PDA

View Full Version : Can you add Cambo SC rails together, to get more extension?

wallpaperviking
26-Aug-2021, 07:48
Hi,
Just wondering if I can add two Cambo rails together to get a longer rail? Or is it a matter of buying them separately for the length you are after? I have one that is about 30cm at the moment but am looking to get to about 60cms

Thanks! :)

Oslolens
26-Aug-2021, 07:51
Used two rail holders on a thick plate in order to pack shorter. Too much length and you will need a rail stability Manfrotto long lens support.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Dan Fromm
26-Aug-2021, 08:46
Oslolens' suggestion is the usual and Cambo makes brackets (C-278 monorail connector) to do just that.

But there's a potentially less expensive way to get a 60 cm rail. 1" x 1" 80/20 brand t-slotted aluminum extrusion works very well with Cambo SC tripod mounting blocks and is available very inexpensively, in lengths up to 96", from 80/20 surplus sales. They sell on amazon.com.

ericantonio
26-Aug-2021, 09:31
I'm with Dan, I've bought 1x alu squares from the big box stores and worked fine. (when I used to have a Combo)

wallpaperviking
26-Aug-2021, 21:43
Oslolens' suggestion is the usual and Cambo makes brackets (C-278 monorail connector) to do just that.

But there's a potentially less expensive way to get a 60 cm rail. 1" x 1" 80/20 brand t-slotted aluminum extrusion works very well with Cambo SC tripod mounting blocks and is available very inexpensively, in lengths up to 96", from 80/20 surplus sales. They sell on amazon.com.

Amazing! Thanks so much for the response, greatly appreciated!

This is for a bit of a DIY camera project and am wondering if there is an attachment to this, that could somehow have an Arca Swiss style plate attached to it? I need to be able to place a digital camera on it (with L-Bracket attached). I could use the Cambo attachment that connects to the tripod but that seems way too precarious.

Would something like this work? Is it the right size?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-V-Channel-Wheel-Kit-3D-Roller-Device-Aluminum-Profile-Extrusion-Accessory-/133159167826

Thanks again! :)

Dan Fromm
27-Aug-2021, 05:52
Would something like this work? Is it the right size?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-V-Channel-Wheel-Kit-3D-Roller-Device-Aluminum-Profile-Extrusion-Accessory-/133159167826

I have no idea whether it will do what you want, but then, I don't quite understand what you want to accomplish. If you want to use a Cambo SC to add extension to a digicam, why not hang the digicam on the back of the Cambo?

wallpaperviking
29-Aug-2021, 18:02

Hi,
Just to confirm that the section that you are talking about is actually 1 inch by 1 inch (2.54cms x 2.54cms)? I see a lot of pieces that come in the measurements of 20mm x 20mm but this is probably too small for the original Cambo rail to fit on right?

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Dan Fromm
30-Aug-2021, 07:24
Hi,
Just to confirm that the section that you are talking about is actually 1 inch by 1 inch (2.54cms x 2.54cms)? I see a lot of pieces that come in the measurements of 20mm x 20mm but this is probably too small for the original Cambo rail to fit on right?

I'll say it again. 80/20 brand size 1010. https://www.amazon.com/80-20-Inc-T-Slotted-Extrusion/dp/B001F0F10I/ref=dp_fod_1?pd_rd_i=B001F0F10I&psc=1

wallpaperviking
30-Aug-2021, 07:27
I'll say it again. 80/20 brand size 1010. https://www.amazon.com/80-20-Inc-T-Slotted-Extrusion/dp/B001F0F10I/ref=dp_fod_1?pd_rd_i=B001F0F10I&psc=1

Good One... :)

wallpaperviking
12-Sep-2021, 22:30
So I just received my 80/20 rail and tried to put my Cambo SC rails on it but absolutely no joy :(

I did a close inspection of the original rail and the top surface is smooth whereas the one I received has slight indents running through...

I rang 80/20 Australia and he said that they have two types of rail but the "smooth" one is only distributed in the U.S...

Do you imagine that is enough for the Cambo standard to be able to go on but then not be able to be moved freely? At closer inspection, the original Cambo rail does not look 100% square whilst the 80/20 rail looks exactly square... Could this be it?

Thanks!

