PDA

View Full Version : 65mm lens on Chamonix 45F-2? Recommended bellows?

Schuster_Shots
11-Aug-2021, 17:17
Hello!

I just ordered a Chamonix 45F-2. I'm very very very excited.

I plan to use it almost exclusively for shooting 6x9 on 120 roll film. I'm naturally drawn to wide lenses so I'm thinking that I'll grab a Nikkor SW 65mm f/4 as my first lens. Does anyone have any extensive experience with a lens this short on the Chamonix? I know that the bellows will be almost entirely compressed, but can a fair amount of front standard movement still be applied? I pretty much only shoot landscapes so I don't need a lot. I would install bag bellows but that sort of kills the camera's portability, not to mention that I plan on getting some pretty long lenses eventually. Is there a bag bellows that can be installed while still allowing the camera to fold and use a 240mm or longer lens? That would be the dream option. I'm open to ideas!

Thank you!

Alan Klein
11-Aug-2021, 19:28
Contact Chamonix? Check with hugo zhang <hugoz_2000@yahoo.com>

SergeyT
11-Aug-2021, 19:57
I used a 90mm for many years. On a flat board it does not allow much of vertical movements (rise/fall). Other movements are ok for landscape work.
You will likely need to mount that 65mm on a recessed board. The deeper the recession the better.

otto.f
11-Aug-2021, 23:33
I doubt whether this makes you happy, in the process of making the phote I mean. The 75 on a 4x5 is already a lot of fidgeting, I found it aggravating on my Technika back then. On my Chamonix F2 I decided to stay happy and not to go wider than 90. The paradox is that the wider you go, the more movements you want to correct overdone perspective lines. Bag bellows are indispensable for that I think, but what’s the problem to change the bellows on location? Extra bellows aren’t that much to carry?

Schuster_Shots
11-Aug-2021, 23:54
...what’s the problem to change the bellows on location? Extra bellows aren’t that much to carry?

I hadn't even considered that I guess I just assumed that'd be kind of difficult to do in the field? Maybe it's not?

Besom
12-Aug-2021, 04:03
I have the combo you are looking at but only shoot 5 x 4. The quality of the Nikkor is in my opinion disappointing compared to a Schneider 65mm f8 which I also use. My lenses are mounted on flat boards. I dont have a bag bellows because on 5 x 4 lens coverage allows minimal movement before fringing is a problem. Depending on the aperture you shoot at you may see light loss at the edges and significant deterioration in image quality, particularly with the Nikkor. Using 6 x 9 you will obviously get a bit more latitude, bag bellows will be helpful but you then run into the possible downside of using the edges of a lenses coverage circle.

Dan Fromm
12-Aug-2021, 06:24
Hmm. If you're going to shoot 6x9, there are many lenses that might do for you. See https://1drv.ms/x/s!AggQfcczvHGNgYhYGeQuOzsBIyw8Og?e=uIWOnL

Bernice Loui
12-Aug-2021, 08:53
Why a lightweight 4x5 field folder if planning to use mostly 6x9 on 120 roll film? While this absolutely can and has been done lots, it is full of trade offs and far from ideal as a 4x5 field folder is designed for 4x5 sheet film with very specific limitations on what lenses can be used.

This view camera stuff is nothing like roll film cameras where camera brand choice comes with specific lenses that can be used with that specific camera brand's camera offering. View cameras are essentially a light tight box that is flexi in the center with one end for a lens and the other for a film holder or solid state imager.

IMO, the best 6x9 view camera would be Arca Swiss for a very long list of facts and real world image making needs.

That said, what kind of 6x9 roll film holder will be used with this lightweight field folder? Lenses shorter than 65mm will be an issue. Image circle of a modern 65mm wide angle lens is plenty for 6x9, challenge and difficulty becomes ability to apply camera movements. Even with a bag bellows, camera movements will limited due to the design of a lightweight field folder. To aid in this problem, recess lens board will be come a very real need. Using view camera lenses on a recessed lens board is not a lot of fun in many ways.

Take the time to read this previous discussion that included using 120 roll film backs on 4x5 view cameras.
https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?164634-Sinar-F2-Vs-Sinar-Norma-(4x5)

Bernice

Hello!

I just ordered a Chamonix 45F-2. I'm very very very excited.

I plan to use it almost exclusively for shooting 6x9 on 120 roll film. I'm naturally drawn to wide lenses so I'm thinking that I'll grab a Nikkor SW 65mm f/4 as my first lens. Does anyone have any extensive experience with a lens this short on the Chamonix? I know that the bellows will be almost entirely compressed, but can a fair amount of front standard movement still be applied? I pretty much only shoot landscapes so I don't need a lot. I would install bag bellows but that sort of kills the camera's portability, not to mention that I plan on getting some pretty long lenses eventually. Is there a bag bellows that can be installed while still allowing the camera to fold and use a 240mm or longer lens? That would be the dream option. I'm open to ideas!

Thank you!

