PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss F line Metric 4x5"

Fermat
6-Aug-2021, 00:43
Hi All,
In the F line Metric 4x5 "there are various versions, in addition to the standard/basic one there two more called C and C Field.
For those who have used or know the standard/basic version can you give me some advice if that configuration is suitable for natural landscape photos or for Urban landscape? However always outdoor.
I would like to carry it in a backpack. Some long walks can be planned.
Thanks in advance.

r.e.
6-Aug-2021, 13:16
Hi Mario,

I use an Arca-Swiss camera and if you do a search you'll find a good number of threads about them on this forum. They are completely modular cameras, and I can configure mine for both 4x5 and 8x10.

They are wonderful cameras for outdoor use, including for rural and urban landscape, and I'd be very surprised if anyone would disagree with that.

There isn't enough information in your post to give useful advice on configuration. Your reference to the "C" version suggests that you are interested in a 300mm rail. On the "C" version, the rail folds in half to make the camera more compact. I have no experience with the "C" rail, so I hesitate to say much about it. I can tell you that I have a standard 300mm rail and that I have no problem carrying the camera around with it in place.

Many years ago, Arca-Swiss made a version of its camera called the Arca-Swiss Discovery. That camera had the 300mm standard rail. It was marketed specifically to young people enrolled in photography and fine art programs. I don't think that those students had any trouble transporting the camera, including in backpacks.

Hopefully the following will convey just how modular Arca-Swiss cameras are. My own camera started as a Discovery. I've just added a number of components to it over the years. I can use it as a 4x5 or 8x10 camera with a rail and bellows as short as 300mm and as long as 700mm. I also have a short bellows for wide angle lenses.

Fermat
6-Aug-2021, 13:36
Thanks for your comment.
What I am interested is in a configuration where the rail is at minimum length.
I am not sure but if I understood well from the pictures I see in the web you can use half part of the rail removing the rail at the base and the other second half and put this in the backpack disassembled. Sorry for my English and I hope you can understand.
If this is the case the Classic version can be the right one as well.
Interesting the fact you can transform in 8x10 as well.
Thanks
Mario

alan_b
6-Aug-2021, 13:48
I believe "Field" in Arca-Swiss speak means a 110mm (6x9) front standard with 4x5 rear, with a tapered bellows. (Instead of 141 or 171mm standards front & rear.) If you're going no larger than a 4x5 back, the 110mm front is fine. If you want to use 5x7 or 8x10 backs, it would mean limited front rise or adding on a riser block. (Maybe there aren't even 6x9–5x7/8x10 bellows?

"C" means folding rail as r.e. said. The other type is the telescoping, often two 150mm upper sections with a 300mm base, that can extend up to 450mm or so.

I have the telescoping type, and slide both standards onto one 150mm rail section, then store the rest of the rail elsewhere in the pack. This way, it's effectively as compact as the C folding rail, with the option to extend longer.

r.e.
6-Aug-2021, 14:11
Like Alan, I have a telescoping rail, although mine consists of two 250mm sections on a 500mm base. As he says, there's more than one way to get a 150mm rail for carrying purposes. The "C" collapsing rail is one of them. I'm sure that it works fine, but I've never used one.

As Alan says, your decision on your base camera has a bearing on how easy/expensive it is to use the camera for 5x7 or 8x10.

If it's possible, I would suggest that you go to an Arca-Swiss dealer and see how the system works for yourself. Indeed, Arca-Swiss is in Besançon, not particularly far from Milan. Might make for a nice drive, a good dinner with some Jura wine, an overnight stay and a new camera to pick up in the morning :)

Fermat
6-Aug-2021, 14:21
The point to have a system expandable till 8x10 is quite interesting. For sure in the future I would expand to a bigger format.
This choise is future proof.

In addition the way to have a 150mm rail with on top both standards is a good way to easily carry the system.

So at the end no big difference btw classic and C.
The field version at the end will have a specific application.

Not able to go to dealer in France and I cannot find one near Milan.

Inviato dal mio M2101K6G utilizzando Tapatalk

r.e.
6-Aug-2021, 18:04
Not able to go to dealer in France and I cannot find one near Milan.

