PDA

View Full Version : Looking for my first 8x10 field camera, what are my best options in 2021?

jakew0814
2-Jun-2021, 05:03
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and looking into getting my first 8x10 for backpacking, there doesn't appear to be too many options, definitely not affordable ones at least.

I have the a nice tripod with a good arca head, a Fujinon W 250/6.7, L558 spot meter + cloth & loupe etc. Now all I need are the holders and the camera...

Am I better to shop used, bide my time aswell as save cash for something like a Chamonix or Canham. Or would I be better starting with something cheaper like the Intrepid mk2 or the Stenopeika Hyper 8x10?

I am based in the UK btw, thanks all.

Tin Can
2-Jun-2021, 05:24
Buy Intrepid

asap

Greg
2-Jun-2021, 05:33
An 8x10 Burke & James Commercial view camera is a good start. It was for me. After using it for a few years, I stripped the gray paint and refinished the wood. Ended up selling it for three times what I paid for it.

jakew0814
2-Jun-2021, 05:37
Buy Intrepid

asap

Really considering it, the weight and price point are big plusses.

Corran
2-Jun-2021, 06:22
You're in the UK so yeah the Intrepid would be great. If you don't like it or find a better camera for your personal needs you can resell fairly easily. It's a no-brainer IMO. Start shooting NOW, don't put off making images to save for a more expensive and not necessarily better camera.

Alan9940
2-Jun-2021, 06:27
Here's another vote for the Intrepid. I own the Kickstarter Mk1 version and the latest Mk2 and, though they're not particularly precise cameras, they're great for backpacking over longer distances. You might have to fiddle with the camera a bit more than other more expensive models, but it will get the job done.

jakew0814
2-Jun-2021, 07:20
You're in the UK so yeah the Intrepid would be great. If you don't like it or find a better camera for your personal needs you can resell fairly easily. It's a no-brainer IMO. Start shooting NOW, don't put off making images to save for a more expensive and not necessarily better camera.

I think you're right, I want to make the most of this summer too after being stuck in for so long...

jakew0814
2-Jun-2021, 07:22
Here's another vote for the Intrepid. I own the Kickstarter Mk1 version and the latest Mk2 and, though they're not particularly precise cameras, they're great for backpacking over longer distances. You might have to fiddle with the camera a bit more than other more expensive models, but it will get the job done.

How does the camera zero out on the front standard? Are there detents or marks or do you add your own?:D Do you think there the mk2 is much improved?

thanks

Michael77
2-Jun-2021, 07:29
You have a french alternative https://woodymanproject.com/
very good reviews also

jakew0814
2-Jun-2021, 07:53
You have a french alternative https://woodymanproject.com/
very good reviews also

oh these do look nice also, I like the blacked out version especially.

Peter De Smidt
2-Jun-2021, 09:26
Do you think there the mk2 is much improved?

thanks

Yes. And current production is better than those from about a year ago. They've added light traps, the knobs are a bit nicer, and they've beveled the appropriate edge when a film holder is inserted.....

jakew0814
2-Jun-2021, 09:57
Yes. And current production is better than those from about a year ago. They've added light traps, the knobs are a bit nicer, and they've beveled the appropriate edge when a film holder is inserted.....

Excellent, I think my choice is made then. I'm going to get the fresnel and a pack of HP5 from them also to get me going considering the reasonable cost of the camera itself.

Drew Bedo
2-Jun-2021, 10:09
The "best" 8x10 camera to use is whatever one you have at the time. Whatever you do get will not be the last camera you buy. If you stay with LF that statement is a certainty.

ASs you are new to LF your creative process and workflow will change as will your way of "seeing". For these reasons what you want in an "ideal" or "best" samara will also change.

Starting out with a Burk and James is not a bad idea. Another good choice is an Intrepid. Kodak 2Ds are another, though they do not have front tilt or swing. Again: Whatever comes your way at a price point you can manage will work for you at first. Later on you will have an experience base that will inform your next choice in gear.

Best wishes in your search. Let us know what you do.

