View Full Version : Jobo drums

6-Feb-2006, 10:17
I'm new to JOBO drum processors and the info that came w/ a recently aquired used CPP2 is rather scant. The purchase included several smaller tanks and reels that apparently are marked for 35 and 120 film and there are two larger drums that I'm guessing were originally bought for print processing. I can find no identifying markings to tell me what model these larger ones are. One is about 5-1/2" in diameter and 11-1/2" long. The other is the same diameter and twice as long. It appears that depending on which internal ribs are used it seems possible to fit 5x7 or 8x10 negatives inside. Alas, not 4x5s. Can anyone tell me which model drums these are so as to know capacities etc? Is it possible to use these drums for film processing? I'm interested in using the the JOBO for LF processing and work (well, play around) in several formats. I'd like not to have to buy any more drums than necessary. Is there recommended site out there on the web on how these are used and what drums are for what process? Also. I noted somewhere that for certain drums a lift is necessary according to the seller. Why can't one just remove the drum and pour regardless of the size/model?
A lot of questions to ask I realize, thanks in advance for any help.


Bruce Watson
6-Feb-2006, 10:20
I'd start looking here (http://www.jobousadarkroom.com/products.htm#Tanks%20and%20Drums).

6-Feb-2006, 10:27
Well you could try the Jobo website -)

If the tanks have ribs inside they are print drums. I use print drums for 5x7 and 8x10. I've never tried them for 4x5. If you're film tanks are 2500 types and not the older ones then you could just buy a 2509N reel for the tank.


That's the film tanks. The print tanks look the same from the outside but are labeled 28xx.

6-Feb-2006, 11:46
Bruce, Nick,
Thanks, I've been to the JOBO site a number of times. My tanks don't look like the 2500 or the 2800 series. There are no markings on them, and the tops are different. Perhaps they are the older ones that Nick mentions. In film/print capacity they are the maybe the equivalent of the 2830 and 2870 but I didn't see how 4x5 could be used in mine while the JOBO chart indicates can be done in those models.

6-Feb-2006, 12:54
With the print tanks you put the paper between the ribs. On the 2800 type tanks you have three ribs on one side and one opposite the group of three. Depending on the format you use different ribs. I don't know about 4x5. It's not exactly a common print format so I wouldn't be suprised if it wouldn't fit tightly between the ribs.

All I can really say is to take an exposed piece of scrap film and try it. If you can fit the film between the ribs then you're good to go.

Ted Harris
6-Feb-2006, 14:14
I forget which series drums it is but when you use them for filmprocessing there are inserts similar to the 120 and 220 film inserst that you slide the 4x5 sheets into ... supposedly 6 sheets per reel but I was never comfortble with more than 3 or 4 sheets per reel,not to mention that I always found them a pain in the butt to use. Life is a whole lot simpler if you get yourself one of the Expert Drums.