PDA

View Full Version : shutters compatible with 7" Dagor?

armentor1@mac.com
17-Aug-2021, 09:45
well, I drank the juice and picked up a 7" dagor. Is there any chance of getting this into a shutter other than the original compur?

I do lots of low light work so is not a huge deal to use it at T however, would love to take full advantage of this lens.

thanks all
Dave

Luis-F-S
17-Aug-2021, 10:04
Dave SKG can mount it in a Copal but it may take a machined adapter which will cost.

David Lindquist
17-Aug-2021, 10:45
well, I drank the juice and picked up a 7" dagor. Is there any chance of getting this into a shutter other than the original compur?

I do lots of low light work so is not a huge deal to use it at T however, would love to take full advantage of this lens.

thanks all
Dave

If I understand you correctly, you are saying this is currently in a Compur shutter. Is that right? If so, is it a No. 1 Synchro Compur (rim-set)? In that case it could be a direct fir in to a No. 1 Copal. I say "could" because the 8 1/4 inch (post war) Dagors and 8 1/4 inch Red Dot Artars that I've seen fitted to the No. 1 Compur have had the rear of the shutter modified to take the larger diameter (larger than the standard for a No. 1 Compur/Copal) thread on the rear cell. Don't know if they may have also done this with the 7 inch Dagor.

David

armentor1@mac.com
17-Aug-2021, 11:40
here is the shutter
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xegc0fsmwvtzfec/IMG_8606.jpg?dl=0

armentor1@mac.com
17-Aug-2021, 11:41
David, I was reading this, I'll give them a call

David Lindquist
17-Aug-2021, 12:12
here is the shutter
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xegc0fsmwvtzfec/IMG_8606.jpg?dl=0

Safe to say that would not be a direct fit in to a Copal or "modern", i.e. post-WWII Compur.

Looks like a Compound except the cable release socket and shutter speed dial look a little off. Anyone: were there other shutter makes back in the day that used a pneumatic cylinder like the Compound?

David

Jody_S
17-Aug-2021, 12:54
That's a fine shutter, still working after 100 years and will probably still be working for another 100 with minor maintenance. If there's nothing wrong with it, you don't gain much by putting it in a slightly more modern shutter. You would gain some consistency in the 1s - 1/5s range if you moved to a mechanical clockwork shutter instead of the pneumatics in this one. If that's your usual range and you need that reliability, it is possibly a direct fit into a pre-WWII rim-set Compur. Take the necessary measurements (dia of front and rear elements, and spacing, ie thickness of shutter), and start looking.

abruzzi
17-Aug-2021, 12:57
is that a transplanted shutter? the aperture scale doesn't look like any of the old systems in use before the modern ƒ-number scale. it looks like the modern scale but for a 2.8 lens.

EDIT: also, yeah, I agree with Jody. I was really surprised when a bargain bin 110-120 year old compound with a 168mm Dagor I tested this weekend seemed to expose provia accurately. Or maybe I got lucky.

EDIT2: whoops, I posted too quick--thats the US system, I didn't look close enough.

http://throughavintagelens.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/diaphragmnumbers.gif

David Lindquist
17-Aug-2021, 14:55
Ah, now I see the shutter is labeled "Compound". That logo (if that's what it is) on the speed dial; it looks sort of like a paper clip, looks familiar but I can't place where I've seen it.

David

neil poulsen
17-Aug-2021, 15:54
I had a 7" factory coated Dagor I wish I hadn't sold. It was mounted in a Wollensak Rapax shutter. Not sure what size, though. But, the size shouldn't be too difficult to determine.

Luis-F-S
17-Aug-2021, 17:00
Have a 6” Golden Dagor mounted by Steve Grimes before he left the planet. Sent him the loose cells and a Copal 0 and he did the rest. A really fine mounting job.

David Lindquist
17-Aug-2021, 17:11
I don't know when C.P. Goerz American Opt. Co. discontinued the 7 inch Dagor. It is shown in their 1951 catalogue; it was available in a No. 3 Rapax or a No. 2 Acme. It is not in their 1959 catalogue. (Catalogues respectively on Cameraeccentric and Pacific Rim Cameras websites.)

The 1951 catalogue explicitly states that their lenses are coated.
David

David Lindquist
17-Aug-2021, 17:19
Have a 6” Golden Dagor mounted by Steve Grimes before he left the planet. Sent him the loose cells and a Copal 0 and he did the rest. A really fine mounting job.

Interesting. Given that he had the loose cells do you have any idea how he determined the correct separation?

David

Steven Tribe
18-Aug-2021, 00:39
Ah, now I see the shutter is labeled "Compound". That logo (if that's what it is) on the speed dial; it looks sort of like a paper clip, looks familiar but I can't place where I've seen it.

David

C.P.Goerz.

In the good old days, there was a lot of joint production of shutters for camera makers and lens makers. Things became a little tense with the disappearing market of the 1920’s!

Tin Can
18-Aug-2021, 02:29
Optical Bench

Interesting. Given that he had the loose cells do you have any idea how he determined the correct separation?

David

Tin Can
18-Aug-2021, 05:02
Complete Optical Bench and Attachment Set with 20 Lab Activities

https://www.hbarsci.com/products/ph0653?currency=USD&variant=363981359&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&cmp_id=1997057436&adg_id=76769829288&kwd=&device=c&gclid=CjwKCAjw3_KIBhA2EiwAaAAliqMN84OtfL7HEqWDabHI_ut8WTFo0iHhWrUiaWnEEjB8f91Vi04CERoCQNUQAvD_BwE

Yes it is a cheap set, but you can learn basics

The usual suspects will object loudly

armentor1@mac.com
18-Aug-2021, 07:22
Thanks all, will try to make this one work with some maintenance

David Lindquist
18-Aug-2021, 09:10
C.P.Goerz.

In the good old days, there was a lot of joint production of shutters for camera makers and lens makers. Things became a little tense with the disappearing market of the 1920’s!

Thank you, that's where I would have seen it.

David

David Lindquist
18-Aug-2021, 09:11
Complete Optical Bench and Attachment Set with 20 Lab Activities

https://www.hbarsci.com/products/ph0653?currency=USD&variant=363981359&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&cmp_id=1997057436&adg_id=76769829288&kwd=&device=c&gclid=CjwKCAjw3_KIBhA2EiwAaAAliqMN84OtfL7HEqWDabHI_ut8WTFo0iHhWrUiaWnEEjB8f91Vi04CERoCQNUQAvD_BwE

Yes it is a cheap set, but you can learn basics

The usual suspects will object loudly

Whoever could you mean? ;)

David

Luis-F-S
18-Aug-2021, 19:15

David
No idea but it works. I suspect he had an optical bench. L