PDA

View Full Version : Bellows on my Tachihara: how to tell leather from not leather

Ulophot
16-Jul-2021, 15:06
Having just applied some black acrylic paint judiciously to some very small pinholes, I am thinking of treating the bellows exterior. However, they are not original, at least as indicated by the slight misalignment (off-plumb) at the front standard. That's the way camera came to me third-hand. I read that Tachihara used goatskin leather, at least at some point, but my camera has no serial number anyway.

Is there a way to tell whether they are indeed leather? I have read a number of posts and cautionary tales about applying leather treatment to bellows, and that question was posed in one.

Lexol appears to be wide recommendation, assuming I know which product (I don't).

Thanks.

Ian Gordon Bilson
20-Jul-2021, 02:22
The odor? Leather has a smell.

Mark Sampson
20-Jul-2021, 11:58
My 4x5 Tachi, made in 1982, had very thin black goatskin bellows. There was no mistaking them for plastic. I treated them yearly with Lexol, and had no troubles in the ten years I owned that camera.

Ulophot
20-Jul-2021, 12:54
Thanks, folks. Very thin sounds right, though these may not be Tachihara stock, as noted. The inside is the typical silk (?) fabric, and where I found the pinholes, it doesn't look like plastic wearing out, but a drying process. I guess I'll get some Lexol and use is sparingly.