PDA

View Full Version : Barrel assembly of Super Symmar 150mm XL lens

Jerome Wu
13-Feb-2006, 19:44
Hello everyone:

Recently, I get an offer for an used Schneider 150XL lens at a local store. Some cosmetic wear on the barrel but the glass is perfect. But while checking the lens, I find there is a gap between the front cell barrel and the Copal #1 shutter. When the front cell is screwed in the shutter and tightened, there remains a small gap of about 1-2mm between two parts. I have no experience with Super-Symmar XL lens and never notice the gap on my other LF lenses. So, I would like to know if it's normal for SS-XL lens? Do your SS-XL 150mm lens also have such a small gap? Because I couldn't figure out any reason to cause such a gap from daily use unless it's manufacture error or Schneider intentionally leave the gap to adjust the distance between front and rear cells.

Thank you!

Steve Hamley
13-Feb-2006, 22:07
Jeremy,

Mine has such a gap. Never noticed it before.

Steve

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
14-Feb-2006, 01:54
Mine has a gap like this too! You better not look so close at somone dear to you on just
this day or the gaps might start to show.

Jerome Wu
14-Feb-2006, 20:43
Thank you guys!

Since the gap exists on other 150XL samples, I would consider the one I saw to be normal.

I was not aware of such gap and accidentally found it because the front cell was loose on the 150XL lens I saw. While trying to screw the cell back to shutter, I was not able to screw it all the way down.

I am not an optical expert but I remember reading some posts on internet forum saying that the distance between two cells does affect the opcial performance. (That's why I wonder if this gap is from manufacturer's design.) I have also read from forum, not my experience at all, that early Super-Symmar 80mm XL lens has the 'too soft' problem. I am not sure if this is because the asymmetric design of SS-XL lenses is less tolerant of assembly error compared with symmetric wide angle formula, such as super-angulon.