PDA

View Full Version : Oiling the bellows?

Andrew Ito
6-Feb-2006, 15:27
I just bought a used Ebony 45SU and the bellows seem to be a bit dry in comparison to the 23S bellows that I had. On the Ebony site, they recommend mink oil to keep the bellows in good condition. I've read here that it's "a bit aggressive". Any recommendations? And where can I find mink oil?

David Richhart
6-Feb-2006, 16:49
Outdoors people frequently use mink oil on leather, so try sports stores that handle camping and hiking supplies. Also try shoe stores. Mink oil is used to treat leather work boots and hiking shoes. -Dave

Kirk Gittings
6-Feb-2006, 17:06
On a related note my new aftermarket bellows is "sticky" on the outside. The pleats stick together if the camera is left folded for a couple of weeks. Ant ideas?

Steve Feldman
6-Feb-2006, 17:20
First, ya gotta find a mink.

All seriousness aside I've heard that Pledge furniture polish is fine on leather and vinyl bellows. But not on cloth covered.

Now, where'd I leave that mink?

Andrew Ito
6-Feb-2006, 17:27
I'm not into slaughtering endangered species. Even if it will help my beloved Ebony! I've also heard that the mink oil that's used for waterproofing boots and such isn't very high quality or is just a small percentage of actual mink oil and a large percentage of other oils.

Juergen Sattler
6-Feb-2006, 18:08
Kirk - your sticky bellows is kind of normal. Every time I get a new bellows from Camera Bellows in the UK it sticks for a couple of weeks - but then it lets go:-) Seriously - it should get better as time goes on - I don't know that there's anything you can do.

Juergen

Steve Hamley
6-Feb-2006, 19:14
Some mink oils have silicone in them and should be avoided. The brand recommended to me by a custom leather manufacturer was "Smiling Mink", which supposedly does not. It is at least whiter than any other I've seen. It's still manufactered, just "Google" it.

Pledge works very well, even on fabric covered bellows. It is however, not waterproof at all if that interests you. Custom rodders use it on paint because it makes paint look better than anything else, but if it showers at an outdoor rod show you can always tell; it looks like milk pouring off the cars and bikes.

Steve

Lee Hamiel
6-Feb-2006, 19:22
Well: Answer to your first question: http://www.mtpitchblend.com/

May also consider simply getting meltonian neutral leather conditioner.

I have also used Maguires leather conditioner/cleaning wipes with good results - Kirk - maybe you should try some of these to eliminate the sticking? Just wipe down afterwards & buff clean.

Daniel Blakeslee
6-Feb-2006, 19:23
I have an Ebony SV45U and I use mink oil on the bellows and Pledge on the camera. This combination works fine for me.

Andrew Ito
6-Feb-2006, 20:02
Thanks Steve! I ordered some Smiling Mink oil online. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

John Kasaian
7-Feb-2006, 00:31
Commercial mink oil comes from ranch raised mink (unless you're in to DIY catching minks) Any good sporting goods store should have it. I like pure neatsfoot oil(not the compound) or glycerin(Bently's) for softening leather. Avoid petroleum based stuff(which is whats contained in neatsfoot compounds.) You could also try a pure lanolin hand lotion.