Welcome to LF!

jakew0814
2-Jun-2021, 12:12
The "best" 8x10 camera to use is whatever one you have at the time. Whatever you do get will not be the last camera you buy. If you stay with LF that statement is a certainty.

ASs you are new to LF your creative process and workflow will change as will your way of "seeing". For these reasons what you want in an "ideal" or "best" samara will also change.

Starting out with a Burk and James is not a bad idea. Another good choice is an Intrepid. Kodak 2Ds are another, though they do not have front tilt or swing. Again: Whatever comes your way at a price point you can manage will work for you at first. Later on you will have an experience base that will inform your next choice in gear.

Best wishes in your search. Let us know what you do.

Welcome to LF!

You are very right, my tastes and needs are bound to change the further i progress. I have shot quite a lot of 4x5 so i'm not completely new but I will be sure to be share my contact prints and scans from the 8x10 in the not to distant future!

Ron (Netherlands)
2-Jun-2021, 12:37
oh these do look nice also, I like the blacked out version especially.

Looking great indeed, but many do; best is to check out the quality of the filmholders - guess they don't make them but use an international back so you can use other makes.
So you still have to find 10x8 holders

you could buy the less costly plywood camera and paint it black :-)

jakew0814
2-Jun-2021, 12:51
Looking great indeed, but many do; best is to check out the quality of the filmholders - guess they don't make them but use an international back so you can use other makes.
So you still have to find 10x8 holders

you could buy the less costly plywood camera and paint it black :-)

I'm going to go with the intrepid for what it's worth, save some money for holders and film. Plus it's local in comparison.

Alan9940
2-Jun-2021, 20:50
How does the camera zero out on the front standard? Are there detents or marks or do you add your own?:D Do you think there the mk2 is much improved?

thanks

The MK2 is much improved over the prior model. The front standard has no detent to help you center the lens to the film and no "zero catch" for the tilt. I just eyeball it. I drew lines across the base at each lens position to ensure the front swing is zeroed out.

Charles S
3-Jun-2021, 05:51
Gibellini Bellatrix. I own one and it works well.
https://www.gibellinicamera.com/product/bellatrix-810/

Willie
3-Jun-2021, 16:34
One can never own too many Deardorffs.

John Earley
4-Jun-2021, 13:23
Gibellini Bellatrix. I own one and it works well.
https://www.gibellinicamera.com/product/bellatrix-810/

Likewise here. I am very satisfied with the Bellatrix.

richydicky
4-Jun-2021, 14:17
I'm going to go with the intrepid for what it's worth, save some money for holders and film. Plus it's local in comparison.

The price is attractive and good for a learning tool but be prepared to make tweaks and little modifications and not do anything serious until you are sure it will deliver reliable results. Check on lead times too.

Peter De Smidt
4-Jun-2021, 14:23
The price is attractive and good for a learning tool but be prepared to make tweaks and little modifications and not do anything serious until you are sure it will deliver reliable results. Check on lead times too.

That's true with many cameras, especially older ones.

manfrominternet
15-Jun-2021, 00:15
I'm actually also looking for an 8x10 camera after having used a 4x5 for several years now. I was also thinking about the 8x10 Intrepid Mark II, but I've read complaints that it's actually too light a camera, acting almost like a sail even in soft wind.

The Gibellini Bellatrix 810 actually looks very promising. I noticed that it has an optional "Bright Ground Glass" in addition to its standard "Plastic Ground Glass". Would this negatate the need for the also optional 8x10 fresnel?

Fred L
15-Jun-2021, 05:14
Something to consider when jumping up, is what kind of budget will you have for the camera ? If you have the funds, and prefer the traditional knobs on the side for bed extensions, I'd suggest Canham (even though I have the Zone VI camera). I also have an Intrepid v1.0 8x10 and it pretty well only comes out if I need a very light camera for hiking distances. If you can work with the rear central worm gear focus of many of the newer camera, I'd include Richard Ritter's camera in your search. Good luck !

Greg Y
15-Jun-2021, 07:02
Manfrominternet, if you have the budget, i'd consider either the Canham or the Chamonix Alpinist. Working with 8x10 (& larger) is not an inexpensive endeavour, so IMO it's a good idea to do some research and buy a camera that suits the work you're doing, but you don't feel you need to 'upgrade.'

