need more people on this forum with a sense of humour.

Ted Harris
20-Feb-2006, 08:41
It would also be interesting to know if the Provia 400X is NOT available in sheet film sizes or just NOT available to Fuji USA in sheet film sizes. I have not done the digging through the Fuji Corporate home site but if we have someone who reads Japanese following this thread the answer would be mildly interesting.

As many of us know, some of Fuji's marketing decisions seem curious, to say the least, from a user's viewpoint. The most curious being their absolute refusal to supply Fuji USA with 5x7 sheet film (which is available in Japan ... and in Europe cut as 13x18) even with a largish (100 box order guarantee). I confirmed this with Fuji USA folk a year ago and reconfirmed it through our friends at Samy's, after they managed to push through the 8x10 order a few weeks ago. No such luck on 5x7.

Walt Calahan
20-Feb-2006, 09:00
Hey Mark, was your comment meant as a joke?

I'll withdraw my comment if it was.

Andrew thinks it was, and I hope he's right, but since I've joined this forum I've been pulled down by so much negativity, I may be losing my sense of humor!

Now there was this chicken crossing a road with a toy camera . . ..

Grin

Oren Grad
20-Feb-2006, 09:18
It would also be interesting to know if the Provia 400X is NOT available in sheet film sizes or just NOT available to Fuji USA in sheet film sizes. I have not done the digging through the Fuji Corporate home site but if we have someone who reads Japanese following this thread the answer would be mildly interesting.

Ted, the only mention of 400X on the Japanese web site so far is in a list of products to be introduced at PMA. No details. I can find Provia 400F in the regular product listing, but no sheet film formats for that.

Hiro
20-Feb-2006, 10:48
Ditto. I looked while ago if Fuji made ISO400 transparencies in sheets and found none. 400X is supposed to replace 400F. It is indicated T64 is available in 4x5 (sheets and QL) and 8x10 at least in Japan.

robc
20-Feb-2006, 12:13
"Now there was this chicken crossing a road with a toy camera"

Why?

David Luttmann
20-Feb-2006, 12:59
"Now there was this chicken crossing a road with a toy camera"

"Why?"

To get to the other halide ;-)

John Layton
20-Feb-2006, 14:15
Sounds like a chicken with some serious emulsional issues!

mark blackman
20-Feb-2006, 23:50
Yes, Walt, it was an attempt at humour. I'm fed up of reading about new film being announced, only to find it's not available in sheets.

Walt Calahan
21-Feb-2006, 07:14
Mark

Don't blame you for feeling fed up about the state of film offered in larger formats.

I guess I was fed up at hearing too many times that smaller formats are "toys" when all of this stuff we use are simply tools. I withdraw my comment.

And Dave, you've got me laughing out loud with your completion of the "chicken" joke. Most excellent use of photo terms!!!

Best

mark blackman
21-Feb-2006, 11:21
Walt, I never withdrew my comment about toy cameras.

Walt Calahan
21-Feb-2006, 11:58
Mark

Since I've never gotten over playing with "toys" as a kid, I think all my cameras from pinhole, digital, 35 mm, 6x6, 6x7, 4x5, and yes, 8x10 are just expensive toys.

My 8x10 camera is simply a bigger toy. 16x20 format probably is a great deal of fun to play with, but it's only a dream for me.

It appears that even though you were making a joke about film, you still have certain opinion about smaller formats that I don't share.

Oh well, I don't get it. My lose.

Dave, I'm still smiling about "the other halide."

David Karp
21-Feb-2006, 12:23
And by the way, the old Fuji Tungsten sheet film was very nice. If the new stuff is even nicer, we are that much richer having it available.

One of my favorite interior shots was made with the old film using existing light and the modeling lights only from a couple of monolights as fill. The colors were just beautiful. (That coming from a primarily B&W kind of guy.)

I never did it, but often thought that using it outside with a correction filter would render some very nice color photographs. Oh well, another thing for my list.