You could give Arca-Swiss a call in Besançon and ask them to suggest a dealer. There's a reasonable chance that somebody at the office speaks Italian. If so, they could help with your questions. Arca-Swiss is owned by a family named Vogt. I've met two of them (very helpful people), but there may have been some generational change in the last few years, and I don't know which member of the family is in charge at this point.

biedron
6-Aug-2021, 22:13
I have 4x5 and 8x10 Arca Swiss cameras. Regarding the rail choice, folding or telescoping, there are a couple of considerations. In packing an Arca, both standards slide onto a single rail unit. That means the packed depth of the camera is a function of the smallest rail length. A 15cm rail from a telescoping unit will result in the smallest packed depth - when folded, the folding rail will be a little longer than 15cm (perhaps 16-17cm). Not a huge difference, but a consideration.

The folding rail system will be lighter than the telescoping, since the base into which the rail slides is much shorter. However, if you plan on using longer focal length lenses, and/or converting to 8x10, I would suggest the telescoping version. To extend the folding rail beyond 30cm, you need to purchase an extension rail of length 25cm, for a total of 55cm. For very long lenses you might need another 25cm extension, all held by the small base unit. It seems like that would not be nearly as sturdy a set up as the telescoping unit. As mentioned in another reply above, the telescoping unit that usually comes with the 4x5 size camera has 2 15cm rails that will extend to about 450mm. Replace one of those 15cm rails with a 30cm or 40cm rail and now you can extend out to around 60cm or 70cm if needed. For storage, you'd leave the camera on the 15cm section and leave the longer rail on the base unit. Arca also has longer (40cm and 50cm) telescoping units typically for the 8x10. But again, for the most compact packing, you will want at least one 15cm section (this is true for 8x10 too).

I don't think Arca makes an 8x10 bellows that goes down to the 110mm front standard of the "field" 4x5. So if you hope to convert between 4x5 and 8x10 with one camera, you pretty much have to go with the larger 141mm front standard on the 4x5 camera. Technically, you could go 8x10 to 141mm bellows, then 141 to 110 bellows (the size used for the field 4x5), but that would require an additional format frame and function carrier.

So as others have noted the Arca system is extremely adaptable. And if buying new, I think Arca will work with you to build the base system to your liking (say a 4x5 telescoping 30cm base with a 30cm rail and a 15cm rail instead of 2 15cm rails). If buying used, many of these parts are pretty rare. 8x10 conversion units don't appear all that often. Also be aware that Arca has changed format sizes over the years. For example, there was a time when the front frame on the 8x10 was 171mm and not the 141mm they use today. I purchased my cameras used, and have dedicated 4x5 and 8x10 cameras. The 4x5 has the newer 110mm front frames while the 8x10 has the older 171mm front frame.

Rod Klukas is the USA Arca representative, and he posts fairly frequently here. He may chime in at some point with suggestions and correct any errors in my descriptions...

Bob

mhayashi
6-Aug-2021, 22:47
If you want a system with arca, considering the future upgrade to 8x10,
I recommend you the 141mm standard F line classic 4x5 first, especially if you plan to use longer focal length lenses like 300mm to 360mm with 4x5.
Then upgrade to 8x10 F-line classic conversion kit.

Or for the lightest and most compact, misura 8x10.

In future, if you are going to 8x10 portrait by fast brass lenses, the older 171mm F line classic standard is better and cheaper used than the current 141mm standard. This is simply due to the large diameters of the fast long brass lenses.

I personally prefer the 171mm standard because of the merit above.

Be aware metric is a bit bulkier than classic.
Metric is self locking geared system, meaning it can handle modern lenses, but not old brass heavy lenses especially if you choose the front orbix micrometric or dynamic. The F classic has the manual locking system, which can handle the heavy brass lenses.

The 8x10 metric rear frame does not have rise, the 8x10 classic rear has rise with the manual lock.
Having used both metric and classic, I prefer the classic for weight advantage, more movements for 8x10, compactness and sturdiness to handle heavy lenses….

agregov
7-Aug-2021, 18:53
Lots of great responses in the thread. One note on front frame sizes for 4x5, landscape shooting should be fine with the 110 front standard with regard to rise/fall. For architectural shooting, a 141 would be a better option for bigger rise/fall movements if you ever want to do that in the future.