Just thought I would update, in case anybody was looking to do the same...219598

wallpaperviking
12-Sep-2021, 22:31
The black one is the original, the silver the one from 80/20...

wallpaperviking
12-Sep-2021, 22:34

Dan Fromm
13-Sep-2021, 06:19

That's nice. Does it work for you? Mine do, and that's why I recommended 80/20 1010 stock.

ericantonio
13-Sep-2021, 08:14
I'm confused cause I think the threading is weird. So the silvery colored one is the NEW one you got? Are you all good to go now?

wallpaperviking
13-Sep-2021, 17:39
That's nice. Does it work for you? Mine do, and that's why I recommended 80/20 1010 stock.

Unfortunately, it does not work for me.. I followed your advice Dan and went ahead and ordered it. I can manage to cram the Cambo front standard onto it but cannot move it once on. I have since realised that 80/20 stocks two types of 1" x 1" rail, a normal and a smooth version.

https://8020.net/1010.html

https://8020.net/1010-s.html

I ordered the normal from 80/20 Australia and as mentioned, it does not fit so that the Cambo front rail is able to slide along it.

Dan, do you remember by any chance if yours was a "smooth" version? It is the only thing I can think of that might be the difference between it working and not.

80/20 Australia does not stock the "smooth" version and say it would take 4-6 weeks for them to get me one from the U.S. Would be quicker to have it sent from 80/20 U.S to a friend in Atlanta and have her send it over to me.

Thanks, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

* The silver version is the new version ordered from 80/20 Australia and the black version is the original Cambo that has a "smooth" finish on top.

Dan Fromm
13-Sep-2021, 18:59
Interesting. I just took out a Cambo SC-1 standard, mounted it on a 4' section of 1" x 1" 80/20 t-slotted extrusion that looks just like yours. The standard moves as it should when I turn its focusing knob. A Cambo SC-2 standard also works on that rail.

You're doing something wrong. Turn your standard upside down. There's a screw in a shiny collar on the bottom of the rail rider. It adjust the position of the rollers in the lower half of the roll rider. Back the screw off a little and try again.

ericantonio
13-Sep-2021, 22:22
Unfortunately, it does not work for me.. I followed your advice Dan and went ahead and ordered it. I can manage to cram the Cambo front standard onto it but cannot move it once on. I have since realised that 80/20 stocks two types of 1" x 1" rail, a normal and a smooth version.

https://8020.net/1010.html

https://8020.net/1010-s.html

I ordered the normal from 80/20 Australia and as mentioned, it does not fit so that the Cambo front rail is able to slide along it.

Dan, do you remember by any chance if yours was a "smooth" version? It is the only thing I can think of that might be the difference between it working and not.

80/20 Australia does not stock the "smooth" version and say it would take 4-6 weeks for them to get me one from the U.S. Would be quicker to have it sent from 80/20 U.S to a friend in Atlanta and have her send it over to me.

Thanks, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

* The silver version is the new version ordered from 80/20 Australia and the black version is the original Cambo that has a "smooth" finish on top.

Oh, now I understand. You live in Australia and ordered from a US company called 80/20. Do you have a "home improvement" type store in Australia? google says "Bunnings"? I got a plain vanilla 1x1" square piece of aluminum. Smooth sides. Basically a box shape if you look at the cross section. That worked for me what I had the SC. Would it be in metric? I just know 1 inch is 25.4mm.

wallpaperviking
13-Sep-2021, 22:54
Interesting. I just took out a Cambo SC-1 standard, mounted it on a 4' section of 1" x 1" 80/20 t-slotted extrusion that looks just like yours. The standard moves as it should when I turn its focusing knob. A Cambo SC-2 standard also works on that rail.

You're doing something wrong. Turn your standard upside down. There's a screw in a shiny collar on the bottom of the rail rider. It adjust the position of the rollers in the lower half of the roll rider. Back the screw off a little and try again.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your response and perseverance! Much appreciated!

Hmmm, not really sure what the issue is. I have tried loosening that screw that you are talking about but with absolutely no luck. I am not having any luck attaching a photo for some reason but you mean the small flathead screw at the very bottom of the standard right? I have even loosened the screw on the sides of that section and it still does not want to turn.

You are not talking about the "allen key" bolt underneath the swing mechanism?

So your 80/20 is not the "smooth" version hey? That is the only difference I can see between the original black Cambo rail and the silver 80/20 I have ordered....

Am not sure where to go from here. Thanks again for the help, is greatly appreciated! :)

wallpaperviking
13-Sep-2021, 23:12
Oh, now I understand. You live in Australia and ordered from a US company called 80/20. Do you have a "home improvement" type store in Australia? google says "Bunnings"? I got a plain vanilla 1x1" square piece of aluminum. Smooth sides. Basically a box shape if you look at the cross section. That worked for me what I had the SC. Would it be in metric? I just know 1 inch is 25.4mm.

