PDA

View Full Version : Help needed, broken wood field

Laszlo
19-Feb-2006, 20:15
Hello everyone,

I have discovered two cracks in the wood on my beloved Tachihara. Am not familiar w/ the technical terminology but will do my best to describe the problem: the rail lip that holds the sliding bed has a crack on both sides (see photo here (http://www.vassar.info/gallery/photo.php?photo=1961" target="blank)). The cracks extend about two inches towards the back. When the bed is fully extended the front standard is very unstable and risks extending the cracks to the point that the bed would come apart.

Do you have any suggestions on how to repair it? Is there anyone who repairs wood cameras? Many thanks.

Ralph Barker
19-Feb-2006, 20:41
Although the needed repair appears to be relatively simple, if you aren't a woodworker, it may be better to have a camera technician do the work. I haven't used him, but Richard Ritter (http://www.lg4mat.net/) has been highly recommended by others here.

Scott Bacon
19-Feb-2006, 21:01
Richard Ritter has done some work on my Wista DX and I highly recommend his services. I wouldn't hesitate to send my camera to him again (although, I hope it won't ever be necessary). ;-)

Louie Powell
20-Feb-2006, 06:42
Richard Ritter is well known for his work in both building and repaining wood field cameras. His web site is http://www.lg4mat.net/.

He also has a video on how to make field repairs. I understand that he actually trashed a Zone VI to make the video, and then completely rebuilt it.

Ted Harris
20-Feb-2006, 09:39
Richard's video is now ready for sale .... I know you can get them direct from Richard or from Bruce Barlow, who produced the video, as well. Or yell in my direction and I'll get you one as well. Bruce gave me the price but I want to be very sure before I post it. BTW, for those not in the Northeast, we really got whacked last week with high winds as part of a Nor'easter and Bruce's power and phones are still out so no sense in trying to reach him until tomorrow when all is supposed to be restored.

BTW, I was sitting here watching it while typing this and there is something in it for everyone.

Laszlo
20-Feb-2006, 22:35
Thank you much!

Bruce Barlow
22-Feb-2006, 06:04
Whew! Power out three days (Friday through Monday), phone (and thus internet) out until Tuesday late afternoon. But the parrots are still alive, and the houseplants didn't freeze in sub-zero weather here in SW New Hampshire. Sadly, I had to eat the ice cream in the freezer when it mostly melted (yum).

Yup, Richard's video is just about ready for sale. Yup, it starts with him tossing over a Zone VI camera and breaking it. $20 plus S&H. The indominatable Ted Harris is helping me get the web site up to sell it this week (I hope!). I'm not quite ready for a flood of orders yet, because I haven't gotten copies made. A few have gone out for preliminary review, and we're evaluating last-minute tweaks.

PLEASE don't make me track orders that arrive other ways than the web site! Thanks. It will be at Circleofthesunproductions.com when we're ready with the site and everything else.

We hope Richard's video is the first of a series on LF. In theory, I'm shooting one this week, but that's tough when Bruce has no Juice (no lights, no battery charging...). Juice is back now, and if I can keep Moses (our African Gray parrot) quiet, I'll get it mostly done...

For the repair described, I'd suggest sending it to Richard. He's the best, and the description sounds pretty dire.

Thanks for your patience while I learn how to operate a video fulfillment business. And if anyone has ideas for topic for videos, I'm all ears.