With regard to the conversion kits (5x7 & 8x10), they are expensive. You could likely get a dedicated 8x10 for the same money. Converting the camera, especially in the field is a nuisance IMO. I personally would focus on setting up your ideal 4x5 and wait on worrying about the larger formats until you’re ready to think about it. It’s a lot of effort to put together the perfect camera system from 45 to 810. And your needs may change in the future.

Fermat
7-Aug-2021, 22:59
Thanks a lot for the helpful and detailed advice and comments.
I am dealing for a pre-owned F-line Metric Classic in Europe and this is the chance I have now since I'm not planning to buy a new one.

More or less quite flexible configuration for transportability, landscape and architecture.

Inviato dal mio M2101K6G utilizzando Tapatalk

Emmanuel BIGLER
8-Aug-2021, 04:42
Hello from Besançon, France ! (http://kitclubbisontin.free.fr/EXPOKIT%202009/besancon-ort.jpg)

Some additional information regarding weights of 6x9cm and 4x5" Arca Swiss F-classic and F-metric cameras.

About weights:
Some information can be found here in the forum's archives about the 110-141 configuration
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?p=209862#post209862

Kerry Thalmann had posted (in 2004, hence just when the 141-line of products was introduced) a very detailed weight budget for Arca Swiss "171" monorail cameras.

In 2011 I had posted some information on weights here
https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?83102-Arca-Swiss-4x5-171-141-and-6x9-weight-size-and-movements-questions&p=804639&viewfull=1#post804639

I'm re-posting the information here with some updated details.

Selected weights for different parts

110 F-classic format frame including manual Orbix: 340 g

141 F-classic rear frame with 141-to-graflok plate, without ground glass: 330 g

F-metric 141 format frames are about the same weight as F-classic (F-metric frames are slightly lighter, since there is only one knob instead of 2!)

The 110-141 universal molded leather bellows (I use it with a 45mm apo grandagon on a recessed 110 board, maximum bellows draw about 270 mm): 200 g

I have no idea of the weight of the standard synthetic bellows 141-141, probably about the same weight as the 110-141 standard leather bellows i.e*; about 200 grams?

141 ground glass plus springback: 370 g
---

6x9 F-metric

Arca Swiss F-metric compact 6x9-6x9, 300 mm (12") folding rail, optional manuel Orbix® in front. Current model has undergone very little change since 2004.

Front "metric" format frame including 6x9 Orbix®: 340 g
Rear "metric" format frame: 281 g
(Additional weight of the 6x9 Orbix®: 60 g)
Standard 75-150 6x9-6x9 bellows, 110x110 frames: 95 g

6x9 ground glass & Fresnel lens: 150 g

300 mm (12") Folding Rail type II: 314 g
Connecting bracket to quick release clamp, 8.5 cm type II: 123 g

Functions carrier "metric" w. geared self-locking shift, front: 583 g
Functions carrier "metric" w. geared self-locking shift, rear: 603 g

Additional compendium rod holder: 27 g

Typical lens mounted on a 110 board ; 400-600 grams, heavier for telephotos of course.

Total weight of the 6x9 metric: about 2.5 kg / 5.5 pounds, slightly more than the misura w/o leather case but with base-plate. A 4x5" F-metric in 141 is only slightly heavier than a 6x9 f-metric.

Clearly, metric functions carriers add bout 100 grams each (200 g for 2x) w/respect to classic non-geared models.

Other Comments.

The 6x9 Orbix mechanisms adds only 60 g to the weight and virtually nothing to the height of the frame. Truly amazing. The 4"x5" model is probably bigger in size, I do not know, but not that much in weight.

The rear metric functions carrier has an additional overhanging platform to shorten the length between both standards.

The 8.5 cm connecting bracket @123 g represents 30% of the weight of the 30cm rail+bracket assembly. However new Arca Swiss clamping devices with dual dovetail width can directly attach the folding rail or an upper rail element without need of the intermediate 8.5cm bracket, which is in fact a short piece of the lower element of a telescopic rail.

A complete catalog of Arca Swiss products (in English), as of the 1990's, can be found here.
https://www.arca-swiss-magasin.com/contents/fr/arca.pdf

141 mm elements are not listed in this catalog, but the catalog helps understanding how the elements are combined to build a camera. There is no functionnal difference between 141 and 171 elements, except of course the size of lens boards and bellows attachment frames.
The 4x5" binocular reflex viewer did not change between 171 and 141 models, same device, same attachment system around the ground glass.