Hi ericantonio,
Yes, that is the issue unfortunately.... It is the same company just the division based in Australia. I even used the reference number off the US website, to then place an order with the same company here.

So yes, I thought the same and have ordered a small section from Bunnings..

https://www.bunnings.com.au/connect-it-25-4-x-25-4-x-1-2mm-0-45m-anodised-aluminium-square-tube_p1138262

Still in lockdown here, so have ordered it and have to wait for it to be picked and then pickup..

We shall see, hopefully the "smooth" surface is enough to get the rails sliding...

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated!

Dan Fromm
14-Sep-2021, 10:17
wpv, I really hesitate to ask because I don't want to insult you, but I see that you got your standard on a piece of 80/20 1010 extrusion. So your problem must be that turning the rail rider's "focus" knob doesn't move the standard. Does it work properly on your Cambo rail? Are you mistakenly turning the "lock" knob?

ericantonio
14-Sep-2021, 10:44
wpv, I really hesitate to ask because I don't want to insult you, but I see that you got your standard on a piece of 80/20 1010 extrusion. So your problem must be that turning the rail rider's "focus" knob doesn't move the standard. Does it work properly on your Cambo rail? Are you mistakenly turning the "lock" knob?

I don't have a Cambo SC anymore and I can't tell you how many times I've done this myself! I have a million "duh!" moments with camera equipment.

wallpaperviking
14-Sep-2021, 17:26

Hi Dan, no chance of insulting me and I appreciate the help.... :)

Unfortunately, that is not the problem. The front standard moves fine on the original Cambo rail, with the focus knob ;)

Ha Ha! I wish that was the issue!

Also, I can just cram it onto the 80/20 extrusion rail. It is tight! Once on, the focus rail does nothing...

Am off to pick up a small section of "smooth" 1" x 1" from a hardware supply store and see if I have any luck with that. At least I can return it if it does not work.

Thanks again!

wallpaperviking
14-Sep-2021, 20:13
So have just returned from the hardware store with a generic 1" x 1" x 1.2mm aluminium "smooth" extrusion and this does not fit either. This actually visually looks bigger and I cannot even get the Cambo front standard to fit into it.

So, yup, am at a bit of a loss to be honest.

Visually, the 80/20 looks just slightly bigger and the generic one from the hardware store looks quite a bit bigger.

Dan, your 80/20 rail is definitely not the "smooth" version? Once again, that is all I can think of at this stage.

wallpaperviking
14-Sep-2021, 20:19
Photo of the rails219651

ericantonio
14-Sep-2021, 20:39
I am totally STUMPED! What's the slang for that where you are?

wallpaperviking
14-Sep-2021, 21:15
I am totally STUMPED! What's the slang for that where you are?

Ha Ha!! I don't know what the Aussie slang is for this particular situation! ;)

My version is, "it has got me totally fu*#ed"! At least, that is how I am feeling about this whole rail scenario...

There is no chance that both you and Dan could be talking about the smaller 20mm x 20mm rail right?

https://www.makerstore.com.au/product/black-v-slot-20-x-20mm/

That is going to be too skinny I assume?

So seeing as I am not having any luck with this setup, how do you go about joining dedicated Cambo rails for longer extension? Any idea?

Dan Fromm
15-Sep-2021, 06:03
I just measured. Mitutoyo dial caliper calibrated in inches. 1x1, possibly a hair smaller. Did the same with no-name dial caliper in mm. 25.35 or so x 25.40 or so.

You can see such a rail in use in http://www.galerie-photo.com/baby-bertha-6x9-en.html. I think that's the one I just measured.

Oslolens
15-Sep-2021, 09:59
We can see the 8020 rail is bigger. As this is aluminium you should be able to file it down enough to work in an hour or two. Equally many strokes on each side, undamaged file and some good music

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Tin Can
15-Sep-2021, 10:37
Australia has Metric '25' and 1" almost same same but not

https://catalogs.8020.net/80-20-Inc-University-Booklet/4/

ericantonio
15-Sep-2021, 11:08
Ha Ha!! I don't know what the Aussie slang is for this particular situation! ;)

My version is, "it has got me totally fu*#ed"! At least, that is how I am feeling about this whole rail scenario...

