PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Public Broadcasting segment

Jim Fitzgerald
27-May-2021, 22:31
Last year I was a selected artist for a segment on me and my work. It aired on our local PBS station tonight and I must say I'm very impressed with the work the producer Jacob Pander and his team did. They captured who I am as an artist in the segment and I'm pleased to say the least.

If you care to check it out here is the link.

Thanks.

https://watch.opb.org/video/jim-fitzgerald-ir7uq9/

neil poulsen
27-May-2021, 23:15
Very nice. I enjoyed watching this video. There's palpable drama in many of the photographs.

Will you be offering workshops in this carbon process?

Jim Fitzgerald
28-May-2021, 01:39
Very nice. I enjoyed watching this video. There's palpable drama in many of the photographs.

Will you be offering workshops in this carbon process?

Neil, yes I offer one on one workshops out of my home/studio in Vancouver WA and we will be scheduling some workshops at LightBox Photographic Gallery in Astoria Oregon in the coming months as well. If you are in the Astoria area on May 29th, June 5th or 19th or July 3rd I'll be giving talks about my carbon process and handmade books. You have to see the prints to really get their full impact. Glad you got the chance to watch the segment.

Tin Can
28-May-2021, 03:29
Congratulations Jim!

Great video

You present well

and you are mentor!

drewf64
28-May-2021, 05:57
Congratulations, Jim!
Great PBS video ... they captured the sincere passion you have for your work, your exquisite carbon transfer images, and your love of Mother Nature!
Outstanding.
Thank you for sharing!

Chuck Pere
28-May-2021, 06:40
Beautiful video. It would be great to see a show of your work in person.

Renato Tonelli
28-May-2021, 07:01
I enjoyed the video so much; congratulations.
Your passion is infectious.

Willie
28-May-2021, 07:50
In watching I see you are not wearing dark glasses while exposing the print. Isn't the light source high in UV light?

Many I have seen have the light blocked so they are not viewing it. Curtains and such as well as darker UV protection glasses.

The video is well done and you look good.

Jim Fitzgerald
28-May-2021, 07:52
Congratulations Jim!

Great video

You present well

and you are mentor!

Thanks very much. My friend Logan is an awesome person and I'm so happy to have inspired him.

Jim Fitzgerald
28-May-2021, 07:53
Congratulations, Jim!
Great PBS video ... they captured the sincere passion you have for your work, your exquisite carbon transfer images, and your love of Mother Nature!
Outstanding.
Thank you for sharing!
Drew, I was kind of speechless last night. Still can't believe how well done it was. So lucky to have this.

Jim Fitzgerald
28-May-2021, 07:56
Beautiful video. It would be great to see a show of your work in person.

Chuck, thanks and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have a show up at LightBox Photographic Gallery in Astoria Oregon until July 6th. I will be part of a group show in Pennsylvania in September.

Jim Fitzgerald
28-May-2021, 07:58
I enjoyed the video so much; congratulations.
Your passion is infectious.

Renato, yes I'm very passionate when it comes to the things I love. The producer saw that early on and it is why the piece came out so nice. I'm so proud to have bared my soul for all to see.

Jim Fitzgerald
28-May-2021, 08:01
In watching I see you are not wearing dark glasses while exposing the print. Isn't the light source high in UV light?

Many I have seen have the light blocked so they are not viewing it. Curtains and such as well as darker UV protection glasses.

The video is well done and you look good.

Willie, thanks for noticing that. The curtains were off for the effect. I never stand in front of my NuArc 26 1ks and look at the light I'm generally not in the room. I'm very pleased that you liked the segment and my wife though I looked good too!

JayJayOkocha
28-May-2021, 09:44
Great work Jim, very inspiring.

Jim Fitzgerald
28-May-2021, 10:38
Great work Jim, very inspiring.

Thanks. If I inspired you then that makes me happy.

Drew Wiley
28-May-2021, 14:58
That's so nice that they gave you some air time. It was a very pleasant video showing the two sides of you as both a printmaker and camera builder.