I'm using a 141 to 110 reduction adapter plate so that I can use small rollfilm backs in baby-graflok size (2x3" - 6x9cm) e.g. Horseman (sold by Arca Swiss in the past), Mamiya RB, probably some Graflex 2x3" rollfilm holders.
The same 141 to 110 reduction plate is useful in front if you want to mount your lenses on 110 mm Arca Swiss lens boards, for use on a 141mm cameras for 4x5", 5x7" and 8x10".
110 mm boards is my standard configuration since I also often use the 6x9cm 110-110 configuration.

3-rd party 141 mm adapter plates exist, allowing to mount Linhof Technika 96x99mm boards.

------------------------------------------------------------

Some information about the company Arca Swiss International itself.

The company is located near Besançon (France) and you can easily visit them, just place a phone call for an appointment. I was there very recently, end of July 2021, but I live only 15 minutes drive from Arca Swiss ;)

postal address
ARCA SWISS International
espace Valentin - quartier de l'Europe
29 rue de Châtillon
25048 BESANÇON cedex
France

phone +33 381 854 060

The place is actually named École-Valentin, two villages (merged into a single municipality), close to Besançon.
From Milano to École-Valentin by car the nicest route goes through Switzerland, via Aosta, Grand Saint Bernard tunnel (or pass, open in summer only), Martigny, Lausanne, Pontarlier, Besançon. Allow about 6:30 driving time.

It is also very easy to go there by train. Arca Swiss is located 10 minutes walk from a small train station named "École-Valentin". A shuttle train connects the station "École-Valentin" to the main high speed train station "Besançon-Franche-Comté-TGV".
From Milano Centrale to École-Valentin, travel time by train via Lugano, Basel and Mulhouse is about 7h00.
From Paris to École-Valentin travel time by train is about 2h30 so people living in Paris or visiting Paris can easily make the return travel to Arca Swiss within one day.

I'm not sure if somebody speaks Italian at Arca Swiss, but the nice lady who will welcome you on the phone speaks fluently English, French and German.

Mario and of course all forum friends can also send me a message through the forum's messenging system, I'll be very happy to exchange with them on the subject!

r.e.
8-Aug-2021, 07:01
With regard to the conversion kits (5x7 & 8x10), they are expensive. You could likely get a dedicated 8x10 for the same money. Converting the camera, especially in the field is a nuisance IMO. I personally would focus on setting up your ideal 4x5 and wait on worrying about the larger formats until you’re ready to think about it. It’s a lot of effort to put together the perfect camera system from 45 to 810. And your needs may change in the future.

The above summarises a view that @agregov set out in more detail in a post last February: Arca-Swiss f classic - query about format conversion (https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?162112-Arca-swiss-f-classic-query-about-format-conversion-from-4x5-to-5x7&p=1585887&viewfull=1#post1585887)

I have a different view. I see my Arca-Swiss components as a LEGO set rather than as 4x5 and 8x10 cameras. Depending on what I'm doing, I might use my 500mm telescoping rail and long bellows with either my 4x5 or 8x10 rear standard. That's how I'm able to use my Fujinon C 600mm lens, and Nikkor 210mm AM ED macro lens well beyond 1:1, to shoot 4x5 as well as 8x10.

I started with an Arca-Swiss Discovery. It wasn't "a lot of effort" to expand from there. I just acquired additional components when the opportunity arose. This was also more within my means than buying a new conversion kit or 8x10 camera.

I decide whether I'm going to configure the camera for 4x5 or 8x10 sheets of film before I go out to shoot. This has never taken more than about ten minutes at a leisurely pace. I don't bring along the whole LEGO set, plus loaded film holders for both 4x5 and 8x10, and start reconfiguring the camera on a New York City street or in a field somewhere. I wouldn't cart around separate 4x5 and 8x10 cameras either. If some people do that, more power to them, but to me the idea has zero attraction. Calling it a "nuisance" is an understatement :) I see format decisions, and indeed lens decisions, as a matter of scouting and pre-planning. From my point of view, the less gear that I bring with me to make the photographs, the better.

r.e.
8-Aug-2021, 12:19
First, thanks to Emannuel Bigler for consolidating, and updating, a lot of information about Arca-Swiss cameras.

