PDA

View Full Version : Can someone identify this focusing accessory?

claus
16-May-2021, 09:07
Hello there,

I was watching this video (https://youtu.be/ysSndDEJvp4) about the german photographers Ute and Werner Mahler, and I would love to know what kind of focusing accessory they're using on their Linhof.

Here are some images of it:

It looks like a bellows magnifier. Does anyone have experience using one of these?

Thanks!

Jim Noel
16-May-2021, 09:11
It is a monocular magnifier built into a bag bellows.

claus
16-May-2021, 09:16
It is a monocular magnifier built into a bag bellows.

Is it handmade?

sharktooth
16-May-2021, 09:41
I have a Linhof version, so I assume that they have the same one.

It seemed like a good idea, so that's why I got it. In actual use it's not really that great. The eyepiece is a magnifier, so it's no good for viewing the whole screen. As a magnifier, it's rather awkward, and I'd prefer to use a conventional loupe. I'm thinking of adapting mine so that I could swap out the magnifier via some kind of hinged mechanism so I can see the whole screen.

Bob Salomon
16-May-2021, 10:51

It seemed like a good idea, so that's why I got it. In actual use it's not really that great. The eyepiece is a magnifier, so it's no good for viewing the whole screen. As a magnifier, it's rather awkward, and I'd prefer to use a conventional loupe. I'm thinking of adapting mine so that I could swap out the magnifier via some kind of hinged mechanism so I can see the whole screen.

The original Focus/Metering Bellows had a single 2x magnifier which would let you view the entire gg at 2x magnification.
The current version has 2 2x magnifiers screwed together. Used together they give 4x magnification for focusing. Unscrewing the top one gives 2x that allows you to view the entire gg. If you will use the bellows for metering then you also use just one 2x eyepiece and a microscope adapter on your meter. To do the metering you will have to have the fresnel lens on the gg.

Jim Noel
16-May-2021, 11:47
Is it handmade?

Probably not. Both Linhof and Sinar made these, as well as possibly other manufacturers.

Per Madsen
18-May-2021, 11:00
Toyo have one too.

Number FH45L.

Rubber hood with magnifer

mpirie
18-May-2021, 13:38

It seemed like a good idea, so that's why I got it. In actual use it's not really that great.
Likewise.....i got one too because it seemed like a good idea, but in practice it's next to useless!

You're constantly moving back and forth trying to keep focus on the screen......better off with a dark cloth and a normal loupe!

You can't even leave it on to protect the screen because the focus lens creates a high-spot that could damage the ground glass if struck.

Mike

sharktooth
19-May-2021, 10:28
Yes, exactly. It does lot's of things, but all of them poorly, so it's really just a waste of time and money.

I do find the reflex viewer useful, however, although it is quite bulky to carry around. I like the upright image for viewing, but you still need a loupe for fine focusing. That would be my recommendation if you're looking for a viewing alternative. Still though, it's not better than a dark cloth and loupe, just different, if the situation warrants.

claus
31-May-2021, 14:25
Do you know if Wista made one of those? I'm wondering if I can use a Toyo or Linhof back accessory with my Wista.

Greg
31-May-2021, 14:50
In actual use it's not really that great.

I acquired the Sinar version for use on my Sinar and concur... I used mine a couple of times and then shelved it.