PDA

View Full Version : Nikor Canoe??

Andy Eads
21-Jun-2021, 14:51
What do I have here? They are branded Honeywell-Nikor. I surmise these (I have 3) might be a processing device, likely a tray for photo paper. The two springy things in the bottom are sharp enough to scratch film. The pictures tell the story. I placed an 8x10" print in the "canoe" to give a sense of scale. Your help is greatly appreciated! Andy

Greg
21-Jun-2021, 15:00
Used three of these way back when to process prints. Agitation was not random and if I recall correctly they didn't hold a lot of chemistry.

Keith Fleming
21-Jun-2021, 15:02
Yes, that is a Nikor Canoe. Rocking it side to side kept the developer and other chemicals sloshing. I "think" it dates from the 1980's, but someone more knowledgeable than I surely will correct the date.

Tin Can
21-Jun-2021, 15:12
I bought one just to see it

for Color Paper

https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/what-is-this-thing.86302/

ic-racer
21-Jun-2021, 16:07
Before color print drums were popular.

Eric Woodbury
21-Jun-2021, 18:57
I knew them to be called a "Color Canoe" for processing color prints with minimal chemistry. Only needed one canoe. There was a stainless steel wire bail that attached somehow that rested in the bottom used to lift the print. They used only the minimum chemistry required per print. Processing drums were very expensive. They are from the late 60s.

I made one out of cardboard and fiberglass for making 16x20 prints. As a kid, I couldn't afford big trays and gallons of chemistry for BW prints. And I didn't have the room.

Tin Can
22-Jun-2021, 03:25
Maybe I actually use mine for a 35 mm enlarged color print

I have some paper

Never tried color prints, mostly because my instructor 22 years ago warned of the chems

I certainly will be careful and vented if and when

Jim Jones
22-Jun-2021, 05:13
I used Heath Color Canoes for years when developing a very few prints or LF negatives. The Heath Color Canoe https://www.ebay.com/itm/164862741219 size 11x14 used maybe 1.5 ounces of one-shot chemicals. Note the wire bail in the linked photo: it makes a print easier to remove, but requires slightly more chemicals. (edit) Oops, the wire bail had been removed in the linked photo.

Randy
22-Jun-2021, 05:29
I have some plastic trays that look similar called - "Wave Tray" - assuming they were for print processing. Large enough for an 8X10 print with a screw-on cap at one end for dumping the chems. I have never used them and can not find any info on the web.

Andy Eads
22-Jun-2021, 21:07
Thank you one and all! - Andy