John Kasaian
15-Jun-2021, 08:26
Jakew0814 Since you've already indicated that you've made up you mind for an Intrepid, go for it!

Don't second guess your decision unless something unforeseen happens.
No negative could read the nameplate on the camera that took it.

Get some film holders and have at it.

John Earley
15-Jun-2021, 16:48
The Gibellini Bellatrix 810 actually looks very promising. I noticed that it has an optional "Bright Ground Glass" in addition to its standard "Plastic Ground Glass". Would this negatate the need for the also optional 8x10 fresnel?
I have the Gibellini Belatrix and find the plastic ground glass to be plenty bright enough. It is a little courser than I normally like but not enough to bother changing it. So far I'm very pleased with the camera.

manfrominternet
16-Jun-2021, 01:49
I have up to $2500 to spend on an 8x10. Do you guys think the Gibellini Bellatrix 810 would be the wisest choice or can I do better? (I've just read some horror stories when it comes with Gibellini's customer service, so I'm not sure if I should take it with a grain of salt.) I do want to get an 8x10 to last a lifetime and have no intention of selling it. If it helps, I primarily shoot cityscapes/landscapes with color negs/slides so weight is rather important.

Two of my 4x5 lenses can be used with an 8x10 (240mm Fuji A f/9 and a 300mm Nikon M f/9) so I'm itching to jump right in.

Alternatively, and I've been thinking about this a lot lately, my father is a CNC machinist/master carpenter (he literally hand-built nearly all of the furniture in my parents' house growing up) and I've been thinking that it would be terrific to build an 8x10 camera from scratch with him, now that he's newly retired and has a lot of time on his hands. I just don't know where to source all the parts like the ground glass and bellows and whatnot...

John Earley
16-Jun-2021, 04:29
Alternatively, and I've been thinking about this a lot lately, my father is a CNC machinist/master carpenter (he literally hand-built nearly all of the furniture in my parents' house growing up) and I've been thinking that it would be terrific to build an 8x10 camera from scratch with him, now that he's newly retired and has a lot of time on his hands. I just don't know where to source all the parts like the ground glass and bellows and whatnot...

I've bought bellows from Rudy at ecbuyonline at eBay and have been happy with them, https://www.ebay.com/itm/283801553297?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818143230%26meid%3D0ec82024828a4df58818525757b17a7e%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D271381085022%26itm%3D283801553297%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

I've also bought ground glass from photo finder on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233170559224?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item364a0c60f8:g:icUAAOSwaB5Xqi-1&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACgPYe5NmHp%252B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSRAQR8FABHjfpFoyRlXhWmYu1LcYo54dOIi855GpCWY6QnnxikH2a%252FN4Y7yRNCQyCcCc688pLmEfC148BDFyv03tvh%252FwN7rhl1JphNr%252F%252Ff8clSUux4xKqGOHqUzagNgV1W9PlWP8PIkxG9%252FntW%252FCZwWSPmUEqrCHw0ICwuG2Eqd%252FadmpBDLBkrN3Vx4PlBRiYpCZmmJXog4GDAXfyj9VctTsh6CZuBfhmwnpmEgQyfLQdZ91Qt10sFkp8p6YqKuqqIe1BX3w%252Fl%252FOpvIYezo3QFOLAaOvJIn7UY2yj01LLwdkKIU7DNMwah2OaYloV%252FsKp%252FNaHzZrgT5dOBVY42WGPIJowkMqbuP4XUk7RKgnRZCDEeU0UQCt2kqgUke9X1iU8MJYozPuE%252BP5WNIRoYDWIlM5KQndmLIIgSaBJd%252FaIz5c%252FEw5cWr1jKUfmI98CAmdP0Jwn6jdSggZbnTyd9Rm4P53xTd8jegdKpjr%252FWm0Lznv0viuWzUNJhdRVyW8msHFGxPpv8SSPYwAHsadMHD4ew3zdwCfk90H1bDIF%252FWGdv5wErYoOARbzyjgjQIbvmegilcZhn2JBH5TKGn7Qd373BTJYGSBsiAPeGM7t8ihpFTk0ZrvtOwBlQX7NzPBY5Qis%252BRVDRUClLYJv7vXlgVCyoUAdlp0%252BBlM22Nuhr9UsWBaa0%252F70CtigbXUjmED3Fq8lOduSzfBKAcOuOXzNJHO%252BaWWY2S%252BWKgmAn6LOTNo29SvrR1Oek4uwJE3hGd4PGuxU%252B4IPw%252BpINTjdTozhGk5yfOnlYxGOH%252B3Q29L6LLg83N0%253D%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2334524