There is no chance that both you and Dan could be talking about the smaller 20mm x 20mm rail right?

https://www.makerstore.com.au/product/black-v-slot-20-x-20mm/

That is going to be too skinny I assume?

So seeing as I am not having any luck with this setup, how do you go about joining dedicated Cambo rails for longer extension? Any idea?

I definitely had the Cambo SC at one time, and I remember getting the 1" square tubing at the home goods store. I used my 300mm ektar on it. Maybe just for fun, can you take a photo of the "inside" of the piece that has the round knobs? Maybe it is slightly bent? I don't know now, now I'm just blowing out of my a** and looking for any more clues.

1" is usually 25.4, I'm a cyclist so old bikes are 1" tubes and handlebars and they are always 25.4 measurement when you buy things like stems.

Maybe, maybe...maybe, that is NOT a Cambo SC rail you have (original) but something else, and the previous owner used it enough times to make the clamp portion slightly smaller? So the real size you put it on, it doesn't fit anymore? Maybe it's not the rails, but the piece that the rails goes into?

wallpaperviking
15-Sep-2021, 17:15
I definitely had the Cambo SC at one time, and I remember getting the 1" square tubing at the home goods store. I used my 300mm ektar on it. Maybe just for fun, can you take a photo of the "inside" of the piece that has the round knobs? Maybe it is slightly bent? I don't know now, now I'm just blowing out of my a** and looking for any more clues.

1" is usually 25.4, I'm a cyclist so old bikes are 1" tubes and handlebars and they are always 25.4 measurement when you buy things like stems.

Maybe, maybe...maybe, that is NOT a Cambo SC rail you have (original) but something else, and the previous owner used it enough times to make the clamp portion slightly smaller? So the real size you put it on, it doesn't fit anymore? Maybe it's not the rails, but the piece that the rails goes into?

Hey ericantonio,
Thanks, appreciate the reply! Yup, it is indeed a strange one! I rang the guys from 80/20 Australia and they are going to send me out a 25mm rail. Could possibly be too small but once I try it, I think I will be done with this either way :)

Will keep you updated....

wallpaperviking
16-Sep-2021, 20:29
So, have finally found some success with this issue! Big thanks to everyone who contributed, much appreciated!

So I ended up trying a 25mm x 25mm rail and this ended up working... :)

The original rail was 1" x 1" (25.4mm x 25.4mm). I also had to loosen a few of the screws, that jutted out in the section where the rail goes.. The new rail also had a "smoother" surface, where the rollers make contact with it...

So in the end, I am not sure if it was one thing over another but the main difference was just having a (ever so slightly) smaller rail to begin with.. Am not sure where the difference comes from with the other forum members who have had success with the 25.4mm one but for me, this was just not working! Weird!

So a very frustrating experience but got there in the end!

ericantonio
17-Sep-2021, 08:55
So, have finally found some success with this issue! Big thanks to everyone who contributed, much appreciated!

So I ended up trying a 25mm x 25mm rail and this ended up working... :)

The original rail was 1" x 1" (25.4mm x 25.4mm). I also had to loosen a few of the screws, that jutted out in the section where the rail goes.. The new rail also had a "smoother" surface, where the rollers make contact with it...

So in the end, I am not sure if it was one thing over another but the main difference was just having a (ever so slightly) smaller rail to begin with.. Am not sure where the difference comes from with the other forum members who have had success with the 25.4mm one but for me, this was just not working! Weird!

So a very frustrating experience but got there in the end!

SO AWESOME MAN!!!! Enjoy it now.

wallpaperviking
17-Sep-2021, 17:50
SO AWESOME MAN!!!! Enjoy it now.

Thanks! We got there..... :)

Gingikinz
29-Sep-2021, 18:35
Hey y'all, I know this is a bit late, but you guys helped me out too! I was able to go to a local hardware store and get a 1x1" aluminum rod and cut it down to a more portable size (9" length). It fits the Cambo SC perfectly and makes it much more portable, especially with fall leaves upon us. Thank you for a timely post!

stiganas
30-Jan-2022, 09:30
I just wanted to add a short rail and reading this tread I give it a try. Bought a super cheap AL profile 25x25x1.5mm (the only one available here) from a hardware store (from the shelf) and I can confirm that it is perfect. I don't think it is undersize, look like the exact size - smooth sliding, good locking. Of course the rail is really long but it is so cheap (i think less than 10 EUR) that you can cut and mix and experiment all day long. Still amazed how nice is the classic Cambo.