PDA

View Full Version : Paper for both Kallitype and Platinum?

ericantonio
16-Aug-2021, 09:12
hi guys,

Anyone have some advice on this? Looking for paper that I can play around with using Kallitype process. Looking to be able to get my workflow down on Kallitype before doing PT/PD printing. Anyone use a paper that I can use for both?

I'm looking, for now, "affordable" paper, you know, something that won't break my meager bank account on Kallitype so priced well enough so I can experiment with 4x5 sheets before moving onto 8x10. If the prints turn out nice, I can use that same paper for PT/PD. I figure for the first year, I really need a budget paper before moving onto something nicer.

Jim Noel
16-Aug-2021, 12:16
If you can handle light weight paper which is easily torn when wet, look for stationery which is either 100% cotton, or 100% cotton rag, or 100% linen. I use this regularly and used it to teach students to handle paper gently.
Any paper you buy should be 100%cotton or linen, even the heavier ones meant for alt processes. 32lb cotton paper by Cranes is an excellent paper, and about 20% heavier than stationery. Also, it is designed to withstand wetness.
Also, I like unbuffered papers. There are bufferd papers on the market which work, but there are as many which don't.
I believe in minimal wet time which is a help in using these lightweight papers.
By the way, try Van Dyke Brown instead of Kallitype. Kallitype can be rather tricky.

bob carnie
16-Aug-2021, 12:35
I have seen both types of prints on Hahnemuhle Platinum Rag. works very well.

Erik Larsen
16-Aug-2021, 15:40
I have seen both types of prints on Hahnemuhle Platinum Rag. works very well.

I agree with Bob on this one. HPR seems to work with any alt process I’ve tried. Not exactly cheap but has been consistent for me.

Cor
18-Aug-2021, 06:04
I have easy access to Van Gelder's Simili Japon, an excellent paper for both processes (and many more). It does have a yellowish tint. In my hands/experience I find Kallitypes more attractive than Pt/Pd print. Pt/Pd prints are relative easy, Kallitypes are much more laborious, I tone (convert?) them with either gold or Platinum. Obviously Platnium printing is expensive, Platinum toning less so, you use much less metal and only tone an existing images.

good luck,

Cor

ericantonio
18-Aug-2021, 08:28
Kallitypes more attractive than Pt/Pd print. Pt/Pd prints are relative easy, Kallitypes are much more laborious,

I did not know this! I've done a small amount many years ago, then got busy with life

I tone (convert?) them with either gold or Platinum. Obviously Platnium printing is expensive, Platinum toning less so, you use much less metal and only tone an existing images.

This is good to know!
Thanks so much!

ericantonio
18-Aug-2021, 08:30
I agree with Bob on this one. HPR seems to work with any alt process I’ve tried. Not exactly cheap but has been consistent for me.

Thanks!!

I got some Arches Platine for now, it was the cheapest I can find for 10 sheets. Will try some with 4x5's so that's 20 sheets I can ruin. I probably will need another 10 sheets of 11x15 before I get proficient.

I will put Hahnnemuhle on my list of things to get later this year when I'm (In Joe Isuzu voice) become an expert....

Erik Larsen
18-Aug-2021, 09:57
Thanks!!

I got some Arches Platine for now, it was the cheapest I can find for 10 sheets. Will try some with 4x5's so that's 20 sheets I can ruin. I probably will need another 10 sheets of 11x15 before I get proficient.

I will put Hahnnemuhle on my list of things to get later this year when I'm (In Joe Isuzu voice) become an expert....

Platine can be a beautiful paper if you get a good batch. It has a reputation of being inconsistent from batch to batch which makes it iffy to commit to if you can’t trust it’ll work every time.

ericantonio
18-Aug-2021, 11:26
Platine can be a beautiful paper if you get a good batch. It has a reputation of being inconsistent from batch to batch which makes it iffy to commit to if you can’t trust it’ll work every time.

I will keep that in mind thank you!

bob carnie
19-Aug-2021, 08:52
I stopped using Arches Platine , I had terrible issues with bad paper, for awhile it was my go to paper.

ericantonio
19-Aug-2021, 19:39
I stopped using Arches Platine , I had terrible issues with bad paper, for awhile it was my go to paper.

What are you using now?