Tin Can
16-Jun-2021, 04:54
If building an 8X10, consider a magnesium Calumet C1 Back only

Very light, very carefully made, attaches with 2 fasteners to anything flat

I sold my C1, but kept C1 4X5, 5X7, 8X10 backs for their studyness, bail back, excellent GG registration, also vented so GG is not corner cut. I use them on this, notice the 2 bolts on either side, that thread into inserts

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51039433122_93035432bc_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kLbrhf)Levy 8X10 Macro 2-1 (https://flic.kr/p/2kLbrhf) by TIN CAN COLLEGE (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

Hard to find now that I write this, I got mine before the madness...

They can be OE white, black or green, later versions are far heavier aluminum, but still very good

Good enough for Karsh

Rod Klukas
16-Jun-2021, 08:51
And there is also the modular precise Arca-Swiss 8x10 or 4x5. See youtube by Ben Horne for the 8x10 Arca-Swiss introduction.

And there are format kits to change to larger or smaller size camera.

Rod

martiansea
16-Jun-2021, 11:41
I have up to $2500 to spend on an 8x10. If you search around, you can probably snag a Deardorff for this much, if you don't mind having to fix it up, replace bellows, etc...

Bernice Loui
16-Jun-2021, 11:47
Biased opinion, Toyo 810M. Dis-like for wood cameras. Of all the 8x10 field folders, Toyo 810M remains the all time fave for a very long list of reasons.

Alternative is to build a camera. This can work if the camera needs are not complex and if one is willing to tolerate a less than precision-accurate-stable camera (really no different than new budget view cameras as they are essentially low cost mechanical devices).

Bernice

abruzzi
16-Jun-2021, 13:56

Some bits might be challenging to make, but I would totally do this, just research first with your father to figure out the bits that you can't do your self. Once you have that list, find other sources for those bits and make sure your design matches those third party parts. For instance, find an appropriate bellows sized for another 8x10, then design the standards to match that bellows. I have no fabrication skills, but if you have access to someone who does, I think it would be really fun.

Luis-F-S
16-Jun-2021, 17:01
If you search around, you can probably snag a Deardorff for this much, if you don't mind having to fix it up, replace bellows, etc...
I bought my last V8 for his budget price, my "user" for less than that. That way, you get a classic camera made in the US, not an import made at the cheapest price for people "new" to large format. I haven't had to "fix" any of mine up. Just wait for one to come up on one of the forums and don't pay stupid money for one!

Kiwi7475
16-Jun-2021, 17:30
I doubt you can do much cheaper than an intrepid, even if built it yourself.

I’d get that and by the time you’ve used it well, gained experience, and identified what you’d like to see improved, you can decide if you want to build or upgrade.

The camera is only 1 thing. I believe you’re better off spending the extra money on film, lenses and traveling to shoot. Then, after a while, you can re-evaluate and you can probably resell your intrepid at little to no cost, if not with a profit.

manfrominternet
16-Jun-2021, 18:46
I'd love to get the Toyo 810M or the Arca Swiss or the Deardorff, but those are a bit out of my price range. What exactly is it about Deardorffs aside from the name that make them so special, above even, say, a Chamonix 810?

Can anyone comment on the Nagaoka 8x10? It's seemingly more in my price range.

Bernice Loui
16-Jun-2021, 20:02
Toyo 810M, metal field folder.

Arca Swiss, monorail.

Deardorff, wood field folder.

Three distinctly different cameras. Each has distinct advantages / disadvantages.

