PDA

View Full Version : new Fotoman cameras... emerging from the vapor?

Oren Grad
6-Feb-2006, 16:19
Was just over at the Badger Graphic site to order a lensboard and I noticed that the Fotoman LF listing has been updated. Now it's projecting March 2006 delivery, but they've added pictures that look like finished product for both the 4x5 and 8x10 P&S cameras. There's also a new one - a 4x10 P&S camera, though no pictures of that one yet. I guess they've been reading Kerry's stuff. Nothing new yet on the Fotoman site, alas.

Links to the Badger info from here:

www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=109 (http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=109)

Roger Richards
6-Feb-2006, 16:28
I wonder if the viewfinder mount will accept the Linhof multifocus finder. That would be a plus.

Jerry Fusselman
6-Feb-2006, 16:53
I have mounted the Linhof multifocus finder on my Fotoman 624 with no problem, but I am also getting the new Fotoman 624 viewfinder. Anyway, Fotoman's accessory shoes seem completely standard to me.

Roger Richards
6-Feb-2006, 18:33
Jerry, what is the build quality like with the Fotoman line? I am intrigued by the 6x12 and the 4x5 P&S. The 6x12 looks pretty sturdy, but the big queston has to do with the tolerances and film flatness.

Brian Vuillemenot
6-Feb-2006, 19:53
Really makes me wonder what type of 4X10 film holder their 4X10 will take...

Oren Grad
6-Feb-2006, 20:01
Roger, the Fotoman roll film cameras are supposed to have quite good film flatness, because the film path doesn't have the backward twist typical of separate roll holders, and if I recall correctly it's also possible to use the knobs to tension the film.

As for the 4x10 holder type, I really do hope Paul Droluk has been following Kerry's writings on the topic...

Kerry L. Thalmann
6-Feb-2006, 20:12
Oren - As for the 4x10 holder type, I really do hope Paul Droluk has been following Kerry's writings on the topic...

I "consulted" with Paul Droluk on the design of the 4x10 Fotoman. By "consulted", I mean I recommended (strongly) that they base their design on Keith Canham's 4x10 film holders. They are the most readily available and least expensive (by far) 4x10 film holders. As a result, the Fotoman 410 Point & Shoot will be compatible with the Canham holders.

Like the 4x5 and 8x10 models, the Fotoman 410 will have the new, improved Fotoman helical focus mount and view finder. Coupled with a wide angle lens, like the 110mm Super Symmar XL, it should be a fun camera to use - and at $899.95, it is priced attractively as well.

Kerry

Jerry Fusselman
6-Feb-2006, 22:25
Roger, on the Fotoman 624, I wasted a few rolls of film checking film flatness, and it looks excellent to me. (Some of my other roll-film holders had to be repaired.) The build quality is terrific---so rigid that you could use it as a hammer if you had to.

When you switch lenses, you only fog one image---the film is that flat. Or zero images if you have not yet wound to the first frame.

Oren, yes you are right, you can indeed back up the film if you wind too far, and you can use the backwinding knob also to tension and further flatten the film. I wish all of my roll-film holders could do the same trick.

GPS
7-Feb-2006, 02:26
In September 04 Paul Droluk was touting (on Photo.net) this camera as having the 47 -210 mm lens range and the possibility of 18 mm movement in 4 directions. What happened to this idea? Also, Fotoman announces its price as 599.95 $...

Paul Droluk
7-Feb-2006, 03:09
Hello all. Yes we are "emerging from the vapor", or rather from our move to new digs. Roger... the Linhof Multifocus Finder will fit, though it's a lot heavier than ours and doesn't have an internally viewable bubble level. Kerry... I wouldn't dream of not taking your advise. The Canham holder is the one we've based our 4x10 on, but I think your recent aticles have created a shortage. We've been waiting a month for ours and still no promise date. We actually have a 4x10 prototype camera (and cone for 110XL) and we'll be posting pic's on our site as soon as it is anodized and coated. gps... our original 4x5 design (w/4-way shift) proved to be problematic from a manufacturing standpoint. The ability to use movements will however become available when we launch our bellows adapters in mid-summer. They will replace the cone, but affix to the camera in the same manner, and offer rise/fall/shift and tilt. Their will be a bellows adapter for each of our cameras... 612, 617, 624, 4x5, 4x10 and 8x10. Lastly, we are working feverishly on our new website which we hope to have up and running by March 1st.

Scott Fleming
7-Feb-2006, 04:15
Promise me the bellows will be available and I will definitely buy one of your 4 x 5 cameras. May God bless your efforts. Looks like a superb unit.

GPS
7-Feb-2006, 04:45
Paul, with the bellows adapter, will it be possible to use longer lenses - up to 210mm? How about a Calumet 6x12 or 6x9 roll film holder - will they fit?

