PDA

View Full Version : Trading my Tech IV for a Super Graphic?

Josh Root
10-Feb-2006, 00:06
So this Tech IV I have is nice and all. But I just don't think I'm a Tech IV guy.

All the improvements/acessories are too expensive. Wide angles are a problem. The pop up hood is horrible.

I just find myself wishing I had my Crown Graphic again.

So I've been thinking that maybe I should look for someone who has a Super Graphic and wants to trade up to the Linhof. I could even deal with having a Crown Graphic again, though the lack of front tilts isn't exciting. I figure the difference in value would even get me started towards getting the 65-75mm lens I want.

Am I crazy? Large format is fun, but I'm not a serious LF'er. I just use LF for various specific projects. So I want something simple and tough.

In all truthfulness, I really find myself wishing I had my Arca Swiss Discovery again. It's not like I would HAVE to have a field camera.

medform-norm
10-Feb-2006, 04:57
"In all truthfulness, I really find myself wishing I had my Arca Swiss Discovery again. It's not like I would HAVE to have a field camera. "

So why don't you trade your Linhof for another Arca? Or for another field camera that fits your needs better? We started with a Linhof and didn't really like it as well. Now we have Plaubel and Graphic View, both monorails which we use in the field. Not very foldable, but very easy in the controls. And what about a nice Horseman or Wista? They seem a little more practical to us than the Linhof, but that's a matter of opinion. Now that you know what you don't want in both Linhof and Super Graphic, you can draw up a list of specs you'd like your camera to have, post it here and see if anyone knows of a camera that meets your wants. And budget, not to forget.
Or have you done that already and the Super Graphic is the result of your queries?

Robert Ley
10-Feb-2006, 05:41
Josh, I started with a Super Graphic and liked it very much, still have it as a backup. I graduated to a Wista VX for it's versatility with wide angles (bag bellows) and the back movements. I have never used a Linhof and doubt whether the Wista compares in built but it works great for me.

Frank Petronio
10-Feb-2006, 05:49
For something of comparable quality and durability to the Linhof, get a metal Wista VX or SP. The controls are much easier to negotiate and it is a more flex design. About an even trade though.

If you really miss your Discovery, look for an older model Arca (pre-F line). They have all the advantages - light weight, flex, compact monorail, etc. that Arca's are know for, except you can buy a decent 4x5 for $300 or so.

If you really go the Crown Graphic route, you can always reverse the front standard to get front tilt without the drop bed. They do work well for what they are - light and durable and cheap.

You could probably pick up some funky old monorail, like a Calumet-Orbit-Kodak coathanger model, for peanuts for the times you want studio movements. They work just fine...

The Super Graphic is heavier and doesn't get you much other than some movements and a metal body that is usually missing a battery cover and has a more Linhof-like focusing hood. I'd pass unless I came upon a great deal on a nice one with a operating electric release and RF, good cammed lenses, etc.

Nick Morris
10-Feb-2006, 06:02
Hello. This is funny. I have a Super Graphic, and have often though of upgrading to a Linof. I never have because I really like the Super Graphic, though I rarely use it anymore since going to 8x10. The advantages of the Super Graphic over the Crown are the rotating back, metal body, and I believe more front movement. If you are interested and want to email me, I know of a nice Crown Special kit w/ 135mm Xenar, and a Super w/ 135mm Rodenstock that are available for purchase from a friend.

John Brownlow
10-Feb-2006, 06:16
I went from a Super Graphic to a Master Technika. I wouldn't go back. The Super Graphic is a great camera but its rigiditiy is horrible compared to the MT, and that was a big problem for me.

You are right about the Linhof pop up hood. I ditched it and use either the Wista folding reflex hood or the criminally over-priced Linhof reflex finder (you can sometimes find cheap clones on ebay).

Linhof ownership is frustrating because the cameras are a mix of perfection and bone-headed design, while the price of accessories is just mind-boggling.

I do occasionally think about trading the MT but I would go to something like a Horseman, Wista or Arca Swiss. I keep a cheap Crown Graphic around for those days when I want to use a really wide lens.

Bill_1856
10-Feb-2006, 07:51
I have a Technika, Crown, and Super. But the 4x5 I use most is my Busch Pressman model D. Where the Crown was the linear development of nearly 50 years of Speed Graphics, the Super was a completely new design which needed another generation to make it truly usable.

Joseph O'Neil
10-Feb-2006, 08:19
>>"Where the Crown was the linear development of nearly 50 years of Speed Graphics, the Super was a completely new design which needed another generation to make it truly usable."

I agree. I use my Super Graphic all the time, but I have never stopped using my Crown. It's just a little more robust and refined in little details. For example, I find it take a pounding better than the Super Graphic does - I've falled down a hill twice now into a river. I don't see that as bad luck or poor planning as much as a rite of passage into the LF community. :)

Back into serious mode, the weaknesses of the Super Graphic are (is?) lack of back movments (ys it rotates, but that's it), and when you use 90mm lenses, the focus is so tight to the body that the use of movments is very restrictive. One reason I bought a Fuji 105mm, much more room for movements. The Crown actually seems to handle 90mm better, but it has less front movements, so on those days, I say screw it, chuck both aside and pull out the monorail. :)

I do not think I would ever get rid of my Super Graphic - too many good times together, but I am always looking at those ads in VC magazine at new field cameras......

joe

Brian Ellis
10-Feb-2006, 09:37
I don't see what the question is (except "am I crazy," for which you need a psychiatrist, not a LF group). You say you don't like your present camera and there are two others you'd prefer. Neither of your preferred cameras is terribly expensive and you don't indicate any problem in finding or paying for the camera you want so why don't you just get what you want?

Josh Root
10-Feb-2006, 09:44
"so why don't you just get what you want?"

Brian,

I get your point, but if that were the requirement for posting or not, there would be very little reason to even have internet forums.

I just wanted to get some feedback from people who have switched "to" or "from" various cameras. Specifically the eccentric glory of a Tech. And most of the responses have provided just that.

CXC
10-Feb-2006, 10:30
Lucky for you the camera you own and don't like holds a high resale value, so it should be easy to dump it for something you find preferable. The mistake I made was trying to get into ULF. I took a beating when I got rid of the stuff. Glad I did though, now I can focus on 8x10.

David Karp
10-Feb-2006, 20:15
You might consider a Walker Titan SF. It is not like a Crown Graphic or Linhof in that it closes up into a box, it is more like a wooden folder. It is, however, made of ABS and is quite rigid. It has back swing, tilt and shift, in addition to all front movements except shift. You can use lenses as long as a Fuji 450mm C with it. I recently purchased one and am very pleased with my purchase. My prior "field" camera was a Crown Graphic or my Cambo 45SF monorail.