~Given these brands and camera styles, add Sinar.

If the camera cost alone is excessive, consider the entire 8x10 system cost and per sheet of 8x10 film cost.

~Good lenses are going to be a LOT more $ than 4x5 or 5x7.

~More stout tripod and tripod head.

~Film holders are more $ than 4x5 or 5x7 and the film holders are LOTs bigger, bulkier and all that. Load up ten 8x10 film holders then comes how to carry them.

~8x10 film per sheet $10 to $30 per sheet, double that per film holder. Add processing cost.

~Then print making.. which can be similar to smaller sheet film cost.

Bottom line, 8x10 sheet film has never been a budget sheet film format, flinching at the cost of a good 8x10 camera could signal that might not be the ideal sheet film format given the budget allocated. Sure there are low cost ways to do 8x10, that may not get the absolute best out of 8x10.

Then again, if one is contact printing 8x10 or larger can work really good and the lenses does not need to be that good at all.

Bernice

I'd love to get the Toyo 810M or the Arca Swiss or the Deardorff, but those are a bit out of my price range. What exactly is it about Deardorffs aside from the name that make them so special, above even, say, a Chamonix 810?

Can anyone comment on the Nagaoka 8x10? It's seemingly more in my price range.

LabRat
16-Jun-2021, 21:16
Not trying to decide anything for you, but several pros and serious amateurs I have worked with got the itch to shoot 8X10... Some rented one for a couple of weekends, and some took the plunge whole hog for an outfit (they were dedicated 4X5 shooters)... Most all of them decided it was not worth the effort and costs involved, as they had a wider choice of FL's, greater portability, ability to enlarge with common enlarger, lower costs, and a higher ratio of good to so-so with their familiar 4X5's... The ones that stuck with it were trying to charge clients more for bigger film (pros), or needed larger negs for alternative processes... But the larger systems tended to stay in their studios, or in their closets or garages waiting to be used someday...

Your call, but getting one of the new cameras (that have the bugs worked out) at least is ready to shoot, but an old camera might have several issues requiring time/money/effort to begin using...

Steve K

Tin Can
17-Jun-2021, 04:14
Everybody buys a second camera after their first choice is discarded as unworthily, too heavy, too crappy, too too

Regardless of format

Michael Kadillak
17-Jun-2021, 07:56
Everybody buys a second camera after their first choice is discarded as unworthily, too heavy, too crappy, too too

Regardless of format

Or the alternative is when they do their homework (including possibly field testing it) instead of discarding their first choice they augment it with a second camera that broadens their objectives (likely mobility/weight) issues. In complete agreement with Bernice. My tan Toyo 810M has been with me for years because it is quick, easy and stable albeit a bit on the weighty side. Hiking 5 miles +/- the Canham wooden 8x10 is in play. Longer distances on the trail the 8x10 Intrepid gets the nod. Finding a photographic personal harmonic in a world of compromise is why everyone has a divergent response to this question. But the beauty is the print does not care how it got there.

DiscoShrew
17-Jun-2021, 09:14
Does anyone have experience with any of the 8x10 Stenopeika cameras? They've just put out a new model of their Hyper Advanced 8x10 and it looks very promising.

Greg Y
17-Jun-2021, 09:26
jake0814, Not everyone on the forum is a serial 8x10 buyer. My personal approach is to buy a 'keeper' camera rather than an entry-level. As mentioned, if the cost of the camera is a squeeze, it's worth considering if 8x10 is for you. An Intrepid costs the same as 2 x 50 sheet boxes of 8x10 black & white film. There are a lot of fine used 8x10 cameras for sale. Many well known pro photographers are still using the same old camera. Jay Dusard for example is still using the same Kodak MV that he used for his book "The North American Cowboy: A Portrait" in 1983. Unlike digital cameras they don't become obsolete.

Peter De Smidt
17-Jun-2021, 10:03
Intrepid + xray film + contact printing = inexpensive.

Intrepid + Foma 200 + contact printing = moderately expensive.

Bernice Loui
17-Jun-2021, 10:13
Add:

$ for Lens.

$ for Tripod.

$ for light meter.