Scott Davis
20-Aug-2021, 06:59
Another vote for Hahnemuhle Platinum Rag. It's the best general-purpose printing paper out there for alt processes. I love some other papers for specialized use - I really like St. Armand Frobisher when I want a lighter-weight highly textured paper, but not everything works on that, and it's definitely not a paper to start learning the process on. There are a lot of papers that CAN work for the process, but you'd need to pre-acidify the paper, or do some other kinds of treatments to make them work. The best two choices for all-around are the HPR, or if you can't find it, Bergger COT320. Bergger is almost as good as Hahnemuhle, but Hahnemuhle has outstanding customer service in addition to being a first-rate paper. Bergger's attitude is very French- you have a problem? we don't care.

bob carnie
20-Aug-2021, 07:40
What are you using now?

Hahnemuhle Platinum Rag

CreationBear
20-Aug-2021, 07:53
Another vote for Hahnemuhle Platinum Rag.

A question: given you're literally (if not figuratively:)) in The Swamp, can I infer that HPR works pretty well in high relative humidity, or is your workspace climate-controlled enough to take that variable out of the equation? (My "dim room" here in Tennessee would challenge most portable dehumidifiers at least.)

ericantonio
20-Aug-2021, 08:04
A question: given you're literally (if not figuratively:)) in The Swamp, can I infer that HPR works pretty well in high relative humidity, or is your workspace climate-controlled enough to take that variable out of the equation? (My "dim room" here in Tennessee would challenge most portable dehumidifiers at least.)

Never thought of this but I remember I used to do a lot of calligraphy back in NYC when I was younger, and remembered on humid days, the ink would just go all over the place like some kind of Asian art...you know, what style where it is on purpose finds the veins in paper. I'm in socal dry weather these days, we only have to watch out for fires and stuff like that. Oh earthquakes too.

ericantonio
20-Aug-2021, 08:08
All this talk about printing and I'm really inspired by you guys. I'm now really interested in taking that PT/PD workshop set up by BS in New Mexico at end of September. $$$, but I think in the long run, better to spend that $$ and make mistakes in a controlled environment than me hit trial and error and testing this and that. I don't exactly have a darkroom anymore. Just equipment in boxes that I take out and take to the bathroom tub with me these days.

I do miss my Besseler 4x5 enlarger and Nova slot processors. I had a 16x20 one! But if feels good to downgrade and live simply with fewer things in life.

CreationBear
20-Aug-2021, 08:14
Oh earthquakes too.

:)

Definitely grateful for your threads here--you're a bit further down the road than I am, but I'm beginning to suspect the Sandy King's and Wolfgang Moersch's of the world make this whole kallitype thing look easier than it is.;)

Scott Davis
20-Aug-2021, 11:44

I have decent central air and I run a dehumidifier in my basement where my darkroom is. I can keep the humidity in my work space to around 50%. I have to run a humidifier in the winter though.

CreationBear
20-Aug-2021, 12:38
I have decent central air and I run a dehumidifier in my basement where my darkroom is. I can keep the humidity in my work space to around 50%. I have to run a humidifier in the winter though.

Excellent, that's very helpful--IIRC Sandy King is standardized for 60% RH, so I'm getting a feel for a ballpark figure, though I might just have to keep a weather-eye on the hygrometer and make hay when the sun shines.

sanking
20-Aug-2021, 12:59
:)

Definitely grateful for your threads here--you're a bit further down the road than I am, but I'm beginning to suspect the Sandy King's and Wolfgang Moersch's of the world make this whole kallitype thing look easier than it is.;)

You may be right about that. I made some beautiful prints with large in-camera negatives with pt/pd toned kallitypes, but with some papers could not avoid a slight veiling of the pape outside of the image area. But I never intended to deliberately make kallitype sound easy so my apologies if that seems to be the case!

When I began working primarily with digital negatives I switched to vandyke since the contrast control available with kalliype with ferric oxalate is not necessary with vandyke as digital work makes it easier to set the contrast with a curve on the image file, and overall I find vandyke with FAC to be much easier to work. And I must say that gold-toned vandykes, when toning is to completion, is one of the most appealing processes out there as the deep bluish back color is to die for.

I agree with others about Hahnemuhle Platinum Rag, beautiful paper for kallitype or pt/pd.

Sandy

CreationBear
20-Aug-2021, 14:07
And I must say that gold-toned vandykes, when toning is to completion, is one of the most appealing processes out there as the deep bluish back color is to die for.

Ha, Ariosto makes it look too easy as well, but I know he can't help himself.;) Otherwise, I'll have to look into the toned VDB approach--in truth my aesthetic valorizes D-max more than the mid-tone spread of classic Pt/Pd printing...I'll have to see how it translates to the Southern Appalachia's.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
20-Aug-2021, 16:10
I have been very pleased with Legion's Revere Platinum with both VDB and Kallitype. Less expensive than most of the other options. I don't do PT/PD, so can't speak to that.