PDA

View Full Version : Sheng Hao v. Dayi roll film backs

Joe Farrell
11-Feb-2006, 15:50
Thanks to everyone for who has responded to my questions of late - but there is one thing i forgot to ask.

I am looking to shoot some 6x9 and 6x12 without spending a fortune. Are holders like the Sheng Hao SH 612-B or the Dayi equivalent good opitons (which is better?) or am I better off going with two separate holders, each dedicated to a format. I am shooting with a toyo 45AX.

Thanks

Dan Jolicoeur
11-Feb-2006, 17:29
I believe Paul Owen has written a nice review of the above mentioned backs and the difference between them. Check out the front page of the forum.

David Karp
11-Feb-2006, 18:53
Joe, you could always try out something close to 6x12 by using a dark slide cut in half the long way, but leaving the handle. This gives you two 2" x 5" panoramics per 4x5 sheet. You can do it yourself, or buy one from Bender Photographic. If you find you like this format, you can grab a 6x12 back later on.

Stan. Laurenson-Batten
12-Feb-2006, 05:23
Hi Joe.

I recently did a review on the SH 612B which is listed on this site under RF Backs. Stan. L-B

Nick_3536
12-Feb-2006, 06:26
The Shen Hao changes format by changing a mask on the front of the back. It's possible to change format between shots if you're carefull to make sure you're not in mid frame. If you only intend to shoot one format per roll then you can treat it just like a single format back.

The issue isn't format changes but the dark red window. If you're favorite film has numbers that are hard to read with a ruby window then you might want to consider something that doesn't use a window.