$ for Loupe, dark cloth, cable release, and all related items required to operate a view camera.

$ for outfit case.

$ for transport and travel if Foto_ing away from home.

$ for Film Processing.

$ for Print making.

~ Related resources including lifetime spent which is not possible to replace.

~Regardless of how images are made, these requirements apply.

Bernice

Intrepid + xray film + contact printing = inexpensive.

Intrepid + Foma 200 + contact printing = moderately expensive.

Bernice Loui
17-Jun-2021, 10:19
YES _!_

Bernice

Finding a photographic personal harmonic in a world of compromise is why everyone has a divergent response to this question. But the beauty is the print does not care how it got there.

Bernice Loui
17-Jun-2021, 10:25
Meh, All view cameras are fundamentally a light tight box that is flexi in the center with stable (ideally), adjustable ends. One end has a means to attach a lens, other end has a means to attach an image recording device be it film or solid state image sensor.

Little if anything has changed about this fundamental reality of what defines a view camera, what could possibly be applied to techno advance this fact?

Lower weight has specific trade-offs & advantages, heavy-bulky has specific advantages & trade-offs. Neither can meet all image making needs.

Bernice

Does anyone have experience with any of the 8x10 Stenopeika cameras? They've just put out a new model of their Hyper Advanced 8x10 and it looks very promising.

jamgolf
17-Jun-2021, 11:09

I purchased a Stenopeika Leonardo camera as my first 8x10. It took some time to get it but I like the camera. I like the way I can control view camera movements. The rail focusing mechanism is quite smooth and I almost don't even need to use the fine adjustment knob. It has enough bellows extension to allow me to use a Cooke XVa with its 646mm cell alone. Overall I am quite happy.

Michael Kadillak
17-Jun-2021, 11:59
I purchased a Stenopeika Leonardo camera as my first 8x10. It took some time to get it but I like the camera. I like the way I can control view camera movements. The rail focusing mechanism is quite smooth and I almost don't even need to use the fine adjustment knob. It has enough bellows extension to allow me to use a Cooke XVa with its 646mm cell alone. Overall I am quite happy.

Looks like a great camera. Plenty of great places here in Colorado to put it to use. Been exploring here for many years and still have a lot to "see".

Michael Wellman
17-Jun-2021, 13:08
The trick is find the camera that best fits your style of photography. There ins't one camera that is the best or will make you a better photographer. Take your time and look at what's available. If you can it would be nice to shoot with at least one or two camera's to see how you like them. I would look for a camera that you can have for the rest of your life. Good luck

bernardlanguillier
13-Aug-2021, 16:34
I have recently started 8x10 years after I stopped using my Ebony 45SU (that I still own).

Crazy as I am I have decided to go straight for a Chamonix 8x10 Alpinist Convertible for the field… and for a Gibellini GP810 for the studio. An approach I would absolutely not recommend to anyone. :-) But I don’t spend money on cars so… I also know that 8x10 is the right thing for me know having gone full circle with Digital cameras.

The Gibellini has just arrived so I cannot say much about it yet beside the fact that it’s a very well designed and plain splendid camera. The level of support by Alessandro is also remarkable.

For the Chamonix that arrived 5-6 weeks ago things have been good. So far most of the issues I’ve had are with film loading in the holders, but I already have a few top quality images.

For the photography itself the Chamonix is just perfect. Light, easy to use. An extremely mature design that just works the way it should.

Cheers,
Bernard

badler
4-Sep-2021, 11:09
I recently received my Svedovsky 8x10. It took about 5 months from commission to delivery. Small problem with the back and spring, but pretty easy to fix. Works well all the movements except back swing, rise and fall. The front has all the movements. Solid and nice smooth focus. Much easier than my Kodak 2D. About the same weight. 219319219319

Luis-F-S
5-Sep-2021, 08:11
One can never own too many Deardorffs.

+1 I think I'm up to 6 or 7, 4x5, 5x7 8x10 & 11x14. But they won't buy an american classic used for hundreds of thousands of images in the 50's-70's. They'd rather buy the cheapest camera made because others who may not know any more than they do will recommend it!! L