Dan Jolicoeur
7-Feb-2006, 06:35
It looks very similar to the Graflex XL Hybrid Ultra Wide at bigcamera.com

Wayne Crider
7-Feb-2006, 07:19
When I looked at the image of the 4x5 camera, it seems that the back has a slot where you insert a holder. Is this correct? If so it would not allow a standard rollfilm holder. Also, is there a ground glass with the camera?

Paul Droluk
7-Feb-2006, 09:08
Scott, thanks for your wishes and yes... we promise. gps, ultimately there will be two bellows units for each camera model... a short bellows unit for WA lenses (say up to 110mm on 4x5) and a long bellows unit for Long lenses. How long? We won't really know until we get into prototyping, but at least 210mm on 4x5. The short bellows units will be introduced first with the long units following. Using our Cones and HFM the camera will accomidate lenses from 47-180mm as well as telephoto designs from 250-300mm. Dan, I was hoping you would have said Technar or Handy. Wayne, the 45PS camera accepts standard, quickload, readyload and Polaroid film holders, and a body extension spacer will be avialable for you Grafmatic users. However the camera does NOT have a Graflok back, as the camera is too small to accomidate one... you can't use any Graflok style backs or accessories. An insertible Ground Glass Holder is included... it's the exact shape and size as a standard sheet film holder. A darkslide is incorporated on the back of the camera for GG viewing. A couple if other tidbits... there are 1/4" and 3/8" interchangeable tripod sockets on the bottom and left side of the camera. The right handle is removeable, and a pistol grip will also be offered.

Roger Richards
7-Feb-2006, 09:12
Thanks for your replies, Oren, Paul and Jerry.

This whole series of cameras are an exciting addition to our choices at a time when so many are touting the death of film :-)

Struan Gray
7-Feb-2006, 14:10
That's all very well, but do they have a "Call Spock" button?

CXC
7-Feb-2006, 20:48
Paul, the bellows on a 612 or 617 is what gets my blood boiling. To me the only movement that matters is rise -- the more the better!

I'm pondering what lenses I would use. I'm curious about what others use; do you have any ballpark figures or general idea about sales of the various cone sizes? Am I right in guessing that folks stick with the wider lenses? The two pano cameras I already own (Widelux, Veriwide) I feel both are too wide, so I'm thinking around 150 on the 612 would suit me.

Thanks for all the info, by the way.

GPS
8-Feb-2006, 01:58
No, not all folks goes for the wider lenses. I'm looking for the longer lenses, those that go behind CamboWide, Silvestri, Alpha etc. range of lenses.

Paul Droluk
8-Feb-2006, 04:41
CXC... rest assured that rise will receive more consideration than any other movement. As far as lens selction goes... wider lenses are the most popular initial purchase. Users who add lenses usually add longer ones. The most popular wide lenses... for 612 a tie between 58 and 65, for 617 the 90mm. For longer lenses... for 612 a tie between 135 and 150, for 617 also a tie between 150 and 180.

Phillip Smith
8-Feb-2006, 08:54
Paul, will the 4x5 accept a scanning back insert?

Paul Droluk
8-Feb-2006, 11:38
Phillip... will our 45PS accept a scanning back? I honestly don't know. If you can direct me to a site that gives envelope dimensions for the scanning back I'll be happy to get back to you with an answer.

Wayne Crider
8-Feb-2006, 16:03
Paul I thought I read something somewhere about the camera being set up for Schneider's lenses? As a 135mm Fuji shooter which I would intend to use on your 45PS, is the cone produced to allow for infinity focus based on the differences in back focus between different lenses?

Paul Droluk
8-Feb-2006, 20:02
Wayne...all of our cameras can accept lenses from all of the majors (Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikon and Fuji), so yes your 135 Fuji will work fine. We accomplish this by supplying combinations of Cones, Cone Spacers, and Shims to match the Cone Assembly length to the FFD of the lens being used to within 1 mm. But no two lenses have exactly the same FFD... even same lenses from the same maker. Most manufacturers have a tolerance of around +/- 0.5 % allowable deviation for focal length. This deviation is the only thing the user must adjust for, and it is accomplished during calibration of the mounted lens/HFM on the camera. Our HFM incorporates a +/- 1 mm of FFD adjustment capability. You simply mount the Cone Assembly (Cone/HFM/Lens) on your camera, and using a loupe and GG (supplied) adjust a the HFM for sharp infinity focus visually. Once infinity focus is verified visually, you rotate a ring on the HFM and tighten 3 screws. Viola... all distances are now calibrated for sharp focus.

Oren Grad
8-Feb-2006, 20:17
Paul, do you know yet what the weight of the 4x5 and 8x10 cameras will be?

William Barnett-Lewis
8-Feb-2006, 22:49
What about using an old Kodak Ektar 127/4.7 in a #2 Kodak Supermatic shutter? It's a lens from an old Speed Graphic and I like the look it gives.

Thanks,

William

Paul Droluk
9-Feb-2006, 23:14
Oren... the weight of the 45PS camera body is .56 kg (1.23 lb), William... our HFM can only accept #0 and #1 shutter sizes.