PDA

View Full Version : Wollensak Versar Portrait & View lens

Randy_5116
7-Feb-2006, 12:55
I recently acquired this lens included with another deal and have not found much info on it. Somewhere I read that the portrait versars were also convertible-type lenses. YES/NO? And, this lens is in an old Autex shutter that sometimes will work, and sometimes has a mind of its own as to what speed it wants to shoot at, anywhere from B to 1/500+.

I guess my questions are: Is this lens worth taking time and effort to find a new shutter for, or would it make a better paper-weight than shooter? What kind of look can I expect? Are they indeed able to be used as convertible lens? I have read that it is a soft-focus, and that it is a sharp lens both. Any real-time users of one that can give a definitive answer?

I am bellows away from having the camera this came with ready for use. AAAAGGGGHHHHH!!! What is it that deludes a person into believing bellows construction is a "piece of cake"?

brook
7-Feb-2006, 13:06
Lots of good info here.
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/
look under "info about cameras" link

Ernest Purdum
7-Feb-2006, 17:49
The Versar is indeed a convertible. The two cells are the same focal length, about double that of the combination.. Wollensak stated it to be useful for portraits wide open, but needed to be slightly stopped down for general photography. They also pointed out that the corners of the rated plate size would lack definition unless the lens were stopped down to f11 or smaller. From these comments, I gather that although Wollensak never used the term "soft focus" it would not be very sharp wide open.

I doubt if a replacement shutter would be practical, but the one you have is a fairly simple item, very possibly only wanting cleaning to become at least somewhat useful.

It was made in eight sizes, from the 4X5 at 6 1/2" to the 17x20 at 22 1'2". Which one do you have?

Regarding cost, it was a trifle more expensive than a Verito (not today!), a little less than a Vesta and much less than a Vitax.

Randy_5116
7-Feb-2006, 18:21
The lens is the 5x7. From the address brook listed, it shows 8 1/2 inch fl. The camera it was on is an 8x10 conley new view, that was used as an enlarger in an old studio. It has the 5x7 reducing back and extension rail with it though. The shutter is shot. The speed lever is no longer attached to anything inside the shutter. It just kinda flops around. And whatever it used to be attached to kinda rattles and does the same thing. Hence the "push the button and hope the setting is the one you needed" kind of deal. Course with my high level of expertise, I get the same results even with a newer shutter. ;-)

Jon Wilson
7-Feb-2006, 20:21
Your shutter may or may not be repairable. I strongly encourage you to contact Carol at
http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/

She is a true gem at repairing and servicing shutters. She has repaired/serviced my studio shutter through modern copals. It is definitely worth an email or call.

BTW, the versar is a nice portrait lens IMO.

Jim Galli
8-Feb-2006, 09:53
The Versar was a Rapid Rectilinear type. At f6 it's 2/3 stop faster than it's even more ordinary ilk. It is tack sharp in the center then degrades as it moves out from there. Personally it is too sharp too far into the field to be of much interest to me. I have used one stopped down to f22 for portraits that I wanted to be wirey sharp. Put a packard inside that Conley and forget about the funky shutter except for it's aperture. It IS worth playing with.

Jim Noel
29-Apr-2019, 11:07
I assume this is an old thread, but I recently broke out a 6.5x8.5 Versar mounted in a nicely working AUtex shutter. The shutter fires within 1/3 stop repeatedly. In later publications Wollensak described the lens as one with "controlled diffusion". It is described as diffused between f6 and f8. the recommendation is to focus justin front of primary subject area as there is no DOF in front of that point.My tests indicate this is true. The suggestion for portraits is to focus not on the highlights in the eyes,but on the tip of the nose.
Today and tomorrow I will test it and compare to Wollaston lenses using strobes.
My intent is to use it to make some portraits on dry glass plates of my wife and two oldest adult daughters next weekend.

Louis Pacilla
29-Apr-2019, 11:51
Hey Jim I believe your mixing the Veritar w/ the Vesar.

The Veritar is a updated version of the Verito w/ a landscape lens in the rear & a modifier lens up front.
The Vesar was/is a fast f6 Rapid Rectilinear and not at all soft. It does make a nice portrait lens because the field is not as flat as with an anastigmatic lens

So again Vesra= fast f6 Rapid Rectilinear and Veritar = f6 updated Verito f4 Diffused focus lens

Jim Noel
13-Sep-2019, 15:01
To pick up on this old thread,I am not mixing up the Versar (not Vesar) and the Veritar. I have both plus a Verito.

Louis Pacilla
13-Sep-2019, 15:23
To pick up on this old thread,I am not mixing up the Versar (not Vesar) and the Veritar. I have both plus a Verito.

Typo (Versar) & I stand corrected big guy!