One reason that Emmanuel's post is so useful is that it brings clarity to a superficially complex system of permutations and combinations. I took a few iPhone snaps this afternoon, and in this and the next post I want to show the Arca-Swiss system at its simplest and least expensive.

Earlier, I said that I started with an Arca-Swiss Discovery. That was the camera that Arca-Swiss marketed, at a very attractive price, to students in photography and fine art programmes. With one exception, the first photo below shows my camera configured as a Discovery.

The exception shows a simple example of Arca-Swiss modularity. The screen capture below, which is from the Arca-Swiss catalogue that Emmanuel linked, shows the "Basic" function carrier and the "F-Classic" function carrier. The Discovery came with the Basic carrier. In the photo, I've changed out the Basic carrier for the Classic carrier. The screen capture explains the similarities and differences between these carriers. The basic difference is that the Basic carrier works by friction, and the Classic carrier is geared. Note that one could use a combination of one Basic carrier and one Classic carrier. In any event, the Basic carrier is lighter, and works fine unless one needs geared adjustments in bellows length. It got a lot of people through photography and art school.

In the photo of the camera, the lens is a Nikkor-W f/5.6 240mm. This lens covers both 4x5 and 8x10. That means that I can use it with my Arca-Swiss components set up for either format. Other lenses that I have, and can use, for both configurations are a Nikkor 210mm AM ED macro, a Nikkor-W 360mm and a Fujinon C 600mm.

In case anyone is wondering about the tripod head in these photos... For still photography, I normally use a Gitzo levelling base or, if I need fine adjustments, a Manfrotto Pan and Tilt Geared Head. I haven't used a ball head in years. I also have a Miller CX6 fluid head that I use with a Blackmagic cinema camera. The Miller is what's in these photos. I'm trying it out with the Arca-Swiss, and I love the combination. I also have a Ries wooden tripod and head, but it's currently 2900km (1800mi) away.

Arca-Swiss Discovery

Arca-Swiss Basic and F-Classic Function Carriers

r.e.
8-Aug-2021, 12:58
Further to the post above...

These photos show the Discovery from the rear and from the side.

The rail is 300mm long. As Emmanuel notes, the rail is mounted on what is a short length of Arca-Swiss's telescopic rail bed. The bed locks to the rail with a lever (see the photos), and has a 3/8" female receiver on the bottom. In the photos, the bed is screwed onto a plate for my Miller CX6 fluid head.

As an option for the Discovery, Arca-Swiss resellers proposed a 150mm (6") rail, which could be purchased separately, as part of a telescoping rail or as part of a "C" (for Compact) folding rail. I've never felt the need for this option, despite travelling with this camera on two continents and through several countries. If you look at the photos, I like to carry the camera with my hand, upside-down from the centre of the rail. For packing, I can move the front and rear standards so that they are right beside each other, or just take the standards off the rail. That's compact enough for me.

The Discovery has 171mm standards/lens boards, predating the change to 141mm. As a practical matter, 30mm makes no difference to me. As others have explained in posts #8 and #9, some people prefer 171mm. Note that the Discovery came with a recessed lens board (see the photo in the post above). Arca-Swiss regards recessed boards, rather than flat boards, as the "standard" board for its cameras. My understanding is that this has to do with the operation of Orbix, which is a component that I haven't purchased.

Arca-Swiss Discovery, Rear View

Arca-Swiss Discovery, Side View

6x6TLL
15-Aug-2021, 18:11
I have an F-metric field which has the 110mm front standard and 141mm rear, geared rise/fall and shift. Very compact and handy, I carry it in a largish LowePro shoulder bag with a few lenses and film holders.

The rail is about 30cm assembled and folds in half in the middle for easy packing, meaning the camera sits on one 15cm length. I also have an extra 25cm rail and extra long tapered bellows when needed, more than enough for very long lenses or long bellows extension.

I was thinking at some point to maybe get the 8x10 conversion set and have seen a few used for sale, but since I ended up with the F-field, would need a new front standard as well as rear, since mine is 110mm and the 5x7 and 8x10 models are all 141mm front standards. My current front standard has Orbix which is really nice in use, very quick to get everything in focus near to far.