Jim Fitzgerald
28-May-2021, 15:38
That's so nice that they gave you some air time. It was a very pleasant video showing the two sides of you as both a printmaker and camera builder.

Drew, thank you. Glad you enjoyed it.

William Whitaker
28-May-2021, 16:12
I had wanted to watch this last night, but it started a bit late for the east coast. Thank you Jim for offering it here. And thanks for sharing your passion and your enthusiasm with us!
Heartfelt congratulations!

Jim Fitzgerald
28-May-2021, 16:39
I had wanted to watch this last night, but it started a bit late for the east coast. Thank you Jim for offering it here. And thanks for sharing your passion and your enthusiasm with us!
Heartfelt congratulations!

William you're welcome. It was a joyous night last night and I just had to share. So glad you enjoyed it.

G Benaim
28-May-2021, 21:20
Wonderful, thanks for sharing, your whole approach, from camera building to carbon printing is very inspiring.

Jim Fitzgerald
28-May-2021, 21:46
Wonderful, thanks for sharing, your whole approach, from camera building to carbon printing is very inspiring.

Thanks very much.

Dean Lastoria
29-May-2021, 00:02
Great video! Congratulations! and I love your work!

Jim Fitzgerald
29-May-2021, 07:49
Great video! Congratulations! and I love your work!

Dean, thanks a lot. I'm glad you enjoyed the segment.

Keith Pitman
29-May-2021, 08:42
Bravo, Jim.

Jim Fitzgerald
29-May-2021, 08:55
Bravo, Jim.

Keith, thanks very much. It was fun.

Vaughn
29-May-2021, 09:46
Great interview, Jim.

A quick digital photo then invert of a 5x7 neg of Jim at work/play/inspiration in the Humboldt Redwoods, 2021...

My reproduction is not as sharp as the negative or the pictured photographer.
Edit -- changed the image...a touch better.
5x7, Fuji W 180mm, f22 at 5 seconds, TMax400, PyrocatHD

sanking
29-May-2021, 11:51
Very nice interview, Jim. Congratulations.

Jim is one of a handful of people in the world with expertise in printing carbon with very large continuous tone film negatives.

Sandy

Mark Woods
29-May-2021, 13:36
Great doc Jim!! I'm happy that you'er pursuing your passion.

Ron McElroy
29-May-2021, 15:36
I just now watched this and it is WONDERFUL. Great to see.

Old_Dick
29-May-2021, 17:51
Watched it twice. Thanks for the inspiration Jim.

Jim Fitzgerald
29-May-2021, 18:12
Great interview, Jim.

A quick digital photo then invert of a 5x7 neg of Jim at work/play/inspiration in the Humboldt Redwoods, 2021...

My reproduction is not as sharp as the negative or the pictured photographer.
Edit -- changed the image...a touch better.
5x7, Fuji W 180mm, f22 at 5 seconds, TMax400, PyrocatHD

Vaughn, it is always special when we get a chance to go out together. I remember that day and was bewildered when I asked you what you were shooting and you said me! It will always be a great memory. Thanks very much.

Jim Fitzgerald
29-May-2021, 18:13
Very nice interview, Jim. Congratulations.

Jim is one of a handful of people in the world with expertise in printing carbon with very large continuous tone film negatives.

Sandy

Sandy, thank you. It is pure joy when the people you respect in the carbon world say such nice things. Very special to me so thanks.

Jim Fitzgerald
29-May-2021, 18:15
Great doc Jim!! I'm happy that you'er pursuing your passion.

Mark, thank you. I got a taste of your world and it was a lot of fun. The crew was awesome and the editing spot on. I couldn't believe how nice it came out. These guys are top notch.

Jim Fitzgerald
29-May-2021, 18:16
I just now watched this and it is WONDERFUL. Great to see.

Ron, thank you. Glad you enjoyed it.

