PDA

View Full Version : From the garden, August 2021

paulbarden
8-Aug-2021, 14:12
New work made today: "Grandpa Ott" morning glories.
5x7 wet plate collodion negative, using Old Workhorse.
Intrepid 5x7 with the 6&3/8" Kodak Anastigmat lens.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51366298845_a54b6ef9d9_b.jpg

Ulophot
8-Aug-2021, 15:15
Lovely, Paul.

paulbarden
8-Aug-2021, 16:32
Lovely, Paul.

Thank you!

coolbreeze1983
8-Aug-2021, 20:46
Well done Paul,

Always impressed by your Wetplate work.

Would you like to expound on the positives and/or negatives of the Intrepid 5x7. Love the company and was interested in that model.

paulbarden
9-Aug-2021, 09:27
Well done Paul,

Always impressed by your Wetplate work.

Would you like to expound on the positives and/or negatives of the Intrepid 5x7. Love the company and was interested in that model.

Thanks, glad you like this piece.
About the Intrepid 5x7 camera: one thing I will say right off the top is that this is a far better camera than what they were making 2-3 years ago. I bought the first version of the 8x10 and it had numerous problems right out of the box, the biggest issue being that the teeth of the focusing rails didn't meet firmly and so halfway through the extension, they ground and skipped. Also, the magnets quickly pulled out of their sockets and tore off the felt seal. Also, I found the bungee cords were inadequate to hold the film holders well. They worked at the 4x5 size, but not so much for 8x10. (When I ordered mine, I was told my camera would be shipped with the new metal spring design, but it was not. Also, it was four months late in being delivered)

But the 5x7 is a much better camera! Its not perfect (after all, this is a budget camera, and so expectations must be set accordingly) but so far I think its really quite good for the price. My only significant complaint is that the bottom plate with the tripod mount holes is made such that a standard long tripod screw collides with the auger of the focus mechanism! This means I cannot use my big metal Manfrotto tripod, unless I add nearly 1/4" stack of washers to increase the gap between the tripod head and the camera bottom plate. Strange design decision to make, that. I don't understand why they wouldn't have engineered it to avoid that being an issue. I use a different (light weight) tripod instead, and that's been OK, but I wish I could use the heavier one.

Other issues? Well, as some have mentioned, there are only two large knobs (one on each side) that lock the rear standard in place, and it doesn't take a lot of force when inserting/removing a film holder to shift the rear standard from its position. The 8x10 camera has an arm that anchors the rear standard in place. I think this 5x7 design would have benefited from having one as well. But I'm careful how I insert and remove film holders and haven't had a problem with this particular aspect of the camera so far.

In every other respect, I think this is a fine choice for 5x7 cameras and I'm enjoying working with it. I've even been able to mount my Voigtlander Petzval on it (braced to avoid stressing the lock nuts on the standard, of course). In all, I'm pleased with the Intrepid 5x7 and I can see getting a lot of use out of it. As I am using it for Wet Plate Collodion work half the time, I recognize that exposure to silver nitrate is going to eventually compromise the camera, so I'm happy not to have to worry too much about it, since its not too expensive to replace.

coolbreeze1983
10-Aug-2021, 16:39
Paul,

Thank you for the update on the Intrepid 5x7. I have a 4x5 MK4 and the tripod mount is a bit frustrating. But like you say, minor inconvenience for such a inexpensive camera. Keep up the good work. I am hopefully purchasing a Bostich & Sullivan Wet Plate Collodian chemical kit in the upcoming months. Can’t wait to join the club.