I agree with R.e. in that I generally visit a site and make a plan for what I want to shoot, use a viewing frame to select focal lengths and locations, then pack the gear I need in a bag and head out. Did that recently mid day when the light wasn't optimal for shooting, then went back and visited with the camera in the late afternoon or early morning. The less I have to carry, the better! :p

Like R.e. I keep an eye on auction sites, photo sites and elsewhere and when I see something I can use at a decent price, add it to my "Lego" set of Arca gear. It's minimal, but covers what I need for what I currently shoot, and can grow with me as I want to do more. I think the only other camera system like it is probably the Sinar, which is also modular, but seems a bit bulkier and heavier overall.

If I were certain when I first got the camera that I would be shooting 8x10, I would have probably gotten the 141 front standard version, also with Orbix, so that the transition would have been a bit easier, even though the 110mm front standard is smaller and lighter, making for easier carrying (and should take Copal #3 shuttered lenses, at least I've been told it will).

Hope this helps!

Fermat
17-Aug-2021, 23:16
Thank you.
Very helpful.
Since I am not sure I want to exclude definitely the 8x10 format I had better to go for 141mm front.
At the same time the field version is an excellent configuration.

Mario

Fermat
22-Mar-2022, 10:27
Hi all
Many months passed since I wrote last time and many things happened.

First of all my interest in 8x10 is over.
I will stay in 4x5"
Since the trasportability is a strong requirement I think my best choise is
The AS Fline Field C 4x5" with the Orbix.

Now I need to raise funds.

Just a question. What's max focal length can be used on the standard version?

Thanks
Mario

Mario

Mark Darragh
22-Mar-2022, 11:22
Hello Mario,
I’ve found the usable range with the current 110-141 standard leather bellows on the Field from 47-300 lenses.

All the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fermat
22-Mar-2022, 11:43
Hello Mario,
I’ve found the usable range with the current 110-141 standard leather bellows on the Field from 47-300 lenses.

All the best

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat's a great news.
Do you use a foldable rail (C)?
Thanks

Mario

Emmanuel BIGLER
22-Mar-2022, 11:51
Hi all
.... What's max focal length can be used on the standard version?
Thanks
Mario
Mario

Hi!

I have been using this camera for many years.
If you go for a telephoto lens, you can focus telephoto lenses with focal lengths over 300 mm with the universal leather bellows of the 4x5" F-metric Field.
For example I use a 360 mm tele-arton that requires only 210 mm of bellows draw at infinity.
Probably the longest focal length you can use among modern LF lenses is the Schneider 400 mm apo tele xenar with a flange-focal distance of 285 mm.

Fermat
22-Mar-2022, 11:53
I have a Nikon M 300mm.

Mario

Emmanuel BIGLER
22-Mar-2022, 11:57
I have a Nikon M 300mm.
Mario

For the 300 mm Nikon M the flange-focal distance is about 294mm.
You'll be able to focus at infinity, but not at one metre of distance ,)

Fermat
22-Mar-2022, 11:59
Understood.
I normally use 300m at infinity.
Thanks

Mario

Mark Darragh
22-Mar-2022, 13:22
Mario,
I use the camera with both the telescopic rail and the folding rail depending on how I’m using it.

With the folding rail I normally carry the 150mm extension rail, without it on the 300mm rail I find you don’t have much room to move with a 300mm lens. Others experience will be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neil poulsen
23-Mar-2022, 01:43
There are ways to conserve on weight with the Arca system. By those standards, my system is kind of heavy. I have a 300mm bench (some have called this a base) into which I can slide two Type I (older rails)15cm rails. And, I have full sized, 171mm standards.

But back to lighter weights, it's possible to avoid the bench entirely, which can be relatively heavy. For example, you could begin with a single 15cm, Type II rail onto which you can slide both 4x5 function carriers and standards at the same time. I do this with my camera (onto the older Type I 15cm rail), and it makes it easy to stow my camera in a backpack. Arca also makes Type II monorail extensions that can extend the length of the 15cm Type II rail. (Type II rails are the standard, now.). For an extra long rail, one could get two Type II monorail extensions and attach both to either side of the 15cm Type II rail. These extensions also work with longer Type II rails.

Avoiding the bench is OK for 4x5 and 6x9 cameras. But for 8x10, you'll probably want a 40cm or longer bench.

It's pretty easy to find adapters that will attach onto any tripod head that will clamp the bottom of a Type II rail. So again, no need for the bench.

