PDA

View Full Version : Zone VI Camera Question

dbla
17-Jul-2021, 19:40
Hey all,

I found this camera locally and I'm curious what the longevity of a Zone VI camera looks like these days. I understand that the company is long defunct, but with the camera being mostly brass and wood my main concerns would be the bellows and film back. Are these repairable generally speaking? Would I possibly be able to find new springs for the film back if needed (are these a standard part?) same question with bellows...

Anything else I should check on this camera before purchasing it??

Thanks in advance.

https://i.ibb.co/zPqjr8B/156426011-10157598061331035-1074222440153187651-n.jpg

Mark Sampson
17-Jul-2021, 19:54
I've used one of these (hard) since new in 1992. They are quite well built; the bellows are plastic and mine are still as new. The wide angle bellows will come apart where the bag meets the pleated part, easily fixed with Pliobond cement.
This looks like an earlier version with the narrower knobs on the baseboard, which should make no difference at all. Richard Ritter, on this forum, had a hand in designing and building these cameras and will be able to fix anything that goes wrong. Looks like you'll need a new leather carrying handle, a minor point.
Of course check it for wear and abuse, but the Zone VI is a rugged, capable camera (mine has paid for itself many times over).

dbla
17-Jul-2021, 20:15
I've used one of these (hard) since new in 1992. They are quite well built; the bellows are plastic and mine are still as new. The wide angle bellows will come apart where the bag meets the pleated part, easily fixed with Pliobond cement.
This looks like an earlier version with the narrower knobs on the baseboard, which should make no difference at all. Richard Ritter, on this forum, had a hand in designing and building these cameras and will be able to fix anything that goes wrong. Looks like you'll need a new leather carrying handle, a minor point.
Of course check it for wear and abuse, but the Zone VI is a rugged, capable camera (mine has paid for itself many times over).

Good to know. The ask is $800 with the 210mm schneider pictured, two film holders, and a copal 0 board. That feels good to me.

It actually has the original leather handle, it’s just not pictured.

Thanks!!

shadow images
17-Jul-2021, 22:38
Good to know. The ask is $800 with the 210mm schneider pictured, two film holders, and a copal 0 board. That feels good to me.

It actually has the original leather handle, it’s just not pictured.

Thanks!!

Good price. Have had a few zone vi over the year 4x5-8x10. All have been built well and never had any issues. The 4x5 still have parts floating around and usually readily available forsale.

RichardRitter
18-Jul-2021, 03:04
I have most of the parts for the Zone VI in stock or the parts can be made. Bellows wear out and are available. The springs if they loss there holding power take them off and reform the springs.

As to the missing handle a cat collar works.

As to how long the camera will last it is around 40 years old and looks as good as the day it was made.

dbla
18-Jul-2021, 04:27
Thanks everyone. This is what I needed to know. :-)

Drew Bedo
18-Jul-2021, 05:40
For what it is wort:

I have a 4x5 Wista that was sold by the Zone VI outfit (badged as Zone VI) in the late 1980s before they made their own cameras . Still light tight and working .

I also have an 8x10 Kodak 2D that dates to the 1940s that is still working well.

There are many even older Deardorffs and Speed Graphics still in working order.

The bellows is the part that wears or deteriorates on any view camera with time and usage. The most delicate part is of course the ground glass.

If your Zone VI is light tight and otherwise in good order it should give you many years.

Torontoamateur
18-Jul-2021, 06:20
Wisner also made some of the Zone Vi cameras The on you picture looks much like the Wisner..

RichardRitter
18-Jul-2021, 07:46
Wisner also made some of the Zone Vi cameras The on you picture looks much like the Wisner..

It was not made by Wisner. The rails of the Wisner were thicker and the mane plate had Made By Wisner.
The name plate on the camera shown said made by Zone VI.

Luis-F-S
18-Jul-2021, 10:03
It was not made by Wisner. The rails of the Wisner were thicker and the mane plate had Made By Wisner.
The name plate on the camera shown said made by Zone VI.
So did you make it? L

RichardRitter
18-Jul-2021, 11:25
So did you make it? L

Yes

Ron McElroy
20-Jul-2021, 17:13
I have the exact same iteration of Zone VI that I purchased used in the mid 90s. The only thing I had to do is reengineer some the closing claps. The became lose not long after I got. Still works great. One of these years I might have Richard install a bail back or not.

RichardRitter
21-Jul-2021, 02:40
I have the exact same iteration of Zone VI that I purchased used in the mid 90s. The only thing I had to do is reengineer some the closing claps. The became lose not long after I got. Still works great. One of these years I might have Richard install a bail back or not.

OH yes One of Fred's bright ideas.

dbla
21-Jul-2021, 14:03
OH yes One of Fred's bright ideas.

Hey Richard,

Do they/you make a Fresnel for this camera by chance??

Robbie Bedell
27-Jul-2021, 14:33
I know it's not a Wisner, but I am curious if the bellows between the two are interchangable...Thanks!

RichardRitter
28-Jul-2021, 03:03
I know it's not a Wisner, but I am curious if the bellows between the two are interchangable...Thanks!

No
Different front frames

Drew Bedo
28-Jul-2021, 06:31
There was a good article on the history of Zone VI cameras in the Jan/Feb 2003 issue of View Camera Magazine. The next issue. March/April 2003, carried a supplemental or rebottle article from a different author.

I recommend reading them as they give first-person accounts of the Fred Picker Era that includes references to serial number ranges.

I was able to get a PDF of each article years ago before the magazine folded. Dno't know if they are still sailable.