PDA

View Full Version : How to mount a lens to a lensboard?

Dai Sieh
18-Mar-1998, 21:01
I am starting out in LF. I have a Rodenstock lens and metal lensboard. A Toyo l ens wrench is on it's way to me. I am trying to figure out how to put the lens o nto the lensboard. I saw a mounting ring (nut) riding on the threads behind the copal shutter. The core of my question is that, since the rear of the lens is larger than the hole on the lensboard, then how do I put the the lens through the hole? Do I need t o unscrew the rear part of the lens?

Since I don't have the courage to experiment on this expensive lens. I would lik e to get some hints here. Thanks a lot in advance.

Sean Donnelly
19-Mar-1998, 00:37
The lens assembly consists of a front lens component screwed into the front of t he shutter, and a rear lens component screwed into the rear of the shutter. Jus t grasp the outside of the rear barrel and unscrew it, unthread the spanner nut from the shutter, slip the rear end of the shutter into the hole in the lensboar d, tighten the nut against the lensboard with the wrench, and screw in the rear lens component. It is not necessary to tighten the latter more than hand tight.

Enjoy!

Rob "John Henry" Rothman
19-Mar-1998, 09:40
I would add only two things to the above description. First, be VERY careful wh en unscrewing and replacing the rear lens element--the threads are extremely fin e and can easily be damaged. Second, you might want to consider having a profe ssional camera repairman do the job for you. While its not really difficult, th e possibility of damaging the threads or (even worse) the internal glass surface s has always made me nervous about doing this myself.

Tony Brent
8-Sep-1998, 02:27
If you do not have a lens board that has been machined to fit your lens you will either have to do the work yourself or try to find a friend with a small machin e shop to help you.

If you are using a metal lensboard, you want the hole enlarged until it is just big enough to fit the mounting threads (the ones that the retaining ring screws on to) Then remove the retaining ring, insert the back of the lens into the hole , line it up so that it looks straight from the front, and thread on and tighten the ring.

If you have a wood lens board you may have a different type of mounting ring wit h some screw holes around the edge. Here you want to machine the hole so that it just fits the raised locating ridge on the back of the flange. Secure the flang e to the board with the proper size wood screws, and thread in the lens.