Tin Can
12-Aug-2021, 09:07
The real problem for you is:

You have asked your question after you bought

aka hung by your own petard

CatSplat
12-Aug-2021, 11:53
65mm will infinity focus on my 45F2 with a flat board and universal bellows, but you will get almost no movements as the bellows are very compressed.

Schuster_Shots
12-Aug-2021, 12:37
Why a lightweight 4x5 field folder if planning to use mostly 6x9 on 120 roll film? While this absolutely can and has been done lots, it is full of trade offs and far from ideal as a 4x5 field folder is designed for 4x5 sheet film with very specific limitations on what lenses can be used.

This view camera stuff is nothing like roll film cameras where camera brand choice comes with specific lenses that can be used with that specific camera brand's camera offering. View cameras are essentially a light tight box that is flexi in the center with one end for a lens and the other for a film holder or solid state imager.

IMO, the best 6x9 view camera would be Arca Swiss for a very long list of facts and real world image making needs.

I'm picking a lightweight 4x5 field folder because I plan to hike and backpack with the kit regularly. Dedicated 6x9 view cameras are at best the same weight without the added option of occasionally shooting 4x5 and at worst are more than twice as heavy and multiple times more expensive.

Schuster_Shots
12-Aug-2021, 12:39
65mm will infinity focus on my 45F2 with a flat board and universal bellows, but you will get almost no movements as the bellows are very compressed.

Thank you! This is the info I was seeking. I think I'll start with a 75mm instead. That'll be wide enough for me and will make a better 4x5 option should I ever choose to graduate.

Schuster_Shots
12-Aug-2021, 12:42
That said, what kind of 6x9 roll film holder will be used with this lightweight field folder? Lenses shorter than 65mm will be an issue. Image circle of a modern 65mm wide angle lens is plenty for 6x9, challenge and difficulty becomes ability to apply camera movements. Even with a bag bellows, camera movements will limited due to the design of a lightweight field folder. To aid in this problem, recess lens board will be come a very real need. Using view camera lenses on a recessed lens board is not a lot of fun in many ways.

Take the time to read this previous discussion that included using 120 roll film backs on 4x5 view cameras.
https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?164634-Sinar-F2-Vs-Sinar-Norma-(4x5)

Bernice

I was planning on going with the Horseman type 451 roll film back. Seems pretty solid and affordable. Thank you for the resource!

otto.f
12-Aug-2021, 21:47
I hadn't even considered that I guess I just assumed that'd be kind of difficult to do in the field? Maybe it's not?

Not at all, not with my F2 at least

otto.f
12-Aug-2021, 21:58
Btw, I once had a dream to bring my F2 on a hike through Patagonia. At an insightful moment before leaving I became realistic and bought a Mamiya 7ii with the stunning 65mm. After the trip I sold it again. I discovered that 6x7 is a lot of film format to print on 50x60cm with great satisfaction.

Schuster_Shots
13-Aug-2021, 07:47
Btw, I once had a dream to bring my F2 on a hike through Patagonia. At an insightful moment before leaving I became realistic and bought a Mamiya 7ii with the stunning 65mm. After the trip I sold it again. I discovered that 6x7 is a lot of film format to print on 50x60cm with great satisfaction.

I would love a Mamiya 7ii but the bodies alone sell for $3k+ these days.

Bernice Loui
13-Aug-2021, 09:49
Consider a slide in roll film back like the Linhof Rapid Rollex, Sinar roll film back, Toyo. These are far easier to deal with and use than the HM type 451 graflok style roll film back. Camera image will be focused and set up on the ground glass regardless of using a film holder or graflok roll film back. Each and every time that ground glass frame is removed there is a very real risk of damage or breakage of the GG. Broken GG on any view camera will ruin a lot more than just that day.

Stay away from the bargain Calumet 120 roll film backs they are not good at all.

Bernice

I was planning on going with the Horseman type 451 roll film back. Seems pretty solid and affordable. Thank you for the resource!

Bernice Loui
13-Aug-2021, 09:53
Fujifilm GSW690 and GW690.

Bernice

I would love a Mamiya 7ii but the bodies alone sell for $3k+ these days.

Schuster_Shots
13-Aug-2021, 14:10
Fujifilm GSW690 and GW690.

Bernice

Not really interested in fixed-lens cameras.

Schuster_Shots
13-Aug-2021, 14:11
Consider a slide in roll film back like the Linhof Rapid Rollex, Sinar roll film back, Toyo. These are far easier to deal with and use than the HM type 451 graflok style roll film back. Camera image will be focused and set up on the ground glass regardless of using a film holder or graflok roll film back. Each and every time that ground glass frame is removed there is a very real risk of damage or breakage of the GG. Broken GG on any view camera will ruin a lot more than just that day.

Stay away from the bargain Calumet 120 roll film backs they are not good at all.

Bernice

Last time I checked, these were really in pricey. Would love to find a bargain though!

Bernice Loui
14-Aug-2021, 20:16
"Penny Wise, Pound Foolish."

Bernice

Last time I checked, these were really in pricey. Would love to find a bargain though!