PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Alpina/A1 mounting block

Scott Davis
28-Jul-2021, 11:08
Does anyone know if there ever was some kind of mounting block for a Sinar A1/Alpina beyond the really annoying little piece of aluminum that slides around inside the rail with the 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 threaded sockets? I have always used a Bogen hex QR plate, and a Bogen 3-way pan-tilt head, but if there's a better option (factory or otherwise) I'm all ears.

I have the Alpina around as a student camera for when I teach my intro to Large Format class. For that, they're great little cameras and near-indestructible.

Peter De Smidt
28-Jul-2021, 13:52
Nope. If I had an Alpina/A1 today, I'd probably fit an Arca compatible plate on it. I've never gotten along with Bogen/manfrotto hex plates.

Scott Davis
28-Jul-2021, 14:36
Nope. If I had an Alpina/A1 today, I'd probably fit an Arca compatible plate on it. I've never gotten along with Bogen/manfrotto hex plates.

I had them in the past, but I'm very much over them now. I had an otherwise very nice Bogen three-way pan/tilt head that took the hex plates. I have no problem whatever to switching to an Arca-style plate. I guess there's not any that have two screws, one of each size, that can be placed close enough together to double-screw the A1 mounting plate and prevent twisting of the camera on the plate.

Peter De Smidt
28-Jul-2021, 20:10
Oh, that shouldn't be too hard. Some have slots. Also, some have lips. If it's the right size, the lip will ride against the rail, and it wouldn't spin. That's what I do with my Intrepid 8x10.

Rod Klukas
29-Jul-2021, 17:04
Scott,

Arca-Swiss has several plates that, as someone mentioned, will mount with 2 screws. I used them in my Large Format classes as well, in the 1990's through 2010. I think the school still has some.
contact me with a pic of the little base with a ruler next to it and I can tell you which plate will work.