PDA

View Full Version : Best way to store 4x5 negatives

brian steinberger
12-Feb-2006, 21:47
I was wondering how you store your negatives. I'm currently using print file pages that hold 4 4x5 negatives, and file them on hanger bars in a file cabnet. But I also like to use glassine envelopes in storage boxes. Is one way better than the other for archival storage?

Luca Merlo
12-Feb-2006, 23:04
Pergamine envelopes by Panodia (I believe it is a French company). They are very cheap and trouble free.

ronald moravec
13-Feb-2006, 04:30
Archival box, 4x5 envelopes, 4x5 mylar or polypropolene sleeves all from Light Impressions.

The box is about shoe box size with a hinged lid.

Same boxes take long open envelopes and clear sleeves for 35mm and 120.

Stay away from plastic anything for this use.

MIke Sherck
13-Feb-2006, 06:30
I use glassine envelopes holding one negative, stored upright in a very old oak card drawer. I believe that the drawer came out of an old library; I bought it for $2 at an estate auction. The drawers are perfect for 4x5 negatives; I'm still looking for one a bit larger for my 5x7 negatives.

Ed Richards
13-Feb-2006, 06:53
> Stay away from plastic anything for this use.

I am not sure I follow - don't you use mylar and polypropolene sleeves? They are plastic.

Oren Grad
13-Feb-2006, 08:42
Glassine is not generally recommended for long-term storage. Here's what the Library of Congress has to say:

www.loc.gov/preserv/care/photolea.html (http://www.loc.gov/preserv/care/photolea.html)

BrianShaw
13-Feb-2006, 10:07
I store same way as Ronald Moravec. (I stay away from 'nonarchival" plastics).

Al Seyle
13-Feb-2006, 11:27
Virtually all my glassines from the 60s are yellowing. I now use polypropylene sleeves and envelopes stored in a steel cabinet.

tim atherton
13-Feb-2006, 11:53
don't use glassine

use either the paper envelopes made for archives

or the mylar/polypropelyne types (no frosting or "easy-slide" suface coating etc - just plain clear)

Buy them from an archives/museum suppliers like Carr McLean in Canada