Jim Fitzgerald
29-May-2021, 18:16
Watched it twice. Thanks for the inspiration Jim.

Glad I could send some inspiration your way!

Vaughn
29-May-2021, 19:37
Vaughn, it is always special when we get a chance to go out together. I remember that day and was bewildered when I asked you what you were shooting and you said me! It will always be a great memory. Thanks very much.

Well...you were pretty focused, pun totally intended! I did not have to ask you to hold still for 5 seconds!

Gary Beasley
29-May-2021, 20:37
Thank you Jim, quite an interesting subject you are sharing with us.

popdoc
29-May-2021, 20:43
Outstanding!
An inspiration!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugo Zhang
29-May-2021, 20:47
Jim,

It is really inspiring and I feel like spending time with you again. Hope to see mt old friend someday!

Jeffrey Arthur
29-May-2021, 21:24
Jim, what a moving profile. Thanks for being forthcoming with what you have learned over the years. You were instrumental in getting me hooked on carbon and ULF. The information on the segment reflects your willingness to pass this art form on for others to reap what you have sown.

Jim Fitzgerald
29-May-2021, 23:43
Thank you everyone. If I have helped inspire then run with it and create. Glad to know I can help. I was fortunate to have a wonderful collaboration with the talented artist who did this production.

Merg Ross
30-May-2021, 08:19
Jim, wonderful to see you in action; a very fine production. Congratulations!

This video is an excellent portrayal of an inspired and dedicated artist, with both qualities presented in a compelling manner. Particularly appealing is the way that your work and methods inspired Logan to take the plunge. Others will follow. And that, inspiring others, is the reward for all of your hard work.

Your contributions to the photographic art are very much appreciated; beautiful work. Carry on! (Thanks for your PM)

All the best,

Merg

Jim Fitzgerald
30-May-2021, 09:37
Jim, wonderful to see you in action; a very fine production. Congratulations!

This video is an excellent portrayal of an inspired and dedicated artist, with both qualities presented in a compelling manner. Particularly appealing is the way that your work and methods inspired Logan to take the plunge. Others will follow. And that, inspiring others, is the reward for all of your hard work.

Your contributions to the photographic art are very much appreciated; beautiful work. Carry on! (Thanks for your PM)

All the best,

Merg

Merg, I'm very happy you enjoyed it. Thanks for your support and inspiration as well.

nbagno
30-May-2021, 12:57
That was excellent. I’m heading up to the redwoods tomorrow, this video makes me want to leave right now! Very well done, congratulations.

Jim Fitzgerald
30-May-2021, 13:28
That was excellent. I’m heading up to the redwoods tomorrow, this video makes me want to leave right now! Very well done, congratulations.

That's great! If you get a chance stop be sure to visit Rockefeller Forest in the Humboldt Redwoods. 90% of my 8x20 work is done in this forest. You can see the book I did about the forest on my website. Glad you enjoyed the segment.

stawastawa
10-Nov-2021, 21:35
Thank you for sharing Jim! I love that story line of your relationship with Logan and what he has to say about you and the process. And I enjoyed seeing your tools and workspace!

I am so grateful you brought your prints to the Portland Photography Forum some years ago. such a gift to see them and meet you. Nice to meet you a bit more and hear how immersed you are in the various facets of this art. You are an inspiration to me to keep going the slow and winding ways I go! huzzah bookbinding!

blessings, ~n

Jim Fitzgerald
11-Nov-2021, 10:01
Thank you for sharing Jim! I love that story line of your relationship with Logan and what he has to say about you and the process. And I enjoyed seeing your tools and workspace!

I am so grateful you brought your prints to the Portland Photography Forum some years ago. such a gift to see them and meet you. Nice to meet you a bit more and hear how immersed you are in the various facets of this art. You are an inspiration to me to keep going the slow and winding ways I go! huzzah bookbinding!

blessings, ~n

It was a joy for me to do this segment. I never thought that I would be asked to do something like this. So glad you enjoyed it and found inspiration in the segment.