PDA

View Full Version : Deardorff 8x10 lens board mounting problem.

yoonbaeng
27-Aug-2021, 07:12
Hi,

I bought copal3 lens board, but it does not fit my camera.

I attached my lens board’s images.

Can any one give me some advice?

Thank you.

diversey
27-Aug-2021, 09:09
The lens board for deardorff 8x10 should be 6 inch square with round corners. Your lens board with copay 3 hole seems bigger.

RichardRitter
27-Aug-2021, 09:52
Your problem could be one of two reasons.
1 the front was not milled to the proper size I have seem this.
2 the lens boards is a little over sized and did fit in a different Deardorff but not your camera.

Easy way to fix the problem is to sand the board down to fit.

If you buy a second board and it does not fit it is the camera.

cowanw
27-Aug-2021, 12:35
I am pretty sure there are two sizes of 8X10 Deardorff boards vis a vis studio and field version cameras.

Luis-F-S
27-Aug-2021, 16:34
Sandpaper. Whomever built the board did not follow Deardorff specs. If you bought it new, return it and tell them to send you one that fits. If not new, sandpaper and a file until it fits. L

fuegocito
28-Aug-2021, 14:10
The lip is too thick for the intended slot, either sanding wrapped in a wood block or a straight metal file and a bit of elbow grease will take care of it.

yoonbaeng
31-Aug-2021, 23:14
Thanks for all the advice.

John Kasaian
1-Sep-2021, 09:38
What's going on in your third image?
It looks like the board is defective, not just the bevel.
It's important that the outer bearing surface is flat.
Unless you want to DIY repair with epoxy or similar, I'd send it back.

LabRat
1-Sep-2021, 10:21
Depends on if is a vintage or new board... New boards can be out of spec as the maker just has the measurements and never tried it on a camera... And is "beta testing" them on customers until returns start coming in...

Vintage boards can be off, as if old ones were stored for a long time someplace damp or humid and can expand slightly or start warping... (Or can shrink if stored someplace hot and dry...)

Maybe if new and made overseas, there might be metric/English differences of milled wood that crept in the making process...

Richard Ritter's suggestion that trying a different board first means camera might have had dimensional changes over time is good advice to check for, as this could happen also...

Using a good pair of measuring calipers on a board that fits well and comparing it to others is a rational approach...

Steve K

yoonbaeng
1-Sep-2021, 21:06
I attached a picture. There is slight damage to the lensboard.

When I put this lens board on the camera, I feel like it's too tight because the lens board is thick.

yoonbaeng
1-Sep-2021, 21:14
Thank you for your reply.

I bought it from an American seller on eBay, and the seller told me it was the original board.

As your advice, I agree with your opinion, this lens board is made of wood, so I also think it undergoes contraction and expansion over time. Therefore, I am considering buying a board sold by S.K. Grimes or a board made of aluminum.

Thank you.

yoonbaeng
1-Sep-2021, 21:36
Thank you for your reply.

I bought it from an American seller on eBay, and the seller told me it was the original Deardorff board.

As your advice, I agree with your opinion. The lens board is made of wood, so it undergoes contraction and expansion over time. Therefore, I am considering buying a lens board sold by S.K. Grimes a board made of aluminum.