For a really light weight, easy to use system, Arca sells a D4 tripod head that's quite light weight, has a capacity of 60 lbs, and is gear driven. They can be purchased new with the clamp needed for Type II rails. Very sweet system, but the D4 tripod head is quite expensive.

I think that you're correct to stick with the 141mm standards, especially since they're lighter weight than the 171mm standards, and more compact. Plus, they work with new 8x10 Arca conversion kits. I don't care so much about weight, and I tend to prefer my 171mm system. But, it's getting harder to find accessories and Arca bellows for this older equipment.

Here's a dated catalog that shows some of the above equipment. Unfortunately, it does not include information about 141mm format frames and standards.

https://www.arca-swiss-magasin.com/contents/fr/arca-swiss-camera-system.pdf

I'm not aware of a comprehensive catalog for current Arca Swiss equipment. Some people refer to the B&H website for information. (www.bhphotovideo.com.)

Another good source of information is the Rod Klukas website (USA Arca Rep) at www.rodklukas.com.

And, Tom Westbrook's page: http://www.tomwestbrook.com/Photography/arca_swiss.html.

6x6TLL
23-Mar-2022, 17:16
I have the F Metric Field version that has 110mm front standard size, much more compact and lighter than the standard 141mm version. I opted for the Orbix control on the front standard, which is really nice. The bellows is conical and packs up in a thin "sandwich" that doesn't take any more thickness than the folding rail itself, so about 15cm collapsed, 30cm extended, and I too carry a 15cm extension rail.

The main downside of this setup in my mind is the 110mm front standard means that if I want to convert sometime in the future to 8x10 I will have to replace both standards and bellows, rather than just the rear standard and bellows. With the rising cost of 8x10 film and the added weight and bulk, I might just stick with 4x5. Between it and medium format I feel I cover most of what I like to shoot pretty well.

All of this mounts on a D4 Arca head, and as Neil points out, you can mount the rail directly on the D4 head as it's the same width as the bench, which coincidentally is the same width as a standard Arca mount plate. I considered the Arca Cube head as well, but the D4 seemed to be a bit lighter, smaller, and the gearing offers much of the same precision as the Cube.

The whole kit packs quite handily into a shoulder-carry Lowe bag with 90mm, 150mm and 210mm lens, dark cloth, light meter, loupe, and a few film holders. Still looking for a 300-350mm option, haven't quite landed on one yet.

Rod Klukas
28-Mar-2022, 17:23
I have the F Metric Field version that has 110mm front standard size, much more compact and lighter than the standard 141mm version. I opted for the Orbix control on the front standard, which is really nice. The bellows is conical and packs up in a thin "sandwich" that doesn't take any more thickness than the folding rail itself, so about 15cm collapsed, 30cm extended, and I too carry a 15cm extension rail.

The main downside of this setup in my mind is the 110mm front standard means that if I want to convert sometime in the future to 8x10 I will have to replace both standards and bellows, rather than just the rear standard and bellows. With the rising cost of 8x10 film and the added weight and bulk, I might just stick with 4x5. Between it and medium format I feel I cover most of what I like to shoot pretty well.

All of this mounts on a D4 Arca head, and as Neil points out, you can mount the rail directly on the D4 head as it's the same width as the bench, which coincidentally is the same width as a standard Arca mount plate. I considered the Arca Cube head as well, but the D4 seemed to be a bit lighter, smaller, and the gearing offers much of the same precision as the Cube.

The whole kit packs quite handily into a shoulder-carry Lowe bag with 90mm, 150mm and 210mm lens, dark cloth, light meter, loupe, and a few film holders. Still looking for a 300-350mm option, haven't quite landed on one yet.

If you would forgo the MicroOrbix tilt mechanism, then when switching to 8x10 you could just move the rear frame to the front carrier and add the format kit. You might get a 141 to 110 lens board adapter to help hold down the weight and bulk. Later you could if you decided you wanted the MicroOrbix tilt, buy the front frame with it mounted later on and switch then, But you could hold off for now.

8x10 is a whole different experience, especially when composing.

Anyway, let me know if you have more questions.

Be well,

Rod

Fermat
28-Mar-2022, 23:11
One of the advantages I see for 110/140 is that you can use one single bellows to manage from WA to 300mm.
With 141/141 you need one bellows for WA and one for standard... Am I right?

Ciao

Mario