Tin Can
12-May-2021, 09:45
https://www.pencilofrays.com/lens-design-forms/

The principal wants to know where to go now with research

I am new this year to this very interesting blog

Anybody else on board?

fotopfw
12-May-2021, 11:09
I am. I read as much as I can, to jog the brain, assuming I have one.

Nodda Duma
12-May-2021, 15:29
A good site. Very basic, but he knows optics and more importantly looks like he has a “feel” for how they work.

Vaidotas
12-May-2021, 16:18
#metoo

And interesting newsletters.

peter brooks
14-May-2021, 12:50
Anybody else on board?

I am now, fascinating stuff. Thanks for pointing it out Randy.

J. Patric Dahlen
15-May-2021, 15:18
A good site. Very basic, but he knows optics and more importantly looks like he has a “feel” for how they work.

I think sites like that are very much needed. There are lots of people like me who are interested in lenses and want to learn more, like what the purpose is of this or that lens element in classic lenses and why they were designed that way, and it's explained in a way we can understand. You as a lens designer knows the mathematics, but it flies way over my head. It's still interesting, though, as long as it's explained what it means. :)

Nodda Duma
15-May-2021, 16:18
I think sites like that are very much needed. There are lots of people like me who are interested in lenses and want to learn more, like what the purpose is of this or that lens element in classic lenses and why they were designed that way, and it's explained in a way we can understand. You as a lens designer knows the mathematics, but it flies way over my head. It's still interesting, though, as long as it's explained what it means. :)

Just to be clear I’m not a mathematician :) , I’m a lens designer. I design optics that are built (the initial prototypes by me) and used in imaging and laser systems and which do what they’re supposed to. I know the math, but good lens design has only a foundation of math: It’s important to know but will not get you a good, producible working lens. That’s true across many disciplines.

I can explain optics in a way that non optical folks will understand — I do that everyday at work. Heck, I often need to understand what a lens is going to do in a real, non-mathematical way myself. Probably means I design optics by instinct now. In any case, fortunately I don’t need to do that online as websites such as the above exists. :)

Paul Ron
16-May-2021, 07:46
thank. i started reading it on line, a bit lengthy. im looking for the pdf version so i can dowload n read off line. i signed up as well. interesting stuff like this always gets my attension.