PDA

View Full Version : EPSON 4990 epson scan thumbnail preview problem?

Eugene Yang
17-Feb-2006, 11:20
I just got EPSON 4990 Pro to replace my old scanner. Using Epson Scan for 6x6 and 4x5 slides, somehow I could not be able to use the thumbnail preview but got a error message " not enough vailable memory". My system is P4, 33.0 GHz, 1.5GB RAM, 3GB virtual RAM, and 1TB HD space, even I used 96dpi resolution still got the same error. This never happened when I scan a batch of 35mm mounted slides even with 4800 dpi, the thumbnail preview just worked fine. I came across a post from a forum that mentioned the same problem for larger size film than 35mm. Is there anyone has same problem or a solution to work around? Thanks.

Emre Yildirim
17-Feb-2006, 11:24
I used to get this error long time ago. I just reinstalled the scanner software and it fixed it.

So maybe try uninstalling Epson Scan and reinstalling it.

Ron Marshall
17-Feb-2006, 11:29
I had that problem once. I restarted the computer and it dissapeared, and has never come back.

Brian Vuillemenot
17-Feb-2006, 13:14
I had the same problem when I first got that scanner. After spending over an hour on the phone with the Epson customer service representative, we concluded that it was due to a software glitch. I just use the preview scan, and then use the marque tool to select the slide I want to scan in on, and it works fine. I never tried re-installing the software, so perhaps I'll give that a shot.

Jim Jirka
17-Feb-2006, 13:52
I have this problem using the Epson Scan software and 4870 scanner.
This error is given to me whenever, while using the epson scan software through Photoshop while changing between transparency and negative medium type. I have found that when I change the medium, running the software as a standalone program, then running it through PS it works. I would say it is a software glitch, and I found if I do it this way I can continue to work, instead of shutting everything down and starting over.