PDA

View Full Version : Wisner Technical Field 11x14 Lensboards

jurgenestanislao
8-Jun-2021, 01:14
Any Wisner 11x14 camera users in the group?

Trying to figure out the correct Lensboards dimensions for the camera as mine came without any.

Old manuals show it's 5 1/4" x 5 1/4" but based on my actual measurements it's 5 1/2" x 5 1/2" unsure as well of the rebate dimensions for the light traps.

Any experiences and leads would help.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Tin Can
8-Jun-2021, 06:45
I keep a small stock of Hobby Wood like this (https://www.amazon.com/hobby-wood/s?k=hobby+wood), their 8X8" plywood lets me make my own

I also have a few large hole saws that worked well with this exact drill press (https://www.amazon.com/SKIL-3320-01-10-Inch-Drill-Press/dp/B003LSSS0W/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=SKIL+3320-01+3.2+Amp+10-Inch&qid=1623159484&s=hi&sr=1-1)

However you need experience and safety knowledge

Do not use a 'fly cutter'

I bought the drill press 7 years ago for $120

Every time I need a new size, I just buy it

Of course zimba1 can make any lens board very cheaply and quick. I buy many from him and have met him twice

https://www.ebay.com/usr/zbima1?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

William Whitaker
8-Jun-2021, 09:19
The "large" Wisner lens boards are nominally 5 1/4" x 5 1/4". Wisner made no larger.
Don't ask me how I know!

If your camera truly measures differently, you might want to get a second opinion.
Randy's suggestion of Zbima1 is spot-on. Zbima1 makes awesome lensboards and for a reasonable price.

RichardRitter
8-Jun-2021, 12:58
Wisner did make a few camera that took a Sinar lens board.

William Whitaker
9-Jun-2021, 09:39
Wisner did make a few camera that took a Sinar lens board.

The "large" Wisner lens boards are nominally 5 1/4" x 5 1/4". Wisner made no larger.
Don't ask me how I know!

I'm sorry Richard. I didn't mean to speak out of turn. If anyone should know, it's you. And, too, in conversation at one time, Ron Wisner explained to me that his choice of a 5 1/4" lensboard size was based on the assumption that the largest shutter size anyone would use would be an Ilex 5 or a Copal 3. As it turns out, that assumption was misguided with the result that I have had to have one of my cameras, a Wisner, modified to accept larger lensboards that can accommodate both the lenses I want to use for that format and to allow the use of an appropriately-sized Packard shutter.
Long story...

Tin Can
9-Jun-2021, 09:53
My DIY 14x17 will use Cambo 8x10 rear frame as front frame so any lens can fit.

I have the parts

Front bellows is 10x10

I'm sorry Richard. I didn't mean to speak out of turn. If anyone should know, it's you. And, too, in conversation at one time, Ron Wisner explained to me that his choice of a 5 1/4" lensboard size was based on the assumption that the largest shutter size anyone would use would be an Ilex 5 or a Copal 3. As it turns out, that assumption was misguided with the result that I have had to have one of my cameras, a Wisner, modified to accept larger lensboards that can accommodate both the lenses I want to use for that format and to allow the use of an appropriately-sized Packard shutter.
Long story...