PDA

View Full Version : New to large format: Toyo 45A

ffergie
19-Jul-2021, 14:17
New to the group.
I have been looking at trying large format photography for quite a while as an "escape" from digital. I have found a lady who is selling her deceased husband's camera collection and amongst the lot is a Toyo 45A 4x5 with a Fujinon 1:8/400 and a Schneider 1:6.8 90mm lens. Also with the ca,mera are assorted film holders and a 120 roll holder. There is an issue with the standard base being cracked but I read that this is a common and easily fixed problem.
My question: what would be a fair price for this setup with the camera. other than the cracked base, being in very good condition? The lenses also appear to be in very good, clean condition and function as they should.
Thanks, looking forward to the large format adventure.

Frank

Oren Grad
19-Jul-2021, 15:04
Welcome to the Forum!

Per Forum guidelines, valuation requests aren't allowed. Your best bet is to check eBay for completed sales of the various items, taking into account that any structural damage will knock down the value substantially.

What exactly do you mean by the "standard base being cracked"?

You will also need to add lenses - 90 and 400 is a very awkward set for a 4x5 beginner. If the 90 is a Super-Angulon Classic, it's fine as a general-purpose wide angle lens; if it's a plain Angulon, it's not the best choice for starting out in 4x5 because of very limited coverage and high sample variation. On the other hand 400 is a very long focal length for 4x5, not really a general-purpose lens. Regardless, most people start with something in the 135-210mm range, which is semi-wide to long-normal for the format, and much more broadly useful.

For getting started you would probably be best off passing on this outfit and instead shopping for a camera without any issues and at least one lens with a focal length closer to normal.

abruzzi
19-Jul-2021, 15:37
Also to consider is what else you will need to get to a fully functional setup. i.e. light meter, film holders, dark cloth. Some you can fake (a black t-shirt makes a halway decent dark cloth) others you can use "modern tech" (like a cell phone or your existing digital camera as a meter.)

In addition--I honestly don't know how people send off their large format film for developing. I had myself fully setup for home developing before I jumped into large format, so it was only the addition of some 4x5 specific tank or tank inserts that needed to be added to the acquisition list, but since you're coming from digital I'm guessing you don't have chemicals and processing tanks, so you'll either send your film off for developing (I assume you leave them in the holder, but I don't know) or get everything you need to develop at home.

I'm not trying to dissuade you, but just be realistic about how to get from zero to fully functional. In my experience the jump from 35mm to medium format was much easier than the jump from medium format to large format. The jump from digital to large format is going to be larger still. (and by "jump" I mean both the gear you need to add as well as the knowledge you need to gain.)

ffergie
19-Jul-2021, 15:53
Ooops, missed that in the guidelines, sorry. I have tried to attach a photo of the damage, it is in the two corners of the opening of the base, right after the 45A label.
Kinda tough to see. 217717

ffergie
19-Jul-2021, 16:07
Thanks for the info and advice, I guess I will likely steer away from the Toyo. Have you any recommendations about the Graflex Crown Graphic? She also has one of these with assorted film holders as well as two lenses (one was a 130mm, I think) that seems to be in excellent condition. I have a light meter to use and I have a friend who has a darkroom that is willing to develop the few sheets that I would produce while learning. Thanks again

sharktooth
19-Jul-2021, 16:43
The issue isn't really the camera brand or model, it's that both you and the seller have little to no experience with large format equipment. This is not a good scenario for either of you.
As the others have noted, if you want to get into large format you should be starting with the basics. I'd recommend getting an outfit from somebody that knows about the equipment, and can sell you something that will be in verified working condition. This should include a working camera with light tight bellows, light tight film holders, a decent normal lens with a reliable shutter (on a compatible lens board), a cable release, and a ground glass focusing loupe.

Once you're familiar with large format, and all the issues that can arise, then it's a lot easier to evaluate the risks of buying "cheap" and unverified equipment. ... but you're not there yet.